Fisher Wood Stoves

alabubba

Post by alabubba » Sat. Feb. 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:

Now I feel I should paint the stove and polish the nickel. :idea:
If you do this, you should be well pleased with the result. Our stove has always drawn compliments for its warmth, but now that that it has been painted and polished, I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Wow, that is beautiful" this winter. :up:

Don10345

Post by Don10345 » Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Dadrider,
I read your posting today and I might have the answer if you're still having the problem. An old chimney man told me one time that the chimney volume has to be larger than the volume of the Firebox, when building any kind of Fireplace. Having said that, it would be my suggestion that when you added a flue liner to your chimney (for safety reasons), you quite possibly made your chimney volume smaller than the volume of your fisher stove, or the person who installed the liner might have created a neck down at some stage of the chimney height. Either way you might want to consider increasing the height of your chimney. This would increase the volume of your chimney to be larger than your firebox and this would make it draft better also. If it were me, what I would do is measure the entire volume of your fisher stove... then look at a cross section of your chimney above any stove pipe and figure that volume. If the chimney volume is smaller than your firebox, just increase the height to overcome the discrepancy.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Dec. 10, 2012 8:33 pm

IMG_1047.JPG
.JPG | 152KB | IMG_1047.JPG

Fritzi

Post by Fritzi » Tue. Dec. 11, 2012 5:19 am

Ahhh.... :D

clay jackson

Post by clay jackson » Sat. Mar. 23, 2013 11:58 pm

Just to set the record straight, as I was there in the very first months of the very first Fisher wood stoves, produced out of a little shop off 42nd street in Springfield, Oregon;
THE REAL STORY.......
Jake Jackson was building an outdoor bar-b-que and within it he wanted a stove like area with a heat plate, well he found a welding shop run by Bob Fisher and his wife Carolyn, with Bob's help they fabricated a door arrangement for the project. As it happened, Jake became interested in Bob's new found enterprise and subsequently took a license to build the then patent pending Fisher stove....time went by Bob got his patent and Jake was busy fabricating and selling Fishers by the dozen out his Redmond Oregon shop. One day a fellow from down the street (Redmond) asked Jake if he would build a stove that he could also use like a fireplace, something his wife could enjoy on cold winter evenings....so Jake took the sides of the fisher and made the top wider welded two doors on it and then made a screen from Perfex with handles and...wah laa, not a first, as Franklin has been around forever, but it worked, Jake played around with the idea until he thought he had something AND THIS is were most people are not privy to... Jake brought the unit to Bob's shop and presented the idea to Bob as a new line idea, well if anyone knows Bob, he is either on it or against it without much as a spit off tobacco, he was against it! Bob didn't like it and said he wouldn't build them, so after some debate Jake started building the double door stove and christened it "Frontier"...Now of course Bob didn't like the competition and I will say this, Bob never spoke something he didn't mean,. Bob never challenged Jake over any design use as he knew Jake had first came to him and Bob had rejected it. Of course Jake and Bob dropped the license agreement after Jake fulfilled his orders. FRONTIER wood stoves was not a copy, but an evolutionary redesign. It should be known that Bob Fisher and Jake Jackson lived just a few short miles from one another and had a mutual respect and a genuine friendship that lasted until Jake Jackson's death many years later. I ran Frontier wood stoves as a manager and later as a patent licensee. For anyone out there I was very good friends with the Fisher family, also with Earl Wing who ran the Fisher production for years....sorry to pop anyone's balloon, but for all the competition, there was also community, hell, in Eugene, Oregon alone there were several of the top selling wood stoves manufactured in the US, I used to go to Fisher for a blower or some steel that was back ordered, Earth Stove people would catch a ride on one of our freights, or Schrader stove co. might show up in our office and discuss trading equipment, etc. in the years 1977-1980 a majority of the steel plate imported to the NW was moving through wood stove production,.... millions were being made, sure there were ego's and greed and distrust, a lot was at stake.....But ask Bob Fisher if Jake Jackson stole his idea? Better check the facts out, Bob gave that one away! Mind you I will always respect Bob even as he is...he was always a friend.

clay jackson

Post by clay jackson » Sat. Mar. 23, 2013 11:58 pm

Just to set the record straight, as I was there in the very first months of the very first Fisher wood stoves, produced out of a little shop off 42nd street in Springfield, Oregon;
THE REAL STORY.......
Jake Jackson was building an outdoor bar-b-que and within it he wanted a stove like area with a heat plate, well he found a welding shop run by Bob Fisher and his wife Carolyn, with Bob's help they fabricated a door arrangement for the project. As it happened, Jake became interested in Bob's new found enterprise and subsequently took a license to build the then patent pending Fisher stove....time went by Bob got his patent and Jake was busy fabricating and selling Fishers by the dozen out his Redmond Oregon shop. One day a fellow from down the street (Redmond) asked Jake if he would build a stove that he could also use like a fireplace, something his wife could enjoy on cold winter evenings....so Jake took the sides of the fisher and made the top wider welded two doors on it and then made a screen from Perfex with handles and...wah laa, not a first, as Franklin has been around forever, but it worked, Jake played around with the idea until he thought he had something AND THIS is were most people are not privy to... Jake brought the unit to Bob's shop and presented the idea to Bob as a new line idea, well if anyone knows Bob, he is either on it or against it without much as a spit off tobacco, he was against it! Bob didn't like it and said he wouldn't build them, so after some debate Jake started building the double door stove and christened it "Frontier"...Now of course Bob didn't like the competition and I will say this, Bob never spoke something he didn't mean,. Bob never challenged Jake over any design use as he knew Jake had first came to him and Bob had rejected it. Of course Jake and Bob dropped the license agreement after Jake fulfilled his orders. FRONTIER wood stoves was not a copy, but an evolutionary redesign. It should be known that Bob Fisher and Jake Jackson lived just a few short miles from one another and had a mutual respect and a genuine friendship that lasted until Jake Jackson's death many years later. I ran Frontier wood stoves as a manager and later as a patent licensee. For anyone out there I was very good friends with the Fisher family, also with Earl Wing who ran the Fisher production for years....sorry to pop anyone's balloon, but for all the competition, there was also community, hell, in Eugene, Oregon alone there were several of the top selling wood stoves manufactured in the US, I used to go to Fisher for a blower or some steel that was back ordered, Earth Stove people would catch a ride on one of our freights, or Schrader stove co. might show up in our office and discuss trading equipment, etc. in the years 1977-1980 a majority of the steel plate imported to the NW was moving through wood stove production,.... millions were being made, sure there were ego's and greed and distrust, a lot was at stake.....But ask Bob Fisher if Jake Jackson stole his idea? Better check the facts out, Bob gave that one away! Mind you I will always respect Bob even as he is...he was always a friend.

clay jackson

Post by clay jackson » Sun. Mar. 24, 2013 12:39 am

Coaly wrote:It was deemed "politically incorrect". That means it's a good book !

Sold by Fisher Int. at "Fisher Factory Showrooms", usually the welding shop was in the back.

Written by Claudia Lynn, the wife of the president that replaced Bob when his health wouldn't allow him to continue.

They are still available if you know where to look. There must be a stash left as well, since I was surprised one day finding this brand new one in my mail box sent Priority mail from Springfield Oregon! It is still unexplained. I'm Paul, by the way.
FYI..... Bob made some personal observation comments about a guy in his story, got sued for slander, had to pull the Original book off the shelf, had pallets of them in the barn out back...

Sailor77

Post by Sailor77 » Thu. Apr. 11, 2013 12:52 pm

So this would be a papa bear @ 1978 / 1979 non UL?

Attachments

2013041095165440_2.jpg
.JPG | 105KB | 2013041095165440_2.jpg

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Oct. 23, 2013 9:08 pm

1392081_625477140828553_466645767_n.jpg
.JPG | 195.8KB | 1392081_625477140828553_466645767_n.jpg
41 here and dropping!

[email protected]
Other Heating: Fisher Goldilocks woodstove

Post by [email protected] » Thu. Jun. 15, 2017 3:16 pm

I bought a Fisher Goldilocks that seems to be in good condition for $200 it has all the tags and nameplates me and my wife moved into a single wide go home it was gutted and a small piece of land on the Wilson River in Oregon do you think it's worthwhile installing the Goldilocks or would I be better off with something else

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Jun. 16, 2017 12:53 pm

Sure! Why not?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jun. 16, 2017 2:03 pm

One advantage with the older "inefficient" stoves is they will burn green or wet wood. Maybe not great or with a lot of heat but it works. That is hard to do with modern stoves. If your wood is really cured well and dry you may be better off with a modern stove if you are going to use it a lot.... But not if just for a cord or two of wood a year.... Just my opinion and I dont claim to know everything :)

[email protected]
Other Heating: Fisher Goldilocks woodstove

Post by [email protected] » Fri. Jun. 16, 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks for the quick response I was wondering since there hasn't been any post in a while if I would get one

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”