Inexpensive/Temporary Chimney?

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 8:23 am

I was wondering if anyone might have an idea for a inexpensive & temporary chimney. I would like to put one in my shop using an existing window.
The reason for temporary is I would remove or store the stove in the warm weather months so as to not use up the floor space. Winter is a time of less use so the space is available.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 8:28 am

For wood? Just use some stove pipe. I had a barrel stove in my garage for years with a stove pipe chimney... Of course it wasn't legal hahah.. But, I'm an outlaw so I don't care :lol:

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 8:34 am

Good morning Kungu, can you remove the top sash and cover with a piece of metal sturdy enough to hold a wall thimble? You could make a thimble as well by using a piece of 8" pipe with 5 or 6 1" self tappers evenly spaced around the circumference of the pipe and slide the 6" pipe giving you a 1" air space between the pipes and fill the space with a fire rated insulation!...just my 2 cents.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 8:40 am

michaelanthony wrote:Good morning Kungu, can you remove the top sash and cover with a piece of metal sturdy enough to hold a wall thimble? You could make a thimble as well by using a piece of 8" pipe with 5 or 6 1" self tappers evenly spaced around the circumference of the pipe and slide the 6" pipe giving you a 1" air space between the pipes and fill the space with a fire rated insulation!...just my 2 cents.
Yes exactly, just use yer head and keep the pipe away from anything that shouldn't get hot. I used two shelf brackets and coat hanger wire at the roof to stabilize the pipe :) Looked awesome :lol: but was on the backside so no one ever saw it...

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 8:40 am

Yep--what ma said :)

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 9:54 am

Sorry but that would be a foolish thing to do. Put up a real chimney and just remove your stove in summer if floor space is a problem. Better than burning the place down. Single wall smoke pipe will breakdown quickly outside.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 10:09 am

yes, what CK said...
if you used the black flue pipe you'd be replacing it every year like somebody on here found out...can't remember who but they posted pics after one season - it was pretty much disintegrated as I recall.

I understand the floor space issue, but if you know that is where the stove is going each year I'd put in a block chimney and replace the window glass pane with cement board and a thimble.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 10:45 am

titleist1 wrote:yes, what CK said...
if you used the black flue pipe you'd be replacing it every year like somebody on here found out...can't remember who but they posted pics after one season - it was pretty much disintegrated as I recall.

I understand the floor space issue, but if you know that is where the stove is going each year I'd put in a block chimney and replace the window glass pane with cement board and a thimble.
Yeah that was me, with the coal furnace hahaha.... My barrel wood stove - stove pipe chimney lasted 10 years.. Made a fine temp/cheap chimney, but yeah, illegal, irresponsible :oops: - could be unsafe. Use yer head :idea:

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 11:12 am

The cheapest easiest and best drafting is straight up through the roof depending on the building using stainless. The insulated stainless only has to go from the attic space up and through the roof.

If you prefer to go through the side wall I have the wall support plus insulated tee plus short length to enter shop. Selkirk used for wood in good shape, Additional parts readily available and will sell cheap.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Real nice offer franco :) --money appears to not be a problem in Md. I know, I know--cost a lot more if ya burnt the place down--BS--of course if a person doesn't have enough common sense to install a Rube Goldberg system-- SAFELY--by all means get as grandiose as you can. I seriously doubt that is the situation with Kungur. I've had a black pipe out my maintenance shed that lasted for the 5 yrs I had it installed--I made a pipe cap that resembled a sombrero and protected it from the elements. Wish I could find some pix of the set up--but remembered that back then, I had no computer & had no idea what a digital camera was-- Just sayin

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 12:39 pm

good point FF about the $$ cost of the block chimney.

if I didn't want to spend the money / effort on the block I'd probably do the same with the cement board through the window pane and black pipe outside.

then I would do it again the second year and again the third year and about the 4th year i'd be saying to myself 'what am I doing here again....i wish I'd have spent the money up front' . :doh:

but of course by then I wouldn't want to admit defeat and would just call it exercise and yearly maintenance cost. :) I burned wood for a lot of years so I know I have done similar stuff in the past!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 1:44 pm

And, I would respond with---did you try that sombrero style chimney cap--as stated before, my black pipe going out a window pane lasted a good 5 yrs with no deterioration ;) PS--I was 18" out from the wall & only had to go about 2' above the facia for a good draft--I have a feeling you did a 15' or so stack?????--then YES, your black pipe would probably be trashed

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Fred, money is a problem everywhere but I just don't like to take short cuts with safety. Happy to hear your smoke pipe "rig" lasted 5 years with the sombrero but I call that African engineering. :lol: A job worth doing is worth doing right and all. My father drilled that into my head I guess. I've seen the consequences too many times of such short cuts.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 3:52 pm

How about a propane heater or a kerosene salamander heater that way you don't need a chimney.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Oct. 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Soooo, we can agree to disagree? Safety is always paramount in anything & I've learned over the years that if someone has a different, as safety conscious a solution, why would I try to belittle that. And YES ch, there is quite an assortment of those type heaters that are way far advanced safety wise then the ones I'm accustomed to in earlier designs--the early salamanders would just about gag a cow LOL
coalkirk wrote:Fred, money is a problem everywhere but I just don't like to take short cuts with safety. Happy to hear your smoke pipe "rig" lasted 5 years with the sombrero but I call that African engineering. :lol: A job worth doing is worth doing right and all. My father drilled that into my head I guess. I've seen the consequences too many times of such short cuts.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”