Burn Anthracite Coal / Petcoke in a Firewood Oven

Can I burn anthracite and/or pet coke smokeless briquettes in my FIREWOOD oven?

Poll ended at Sun. Aug. 31, 2014 3:14 pm

YES
100%
YES, BUT NEED A GRATE LIKE THE PHOTO BELOW
No votes
YES, BUT NEED TO ADD THE GRATE AND DEFINITELY OTHER ADAPTATIONS, SUCH AS AN EXTERNAL AIR FACILITY
No votes
NOT AT ALL
No votes

Total votes: 1

anovelli
Other Heating: Amesti Firewood Stove

Post by anovelli » Sat. Aug. 16, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi,

I´ve got an AMESTI firewood oven (http://gardeco.co.uk/product.php?PrID=618[/url]) and I am wondering whether I can burn anthracite and/or pet coke smokeless briquettes in my oven with the addition of a multifuel grate like this one: ([url]http://charnwood.com/multifuel-grate.aspx)

I´ve read they they are much more efficient, cost effective and burn for longer hours. It would be nice to have one burning all night long without need for adding more firewood.

Are there any other adaptations required?
Any risks or concerns?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

AMEST_TECH.pdf

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

.PDF | 234.5KB | AMEST_TECH.pdf
Installation-manual_amesti.pdf

iNSTALLATION MANUAL

.PDF | 313.5KB | Installation-manual_amesti.pdf

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Aug. 16, 2014 4:04 pm

contact the stove manufacturer ... they'll likely say no ... so if your house burns down at least you'll know why the insurance company will not pay

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Aug. 16, 2014 4:15 pm

As long as the grate sides are sealed to the point that all or almost all air can only enter the fire chamber from below then it will work. you also need some sort of fire pot above the grate to hold coal depth. This could be built from fire brick.

That grate provides no means to shake out the ash from burnt coal, so not recommended unless you are content to shovel out the ash and start fresh each time.

anovelli
Other Heating: Amesti Firewood Stove

Post by anovelli » Sat. Aug. 16, 2014 7:29 pm

franco b wrote:As long as the grate sides are sealed to the point that all or almost all air can only enter the fire chamber from below then it will work. you also need some sort of fire pot above the grate to hold coal depth. This could be built from fire brick.

That grate provides no means to shake out the ash from burnt coal, so not recommended unless you are content to shovel out the ash and start fresh each time.
What could happen if the grate sides can not be sealed ?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Aug. 16, 2014 7:58 pm

It looks like you can shake somewhat by going from wood to coal position repeatedly. That said, it would be a disaster in short order due to the cross thatch grates. I don't think they would be to happy with a clinker. I vote don't even try it.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Aug. 16, 2014 10:21 pm

anovelli wrote:
franco b wrote:As long as the grate sides are sealed to the point that all or almost all air can only enter the fire chamber from below then it will work. you also need some sort of fire pot above the grate to hold coal depth. This could be built from fire brick.

What could happen if the grate sides can not be sealed ?
If air can go around the grate instead of up through it the coal will have a hard time burning. The air will bypass the coal.

Concerning riddling the fire, if you provide slots in the front of the stove just above the grate, you can then use a flat 1/8 thick by 3/4 wide poker to slide across the grate to crush and let ash fall. the slots have to be provided with a cover to prevent air from infiltrating.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”