Crack in Our Fireplace

Joeski

Post by Joeski » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Hello NEPA,

Can I put High temperature cement in here, or a fireback, or both? Or should the I just wait and get it fixed once warm weather cones around. Is this a DIY job for a semi handy guy? Thank you.

**Broken Image Link(s) Removed**

crazy4coal

Post by crazy4coal » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 4:23 pm

If that is a steel firebox with a fire brick lining you'll be fine. Just keep an eye on it. Watch and see if it get bigger, if it does get bigger it could be signs that you have some settleing of the house or chimmey. What are you doing useing the fireplace? Your suppose to be burning coal!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 22, 2012 4:40 pm

I'd put some high temp silicone to it until spring time & then do whatever I needed to--looks like some real soupy grout mix would be fine. Using grout mix, you can get pretty close to the color that's there.

Joeski

Post by Joeski » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 2:29 pm

crazy4coal wrote:If that is a steel firebox with a fire brick lining you'll be fine. Just keep an eye on it. Watch and see if it get bigger, if it does get bigger it could be signs that you have some settleing of the house or chimmey. What are you doing useing the fireplace? Your suppose to be burning coal!
Thank You crazy4coal :!: I know I'm supposed to be burning coal :D , I want to and stop the mess of wood and the over priced oil. I am doing that overanalysis leads to paralysis thing here. I was all ready to put in a coal burning insert in this fireplaces chimney then I learned about the Koker. Then I learned about those Amish made stoves and boilers. Then I learned about the Hyfire 2 dual burning stoker. The place I was going to install do not put it into the existing ductwork which has more delays added on to me. Then I learned about EFM. Then there are some many good looking setup on here that I still don't know what to do. :oops:

Joeski

Post by Joeski » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 2:32 pm

freetown fred wrote:I'd put some high temp silicone to it until spring time & then do whatever I needed to--looks like some real soupy grout mix would be fine. Using grout mix, you can get pretty close to the color that's there.
With the high temp silicone I should be able to have a nice little fire going the rest of the winter, right? So do you think I should put the high temp silicone in there then the real soupy grout mix on top of that? And Thank You :!:

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 2:46 pm

What to do,what to do, is the question.
There are many options out there.
whole house heater in basement
fire place insert
boiler or furnace
DHW
stoker or hopper
Read and learn and ask questions.

The high temp silicone might work,the flame might burn off the silicone it's heat proof not fireproof
the grout might work better,but if the firebrick cracked and moved you may need to fix every year. Like FF said mix soupy then let set and spounge excess off like tile grouting.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 4:52 pm

That crack is a not an issue.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Probably not an issue, but, like leaks, they tend to do nothing but get bigger. ;)

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”