Use Existing Forced Air Furnace to Move Coal Stove Heat?

littlefish
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil/baseboard

Post by littlefish » Sun. Dec. 23, 2012 2:49 pm

oil furnaces sometimes lack the 24v control to turn on the blower unless a/c is part of the system - then you have a transformer on the oil primary and a g terminal. look for the fan limit control - may have a white button to turn the fan on manually. be aware of your increased electric usage and change filters more often. on an older willamson, you have a belt-drive blower, so check the belt, don't over-tighten. running an old belt-drive unit continuously will result in bearing problems, noise, motor failure unless you have a really good service guy who has pulled the blower and addressed these items. remember that trying to use the g lead from the thermostat requires a 24vac source and a relay at the furnace - don't run line power to the stat! :D

DosDemiGod
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000

Post by DosDemiGod » Fri. Sep. 27, 2013 4:56 pm

littlefish wrote:oil furnaces sometimes lack the 24v control to turn on the blower unless a/c is part of the system - then you have a transformer on the oil primary and a g terminal. look for the fan limit control - may have a white button to turn the fan on manually. be aware of your increased electric usage and change filters more often. on an older willamson, you have a belt-drive blower, so check the belt, don't over-tighten. running an old belt-drive unit continuously will result in bearing problems, noise, motor failure unless you have a really good service guy who has pulled the blower and addressed these items. remember that trying to use the g lead from the thermostat requires a 24vac source and a relay at the furnace - don't run line power to the stat! :D
Thanks for your reply...sorry for the very late response but it is that time of year again. The plan is not to have the fan run any more than it would have if the furnace was in operation. Ideally it would only come on when the thermostat calls for it. I still don't know how to achieve this. A neighbor of mine has done it but his father in law set it up for him. I am hoping to get him to do the same for me.

DosDemiGod
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000

Post by DosDemiGod » Wed. Nov. 27, 2013 11:57 am

Bump...still looking for an option to move more heat down stairs to the split level. As stated above (last year) I would ideally like to use the existing duct work and fan built into the oil fired forced air unit but all ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”