Harman PB105 Pellet Bioler

For topics about heating with other types of fuel such as wood burners, gas furnaces, oil burners and geothermal heat pumps.
User avatar
derubis
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun. Mar. 20, 2011 1:01 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman PB105 Boiler
Location: Laurel Highlands, Pa.

Post Sun. Dec. 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Got a new Harman PB105 pellet Boiler. What a Boiler. Everything work like a fine clock. I got it tied into my OIl Boiler so I could use both. The Harman work so great I
wish I just took out the Oil boiler.Can't wait for it to get to ZERO.
Attachments
100_0254.jpg


User avatar
tsb
Member
Posts: 1798
Joined: Wed. Jul. 30, 2008 8:38 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them
Location: Douglassville, Pa

Post Sun. Dec. 04, 2011 7:32 pm

Even though this is a coal forum, keep us informed on the
performance of this unit. It might be a good spring and fall unit.
More pictures and any installation problems would be enjoyed.
Coal -- It's not a hobby, It's an addiction.

User avatar
WNY
Member
Posts: 5849
Joined: Mon. Nov. 14, 2005 8:40 am
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon
Location: Cuba, NY
Contact:

Post Sun. Dec. 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Looks almost exactly like the VF3000 Coal Boiler. Good luck with it.
- Dave
Hyfire I & Keystoker 90K heating an 1890 Victorian
- Amsoil Authorized T1 Certified Dealer

User avatar
Rob R.
Site Moderator
Posts: 11348
Joined: Fri. Dec. 28, 2007 4:26 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy
Location: Chazy, NY

Post Sun. Dec. 04, 2011 8:06 pm

The early models had a big problem with cracked grates and failed igniters...hopefully they got it straightened out.

User avatar
derubis
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun. Mar. 20, 2011 1:01 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman PB105 Boiler
Location: Laurel Highlands, Pa.

Post Mon. Dec. 05, 2011 5:58 am

Installation was simple Bring it in to the basement as one unit plum and wire and go.
tsb wrote:Even though this is a coal forum, keep us informed on the
performance of this unit. It might be a good spring and fall unit.
More pictures and any installation problems would be enjoyed.

User avatar
coalkirk
Member
Posts: 4679
Joined: Wed. May. 17, 2006 8:12 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal
Location: Forest Hill MD

Post Mon. Dec. 05, 2011 7:14 am

How many sq. ft. are you heating with this unit? Curious why you chose a pellet boiler instead of a coal boiler given the BTU content per dollar?
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.

User avatar
derubis
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun. Mar. 20, 2011 1:01 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman PB105 Boiler
Location: Laurel Highlands, Pa.

Post Mon. Dec. 05, 2011 12:48 pm

Because of the work and Dirt . I was raised with a Home fired by a AA120 There is a lot of work involved. Not much involved with the Pellets I have to change the ash tub
once every ton of pellets. Biggest job is getting 8 ton of pellets into my basement. 1800 sq.ft. I used oil before (1,000 gal)
coalkirk wrote:How many sq. ft. are you heating with this unit? Curious why you chose a pellet boiler instead of a coal boiler given the BTU content per dollar?

User avatar
coalkirk
Member
Posts: 4679
Joined: Wed. May. 17, 2006 8:12 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal
Location: Forest Hill MD

Post Mon. Dec. 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Eight tons!? wow. Pellets here are $239.00 per ton. That is $1,912.00 for the 8 tons to heat 1,800 sq. ft. for the year. I'm burning 6 tons of coal at $165.00 per ton ($990.00) to heat 4,000 sq. ft. and it also heats my domestic hot water. You are spending twice as much to heat half the space. Yes it's a little bit of work but not that much. And as for the dirt, I have my routine down and have very little dirt to deal with.

You did cut your oil bill almost in half.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.


CapeCoaler
Member
Posts: 4428
Joined: Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 3:48 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove
Location: Cape Cod, MA

Post Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 12:39 am

And there is a loader in the picture...
I am not an engineer, train or otherwise!
I stay at a Holiday Inn at least once a year!
Most of all I do have common sense and a practical application of logic.
Oh, add humor, on the dry side, along with a wee bit 'o sarcasm.

User avatar
derubis
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun. Mar. 20, 2011 1:01 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman PB105 Boiler
Location: Laurel Highlands, Pa.

Post Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 6:26 am

My Toy
CapeCoaler wrote:And there is a loader in the picture...

User avatar
Sting
Member
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon. Feb. 25, 2008 4:24 pm
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG
Location: Lower Fox Valley = Wisconsin

Post Tue. Dec. 06, 2011 8:11 am

My testimonial to your fuel and boiler choice and the work and the dirt - isn't quite so sweet.

But - your in it now - good luck with that :cry:
When you turn your boiler on -Does it return the favor?
I have finally lost my mind. Don't bother to return it. It wasn't working properly anyway!

User avatar
derubis
New Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun. Mar. 20, 2011 1:01 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman PB105 Boiler
Location: Laurel Highlands, Pa.

Post Wed. Dec. 07, 2011 2:26 pm

$215.00 PER TON delivered .
coalkirk wrote:Eight tons!? wow. Pellets here are $239.00 per ton. That is $1,912.00 for the 8 tons to heat 1,800 sq. ft. for the year. I'm burning 6 tons of coal at $165.00 per ton ($990.00) to heat 4,000 sq. ft. and it also heats my domestic hot water. You are spending twice as much to heat half the space. Yes it's a little bit of work but not that much. And as for the dirt, I have my routine down and have very little dirt to deal with.

You did cut your oil bill almost in half.

User avatar
McGiever
Member
Posts: 5997
Joined: Sun. May. 02, 2010 11:26 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek
Location: Junction of PA-OH-WV

Post Mon. Apr. 02, 2012 12:04 am

derubis wrote:$215.00 PER TON delivered .
coalkirk wrote:Eight tons!? wow. Pellets here are $239.00 per ton. That is $1,912.00 for the 8 tons to heat 1,800 sq. ft. for the year. I'm burning 6 tons of coal at $165.00 per ton ($990.00) to heat 4,000 sq. ft. and it also heats my domestic hot water. You are spending twice as much to heat half the space. Yes it's a little bit of work but not that much. And as for the dirt, I have my routine down and have very little dirt to deal with.

You did cut your oil bill almost in half.
Same heat in a ton of Pellets @ $215.00 = Coal(40lb. Bag) $180.47 or Coal(bulk) $108.28
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

User avatar
coalkirk
Member
Posts: 4679
Joined: Wed. May. 17, 2006 8:12 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal
Location: Forest Hill MD

Post Mon. Apr. 02, 2012 7:34 am

Where are you buying coal for $108.00 a ton?
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.

User avatar
coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Posts: 9826
Joined: Fri. Oct. 27, 2006 2:05 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Location: Guilford, Connecticut

Post Mon. Apr. 02, 2012 7:27 pm

coalkirk wrote:Where are you buying coal for $108.00 a ton?
It's the same heat value in coals cost for 1 ton of pellets comparison, not a ton of coal.
Nothing is impossible for people who don't have to do it themselves.


Post Reply

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”