Riello Burner - Hydraulic Jack Leaking Oil

SarahWW

Post by SarahWW » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 3:18 pm

My Riello Mectron 5M oil burner developed a leak in the hydraulic jack (after 20+years). I have a replacement part - a new jack of the long type, #3006499. This part opens a shutter on the blower during operation.

DIfficulty - I have no idea what I'm doing, though I have read this oil jack is a simple part to swap out. I must detach it from the housing, which is easy enough, but removing and replacing the capillary tube that brings oil from the pump has me worried.

Does anyone have experience replacing a riello hydraulic jack? Facing the device head on, the order of parts is jack, then a screw/nut that attaches the capillary tube to the jack, and then the capillary tube, which carries oil into the jack from the pump.

As I face the burner, WHich way should I turn the hex (clockwise or counter clockwise?) THe hex nut is is very, very tight. I presume I must reuse the hex and the screw it turns on, which attaches the capillary that feeds the jack, as there is only an empty threaded place on the replacement part.

Should I remove the jack from the housing before attempting to detach it from the capillary?

Any help at all would be very welcome.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 4:47 pm

welcome sara,it's sunday afternoon and everyones either getting thier grubb on or watching their favorite team get beaten up. There are many here that can and will help you out,and good luck

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 7:43 pm

I went through this 5-6 years ago, I don't remember anything being reverse thread. Righty tighty, lefty-loosey.

SarahWW

Post by SarahWW » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 8:55 pm

My confusion unfortunately extends to R-tight L-Loose, because I'm not sure whether that applies from the back or front in this case. Here's a picture of the leaky hydraullic ram, with the capillary tube coming off the back of it:

http://i.imgur.com/Ww7XnV2.jpg

If I were to approach from the front , like so http://i.imgur.com/BBC0M9y.jpg (with the nut in back of the jack), would that be counter clockwise or clockwise?

SarahWW

Post by SarahWW » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 9:05 pm

You have done this sort of repair? I have another question about parts related to the attachment of the capillary tube. The new part (of course) has a corresponding place for the capillary tube to enter. It is a female threaded connection.

There is a male threaded connector in the existing (female) jack connection, and I'm not sure how easy it will be to get this male threaded bit out.

I thought I would have all the necessary parts to swap, but will this connector be easy to get out and reuse?

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Oct. 13, 2013 11:24 pm

I just saw this post .....and have an old mectron in the shop. I'll check it in the AM and reply here on the forum. It is easier than you think. Reillo is one heck of a burner......30 years and still efficient, .......with parts availability. The last one I changed.......many years ago. :idea: :)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Oct. 14, 2013 5:46 am

Unscrew the male fitting while the jack is still screwed on the blower frame, counter clockwise as viewed from the tube side. Remove the phillips head screw by turning it counter clockwise, as you are looking at the screw head.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”