Buy Used Oil Fired Boiler?

Sassanach

Post by Sassanach » Sat. Sep. 13, 2014 4:43 pm

I need to replace my oil fired steam boiler because the casting is cracked. I don't want to spend money on a new one because I would like to convert to natural gas next summer. I see a lot of posts from people who have bought used anthracite fired boilers and furnaces. I suppose the main consideration in buying a boiler is that it has no leaks. Do any of you test the boiler before buying? If so, how? My other question is how the heck do I wrangle a 600lb. or so unit through my house and down the stairs to my basement?

Thanks

Boots
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham SFB 101 (sold)

Post by Boots » Sat. Sep. 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Lots of people here have purchased usex boilers, including myself. My first used boiler I only visually checked and had no issues with it. My second used boiler, my current Ka-6 I purchased directly from Keystoker. They are a reputable manufacturer and they pressure test every unit new and used. If the used unit you are looking at is still in service you will get a better idea of its condition than if the unit has already been disconnected It could still be pressure tested, but it would take a lot of work. Also you would need the sellers permission/help to do this. As far as getting the boiler in it would be best if you had outside access to the basement, but its not a deal breaker if you dont. First thing is to make sure the boiler you are looking at will fit down your stair well. Second, make sure your stairs will support the weight. If not you will have to support them. After that it a matter of getting some friends and heavy duty hand trucks. One tip is to tie the handtruck off to something sturdy, like some boards across the opening of a door opening with a comealong and slowly lower it down. Just do not get between gravity and the boiler!

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Sun. Sep. 14, 2014 7:06 am

Boots wrote: Just do not get between gravity and the boiler!
If you forget everything else, heed this advice. Was just a year or so ago on this board someone had a boiler fall on them and this person did the job for a living I believe.

Good luck finding your boiler :)

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Sep. 14, 2014 9:07 am

BRING enough HORSEPOWER. I don't care how rugged you are, Murphy's Law says you will NOT outsmart common sense. There are boilers all over for sale where folks have gone to Natural Gas......
Incredible prices...they want them gone. Careful about anything that has been sitting for a long time unused.....

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”