High Velocity Air What to Do

Frytown
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130 to FHA
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by Frytown » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 7:22 pm

I am sure this has been brought up here in the past. If any one knows of any past threads please point me in that direction. My brother lives in town. the home he lives in has a high velocity heat pump which is about 8 years old. He wants to replace it with a Nat gas forced air unit. The unit is in the attic and has a damper that also controls air tothe basement. Well this month he had a $530 electric bill. He is not pleased. 3 bedroom 2 bath and three large rooms for dining family and Living Basement is a big bar and billiard play area and a bedroom 2100 sqft above grade 1400 below grade ranch home all roofs are hipped no gable ends. Home has adequate space for standard ductwork but will be just a little tight in some areas. This is the first time I've seen one of these units but it worked fine in the summer when he bought the house. The question is what should we replace this furnace with. Some options are available
High velocity systems have small 2" round tubes for each duct. The main is about 8" inches square.

1. Conventional 90+ Natural gas furnace with all new large ductwork and heat pump.
2. A high velocity furnace with hydronic heat exchanger with an instant natural gas hot water heater.
3. Keep the things the way they are. We are open to suggestions
4. Install mini split systems. He doesn't like the heads on the wall but thinks the cassets in the ceilings might be a viable option. And we know they are efficient. I've installed them in about 70 different apartments and homes. I have not done the cassets though. So that will be new.

5. Ok we might be able to place the furnace in the basement after all. Brother is willing to give up some headroom along a main beam. The basement already has low ceilings about 7' but one of the beams has a long wall so it won't be too obtrusive. We're going investigate more tomorrow. Of that's the case then it will be simple forced air system and standard duct work.

Tried to talk him into doing an Axeman but he doesnt want to deal with ash and his basement is completely finished no room for one

Status of my Axeman. Purchased a new lift and the domestic seal leaked in the summer when the unit was off. Had to buy new motor last week. But still love this boiler!

Justin

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 10:00 pm

Frytown wrote:Status of my Axeman. Purchased a new lift and the domestic seal leaked in the summer when the unit was off.
Hot water coil gasket? When you replace that gasket, you'll want to go back and re snug it every few days maybe 5-6 times. Boilers breathe and a new gasket will compress over time which leads you to the next leak.

Frytown

Post by Frytown » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks for the advise! I planned on going back in once. Now I know. Im never in the boiler building in the summer. And really only in there in the winter for 2 seconds to take ash out every couple days. This boiler is so effort less and smooth operating it isn't funny. Is there any better more efficient boilers out there than AA's, I know a lot of folks on here have to deal with bit, I'm dealing with Anthracite.

Frytown

Post by Frytown » Wed. Jan. 23, 2013 10:59 am

Brother is going with basement system nat gas.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”