EPA and OWB

PAbigbear

Post by PAbigbear » Tue. Feb. 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Does anyone know if the EPA is actually enforcing the new regulations on OWB that says they must be Phase 2 compliant? Or is it up to the local municipality/township to enforce? I found a smoking deal on a new, never fired, central boiler and want to buy, but don't want the reprecussions of installing it then getting fined or worse.

Thanks!!

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Feb. 05, 2013 9:22 pm

The hell with the EPA. I highly doubt that bloated bureaucracy is going to waste time busting homeowners - at least not yet .....

Your main concern is those around you. If you live in an area full of whiners, then your going to have a problem. Check with the town just to make sure your not going to get harassed. If your away from the "main road", I'd just buy it & hide it as best as possible. Burning green wood will bring out the whiners if they're close to you. All depends on which way the wind blows that day ....

EDITED for spelling/grammar
Last edited by SMITTY on Tue. Feb. 05, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Tue. Feb. 05, 2013 9:28 pm

What part of the state are you from? I would imagine if you are in one of the more rural counties, you will probably be OK.

PAbigbear

Post by PAbigbear » Tue. Feb. 05, 2013 9:44 pm

I live in Potter County, so its about a rural and desolate as you can get. I only have 1 close neighbor, about 100 yards away. I was thinking of just building a little shed around it, if I do get it. Out of sight, out of mind...

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Feb. 05, 2013 9:54 pm

That's the route I would take. ;)

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Tue. Feb. 05, 2013 9:57 pm

I think you'll probably be just fine. That's some beautiful country up your way!

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Feb. 05, 2013 10:38 pm

I agree with the above posts, but I would hesitate to do all the work of installing something that burns so dirty and inefficiently. Knowing you are wasting half the wood you are putting into it has got to count for something.

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Tue. Feb. 05, 2013 10:53 pm

franco b wrote:I agree with the above posts, but I would hesitate to do all the work of installing something that burns so dirty and inefficiently. Knowing you are wasting half the wood you are putting into it has got to count for something.
If the OWB is sized so that it will be idling alot, I would agree with this, too. Potter Co isn't terribly far from either the Anthracite or Bituminous coal fields. Coal fired appliances idle like a dream, especially compared to wood. If the OWB has a shaker grate and underfire air, you might consider trying coal in it.

PAbigbear

Post by PAbigbear » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 7:09 am

Only 1 problem with coal, I have to buy it. I can get all the wood I heat with for free. The stove is a central boiler 5036 with the dual fuel option, for $4500. Never fired. I have a 1150 sq. ft. ranch house with full basement that would be kept warm enough to keep the chill off. I already have NG hwbb so it would tie in easily.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 8:28 am

PA bear

Please don't buy that thing. Read the posts about owb's on here. I don't care if your wood is free . You still have to cut and stack, stack and cut and then cut and stack some more and you'll have to do two or three times as much with one of those pigs . Next youll have to deal with water chemistry and pissed off neighbors. There are plenty of wood hand fired boilers out there used and new for less money if your in love with wood. I used to burn a wood coal unit and loved it , free wood ect.... Then I started to realize how much time it actually took,OMG. I used seven full cord last year and it wasnt even cold. Ibought a used EFM ($4000) 1k for a chimney and misc. stuff . So far this year ive used almost two ton at $200 per. Im not trying to sell you anything but I think your options are as follows:

1) OWB ----> Bad option (read endless posts here)

2) Hand fired wood or wood coal-----> Good option

3) Stoker boiler-----> Great option and youll never regret it. Cut your wood and sell it to buy coal, youll make money! ;)

Waldo

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Feb. 06, 2013 8:35 am

The town of Chester NY has banned OWB outright. Some protesters complained about govt restrictions on home heating at a time of high heating costs but as the town supervisor pointed out, nobody had even applied to install one so what was the problem. Tough to argue.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”