Puff Back With Wood Stove?

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 9:10 am

Have you tried burning coal? If not, why not? I used to have a 983. It heated a 3000 square foot house for about $1500 burning anthracite. It was so easy to use, I stayed in the one match club my first season burning coal. I tended it twice a day. No fuss no muss.

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 9:20 am

The 983 was in a previous home and I didn't take it. (Stupid). I loved it so much, I'm thinking of getting one to put in my current fireplace for ambiance and power outage heat. Would burn some wood for ambiance and coal for heat.

badlegdave
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Baseburners & Antiques: Union Stove Works - Invader 2 Parlour Stove
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric baseboard

Post by badlegdave » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 10:42 am

[Contact Dean Lehman at [email protected] in regard to the best method to make up that connection to the stove.
He is a super guy and will take the time to make sure you are safe. Describe your problem to him as well. Maybe you have an internal damper or something messed up.

soultinter

Post by soultinter » Tue. Feb. 04, 2014 7:22 pm

I have not tried coal yet b cus I fill my dumptruck bed ( 6x10) w 3or 4 ft rails, with oak cut offs for 40 a load. Significantly cheaper than coal.
I thought about calling hitzer but I don't really think it's the stove, I think it's the house/ chimney. I left a small crack in the window close to the stove for some nice cool combustion air, didn't really want to cause a leak but I think I need it unfortunately.

Go2Zero
Other Heating: conventional log wood

Post by Go2Zero » Wed. Feb. 05, 2014 4:39 pm

When chimneys are getting a constant cooling from above, the gases meant to be leaving it don't so well. It's often obvious on a cold start, but while in operation, if the terminal isn't heated in equal or higher temperature than the gases going up it you get negative flue pressure. Down draft burners avoid the necessity of countering the problem but conventional burners can burn cleanly and consistently with the right flue terminal ventilation, especially designed to deflect the condition. Most cowls obsess themselves on deflecting wind but more unknown and most common, the issue is a cooling chimney. Some say burn a bright hot fire to avoid the issue, but no one wants to waste their fuel and their heat by doing so. Protect the terminal effectively with applied pressure differential, and terminal heating, and puff back symptoms will significantly decrease.

badlegdave
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Baseburners & Antiques: Union Stove Works - Invader 2 Parlour Stove
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Chestnut
Other Heating: Electric baseboard

Post by badlegdave » Wed. Feb. 05, 2014 5:02 pm

applied pressure differential

Do you mean a draft inducer?

or would fumed silica and aluminatrihydrate filled methelmethacrylat monomer be more in order?

:lol:

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Feb. 05, 2014 5:06 pm

badlegdave wrote:or would fumed silica and aluminatrihydrate filled methelmethacrylat monomer be more in order
That's what I always do.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Feb. 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Um yeah, hello..... who doesn't know that? :lol:

Bobbi
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 983 insert
Coal Size/Type: blashak nut

Post by Bobbi » Thu. Feb. 06, 2014 1:24 am

I think you should of left the grates in. I never had a prob when I burned wood. kept the slider closed , air flow on top open, and damper slightly open. but I have an insert - no pipe. I burn coal in the cold months... hate wood -too much work/ tending. I LOVE coal. SO easy. My 983 burns both well.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”