How Much OIL Have Your Non-Coal/Wood Stove Neighbors Burned

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 7:25 am

For the season? I used 4 tons of coal this yr .. about 1 ton/mo. 2400sq ft 2 story. Performed well this year .. warm ... running outta coal this week

And have some maintenance to do after this season is over...

Just wanted to learn what the oil burners were burning this season .. a rather warm winter. The $$/gal for oil has been high this season avg. ~3.5-3.75/gal

claridon coal burner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: oil

Post by claridon coal burner » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 12:55 pm

I'm not sure what my neighbors have been burning as far as oil. This is my first year on coal and even though it's been a mild winter I'm glad I made the switch. Fuel oil is going for $3.79/gal here and so far I've used about 4 tons of coal at a cost of ~$1200 (delivered). According to my calcs that would have cost me ~$2800. in oil. I use fuel oil for hot water (and have a coil in my furnace) the oil man was here a couple of weeks ago and couldn't figure out why I only used 34 gallons in 2 months. BTW I used to keep my thermostat at 62 and burned 3 cords of wood a year. This year thermostat at 68 and no dragging all that wood in the house.
I LOVE IT.

Charlie

saragnac

Post by saragnac » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 12:59 pm

I burned 1,300 gallons of fuel oil last year. I burned 6,500 lbs of coal and maybe 30 gallons of fuel oil....and kept my house a lot warmer. My neighbor is on a $500/month budget and keeps their house a lot colder.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Well ... when I go searching for the answer to this question, I'm reminded how drafty & EXPENSIVE my house is to live in. My neighbor has a bigger house, yet he only burned 2 tanks of oil ..... and they keep the place at 75° all winter! I haven't counted all my bag corners yet ... but I can tell you that what I've burned in coal equals much more than 2 tanks of oil.

The first winter we were here we burned 4 tanks & froze our asses off. :|

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Mar. 19, 2012 4:14 pm

SMITTY wrote:Well ... when I go searching for the answer to this question, I'm reminded how drafty & EXPENSIVE my house is to live in. My neighbor has a bigger house, yet he only burned 2 tanks of oil ..... and they keep the place at 75° all winter! I haven't counted all my bag corners yet ... but I can tell you that what I've burned in coal equals much more than 2 tanks of oil.

The first winter we were here we burned 4 tanks & froze our asses off. :|
Its the misses fault ! lol

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Mar. 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Good call! toothy

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”