Owb Vs Indoor Wood/Coal Boiler

Phil May
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 700
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Liesure Line
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Phil May » Fri. Jan. 04, 2013 11:01 am

Check out the classifieds I will put you on my c70 right$. It burns soft coal and hard coal and wood. I went to a 700 new years eve and love it so far. The c70 was just not enough for my heat load. I have had OWB and would never ever recomend them. I even built 3 of them and got rid of them all. The 3rd had every option you could imagine to be effiecent and still sucked wood like a vacume cleaner. The c70 was brand new august 2005 and ran year around until new years eve 2012. It is in good condition just needs The taper bricks in fire box. They break when you throw big wood in.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Fri. Jan. 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Phil May wrote:The c70 was brand new august 2005 and ran year around until new years eve 2012. It is in good condition just needs The taper bricks in fire box. They break when you throw big wood in.
The tapered firebrick can be purchased at AHS

oilman

Post by oilman » Mon. Jan. 14, 2013 1:43 pm

All of us up here in New York where there is a large number of OWB units can tell you it's not a good idea. Like Rob said, gassification is a must, not really proven in oudoor units yet and you can easily burn up the better part of $20,000 on a professionally installed indoor gassifier unit.
For that money you could install a nice EPA woodstove in the living space for recreation or for when the power goes out, etc. and have a stoker boiler in the basement for serious everyday heating.

On a side note, I'm in the heating business and had a long time customer who purchased an OWB this summer without even asking me for an opinion.(I guess he feels he knows more than a 30 year heating guy) when I found out, I told him to take it back and get a coal stoker. (that wasn't a pleasant conversation) . I ended up doing all the piping, etc. for it. Anyway, I was there the other day on another matter, this thing is just belching smoke, liquid creosote running all over, I just don't understand people. We'll see how long before it springs a leak or the doorframe falls off or whatever common failure these things have.

wawrd1
Other Heating: Natures Comfort 325G Outdoor wood/coal boiler

Post by wawrd1 » Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 2:50 pm

Well I'm an OWB owner and have not run an indoor coal heating unit. I can tell you that I feed my boiler 1 time a day and can go 36 hours if I need to. I have begun burning a wood coal mix and at times burn just coal. You are asking about an OWB on a coal forum; go here to get a better prospective.

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php

Wood = work, coal can be easer but it can also =$. I burn bit coal and pay $75 a ton. I burn blow down wood and tops left from logging from my property. My boiler + install cost about 10K and I did some of the work. I'm now heating my house for the labor to get the wood plus the cost of the coal. I produce enough wood for a year in about 10 full days cutting and have not cut a live tree in years. I have also burned one ton of coal so far and it looks like I need another. This is my 3rd year heating with this set up. I’m saving about 3k a year on my heat bill. My boiler also heats all the domestic hot water for the house. Next year is even money and the only problem I have had with the boiler is the circulating pump. Replaced for <$300. Shop and compare with facts and make the best decision based on your circumstances.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Thu. Sep. 03, 2020 10:23 pm

Dennis wrote:
Tue. Jan. 01, 2013 5:55 pm
deerslayer,your welcome to look at my boiler if your intrested,PM me for my address.My intentions were to burn "free wood",but had no seasoned wood and learned how easy it's to burn coal and will not burn wood again.With that said, is wish I bought a stoker boiler now before learning about this fourm.
I bought the boiler 12/20/10 for $6700.00,they had a end of year sale and payed with cash.All togather it was $10,000.00 for boiler,labor(nephew/plumber),piping,coal bin and first year of coal.That might sound high,but this is my third year and it's 3/4 paid for,saving 60% from fuel oil.
Nice buck,this week i'm planning on a couple doe,hopefully,"If it's brown it's down"
It gets confusing and overwhelming,but make the right choice,it's will last a lifetime and then some.
Dennis, sent you a PM regarding your boiler.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Fri. Sep. 04, 2020 4:36 pm

2013?.....I dunno

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Fri. Sep. 04, 2020 4:39 pm

Dennis logged in just last week. Good chance he'll see it.

PolarLight
Stoker Coal Boiler: JB
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane, firewood

Post by PolarLight » Sun. Sep. 13, 2020 8:03 pm

Never understand ppl who own outside boiler. You need to go out, dress in winter, just to add some wood or coal into the boiler.
Another issue, they loosing heat from chimney, smth they can use to heat up garage or basement.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Mon. Sep. 14, 2020 7:18 am

PolarLight wrote:
Sun. Sep. 13, 2020 8:03 pm
Never understand ppl who own outside boiler. You need to go out, dress in winter, just to add some wood or coal into the boiler.
Another issue, they loosing heat from chimney, smth they can use to heat up garage or basement.
I sure don't miss it! I thought I would be smart and positioned the boiler with the door facing East so the boiler would "block" the wind while I loaded it.......all it would do is swirl the smoke around my face! Boiler in the basement is the best thing I have ever done next to getting rid of my OWB and switching to coal!

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”