Propane Ripoff

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 2:37 pm

We use propane for the cooktop, dryer, hot water and we have a propane furnace that is a backup to the harmon. We bought our 1000 gallon tank when we did our addition to the house and are able to shop around for prices since we own the tank. When you lease their tank they really stick you on the price since nobody else will come fill it. The tank cost us about $1200 and since we buried it when we were having the basement dug out that only cost us $200. We fill in the off peak summer months and by calling around, paid about $1.50 / gal less that Sub Prop & Amerigas were charging. Buying that tank paid for itself by the time we filled up the second time.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 4:14 pm

Last time they came to deliver propane I was still at 70%, I told the lady at the office I can't afford to be warm so we use blankets :D The driver is cool I just call him when I need gas. Lock in was $1.79 and I thought it was too much so I switched to coal.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 4:38 pm

The tank's still here. No idea when it's being picked up. :x

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 5:04 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:The tank's still here. No idea when it's being picked up. :x
If they don't pick it up soon, it might turn into a coal stove. :lol:

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 5:46 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
If they don't pick it up soon, it might turn into a coal stove. :lol:
Wouldn't be hard to do!

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Tue. Jan. 22, 2008 6:23 pm

when I moved in there was a tank here, I called and called and they didn't take it. Finally I sent a certified letter that the tank was blocking my driveway and it was going to be disposed of in 30 days and they would receive the bill for all costs involved. They came and got it on the 29th day. I actually had someone lined up to buy it, I wish they didn't take it. They probably would have kept charging the last guy that leased it if I didn't say anything.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Jan. 26, 2008 3:13 pm

titleist1 wrote:We use propane for the cooktop, dryer, hot water and we have a propane furnace that is a backup to the harmon. We bought our 1000 gallon tank when we did our addition to the house and are able to shop around for prices since we own the tank. When you lease their tank they really stick you on the price since nobody else will come fill it. The tank cost us about $1200 and since we buried it when we were having the basement dug out that only cost us $200. We fill in the off peak summer months and by calling around, paid about $1.50 / gal less that Sub Prop & Amerigas were charging. Buying that tank paid for itself by the time we filled up the second time.
Buy your tank and regulators is the best way to go. I use propane for cooking and a dryer. I use so little that for the first year or two I would get bills with ridiculous gas rates and rental charges and the like. I don't know if they were getting complaints or what but I received a letter, shortly after getting socked with all their nonsense charges for not using enough propane, suggesting I buy my own tank and regulators and just go on a will call delivery. Of course they would be glad to sell and install my tank for me. I did and was surprised at how much cheaper the price per gallon was when they put it in my tank versus their own. I think I have the 100 gallon tank, the fat upright one that is quite popular, and it takes about 14 months to get down to 30%. I think the cost of the tank back then was $125 or $150, somewhere around there.

smith10210

Post by smith10210 » Sat. Jan. 26, 2008 10:05 pm

Most of the companies in my area are a pain to deal with and are very unprofessional. I'm supposed to be on a schedule delivery but they never show up I have to keep an eye on my tanks myself because the gauges they supply are worthless and I don't want to run out because I still need it for heating water and drying clothes.I might have to look into buying my own tanks this summer. I should feel lucky I got locked in at $1.79 a gallon. The going rate is $2.44 a gallon in my area. .I don't use my furnace any more since Ive bought my stoker :D I usually did when I was burning pellets and wood :sick: ..

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Jan. 26, 2008 10:55 pm

When I had an underground tank installed a couple years ago, I bought the tank and shopped the propane. It was a full $1.00 cheaper per gallon for the propane. No question its worth it to buy your tank.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Sun. Jan. 27, 2008 6:00 pm

The lp companies are all scammers if you ask me. Ask 10 people on the same street with the same usage and same company and I bet they pay 10 different prices. It all comes from the same truck. As far as not getting a delivery, I would call when the tank is at 20% and say that you are almost out. The deliveries are based on degree days which aren't exact

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Jan. 27, 2008 7:11 pm

Great idea about buying your own tank. I am going to look into it. I'm under the impression that dealers around here will not deliver to a customer-owned tank.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Jan. 28, 2008 2:33 pm

rberq wrote:Great idea about buying your own tank. I am going to look into it. I'm under the impression that dealers around here will not deliver to a customer-owned tank.
Some dealers may not, others will be glad to, you will be able to tell by the price! If you buy your tank, save your receipt, one company that we sometimes use always wants to see the receipt proving we own our tank prior to filling!

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Jan. 28, 2008 6:26 pm

Good advice about keeping the receipt. Thanks, I never would have thought of that.

As to the mercaptan smell -- propane tech told me that the chemical is absorbed into the metal of the tank due to high pressure when the tank is filled. As the tank nears empty, pressure goes down and mercaptan migrates out of the metal and back into the gas, and that's why the smell becomes pronounced when it's time to refill.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Jan. 28, 2008 6:46 pm

The tank is still here.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Jan. 29, 2008 10:54 am

Wood'nCoal wrote:The tank is still here.
They just don't want to cut you a check for the unused propane!!!

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”