Pellet Stove Thermister or ESP

pelletzzz

Post by pelletzzz » Tue. Apr. 23, 2013 8:24 pm

SO my pellet stove is acting up...
I had replaced my old esp probe with a new one and that seemed to help the problem although not 100%
Right now it randomly shuts off the feed rate is not adjustable and the blower fan comes on randomly not when the stove is hot.
I have found that moving around the probe activates the stove.
More specifically when the probe touches a piece of metal on the stove it starts feeding pellets.
I confirmed this but removing it and touching grd in a receptacle.
The question is can this be the probe failing where its internal insulation broke down so that its touching the probe casing itself thus causing malfunctions to the stove.
Whenever I tighten the probe all the way in its respectful location the stove shuts off completely.

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Tue. Apr. 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Normally probe just needs to be clean using windexs glass cleaner. Have you clean exhaust pipe behind the ash pan. How old is probe? Check probe wires for possible damage. Is red default status light blinking?

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Apr. 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Ah the P38 my nemesis - a total POS but you can make it function. I know I have one (P38+). Firstly, are the leads to the new ESP red or black and are they the same color as the one you replaced? Two different thermocouples and no I have never cleaned the thermocouple with glass cleaner - ever - I really can't follow that one - but the exhaust channel needs to be clean obviously. I can give you chapter and verse on this stove series but let's keep it simple and that way my ulcer medication won't have to be renewed. From your response I can estimate if you blew the main board which I don't think you did. Anyway welcome to our little board and we will try to help you. The circuitry is similar to the DVC which is a coal stove but I think I have mine tamed after 5 faultless years, now even as I uninstall it for other reasons. I have been infected with the base burner virus which you don't have to know or care about but is the only reason I switched stoves (it's a silly coal board thing). When that little stove of yours is crankin' with good pellets (and that is really the trick) it can really spew out some heat. So let's get this resolved for you. LOL.
Last edited by coalnewbie on Tue. Apr. 23, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Wed. Apr. 24, 2013 6:17 am

I've got a pc45 and service manual states to remove probe from exhaust and wipe it off with glass cleaner. Been doing it for 7 years with no issue and still the orginal probe.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Apr. 24, 2013 7:02 am

Fine, then wipe the probe with glass cleaner and after that does nothing let's resume this thread.

Wiz

Post by Wiz » Wed. Apr. 24, 2013 7:14 am

coalnewbie wrote:Fine, then wipe the probe with glass cleaner and after that does nothing let's resume this thread.
Fine :drunk:

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”