Fisher Wood Stoves

Coaly
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hopper Fed Hitzer EZ Flo
Baseburners & Antiques: Many, including most all Fisher models
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / hard
Other Heating: Kitchen Queen 480

Post by Coaly » Sat. Dec. 17, 2011 8:29 am

That makes more sense. You had to increase, not reduce. You must have seen the double doors on eBay or Craigslist, there are tons listed.
Since I have most models, books and prints, here's some pics with different details through the years;
Grandma and Grandpa are more common today than the single door stoves. Even though all the first stoves were all single door from 73 to 76, the public wanted to view the fire, so the fireplace series became quite popular. Not as efficient as the original style, and Bob was against making a wider model with two doors. Here's a pic of the prototype with 3 piece top before a bending brake was aquired large enough to make the top from a single piece. This is the only one I've seen with brass ball handles and brass ball feet. The 76 on the door was the first year they were made, and called Bicentennial Model. Unlike the square seal on all other Fishers, the first doors were cast with a round groove and a 1/2 rod was welded to the stove face instead of the 1 inch channel. This was due to the inventor (Jake Jackson) copying Bob's stove, loosing his license to build in the process, and going on to start the Frontier Stove Co. They continued to use the round seal.
What makes the 3 piece top extremely rare in a double door stove, is the fact that the first stoves made were all 3 piece tops built narrow and long with single doors. It took too long to build, so fabricators went with a single piece bent top by 1975. When the wider design started, many couldn't bent the top being so wide. So a few were made in the original style, notice the overhang of each flat top piece. They are unique and a classic.
Here's the first one, that came from a home in Michigan, compared to a later one, before 1979 when the change was made to a one piece body with arched top doors. The later version with rounded arch top doors is UL listed, and a Roman Numerl III was added in the model designation. Notice they no longer have angle iron welded corners. They have bolt on legs that came in 3 styles. Standard steel, a fancy scroll cast, and the rare "bear leg" with hair and claws. The newer box is made from a single piece bent at the corners. These will have a UL tag on the back.
If your Papa has a flat top door, and was made by the NY fabricator, (Cal Cotton) it will have a serial number stamped on the back, upper right corner looking from the back. If it's a PA stove, it will have a number written with weld on the bottom. This is a "stove number" not serial.
If your Papa has the arched top door, it was made after 1980. The same number system was used until the later version IV came out with a rear shield with the UL tag on it.
Some doors, not all are cast with a date coded inside. I'd need a picture of the stove front to date it from door design, draft knob type, and handle.

Attachments

76 Grandpa 3 piece top 2.JPG

3 PIECE TOP

.JPG | 109.9KB | 76 Grandpa 3 piece top 2.JPG
76 GP door.JPG

76 IN STAR ON RIGHT DOOR ONLY

.JPG | 64KB | 76 GP door.JPG
76 GP Door Seal.JPG

ROUND DOOR SEAL

.JPG | 57.9KB | 76 GP Door Seal.JPG
Grandpa Front short trees.jpg

COMMON GRANDPA PRE 1980

.JPG | 57.5KB | Grandpa Front short trees.jpg
Grandpa III Napa 3.jpg

GRANDPA III WITH BEAR LEG ACCESSORY

.JPG | 68.7KB | Grandpa III Napa 3.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 17, 2011 9:33 am

I ended up giving the Papa to an Amish friend a couple yrs back, but, so many manufacturers copied the Fischer design, other then FISCHER being on the front, it was getting hard to tell who was who. This is an old BULLARD I still have set up in the back of the house in case company ever shows up. :clap: toothy By God, I quite often get a kick out of myself. ;)

Attachments

005.JPG
.JPG | 68.3KB | 005.JPG

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Dec. 17, 2011 10:36 am

I merged this topic with the existing one on Fisher stoves.

Here's a better photo of mine, with the data plate as well. On the plate it indicates the stove is for use with solid fuel only, wood or coal. I can't see how coal would work in it, however, since there is no grate.
DSCN0871.JPG
.JPG | 139.3KB | DSCN0871.JPG
DSCN0874.JPG
.JPG | 209.7KB | DSCN0874.JPG
DSCN0875.JPG
.JPG | 264KB | DSCN0875.JPG

Machinist01

Post by Machinist01 » Sat. Dec. 17, 2011 10:51 am

I started a post about running a 8 inch chimney down to a 6 and cant seem to find the post now.Here is a pic of my stove.From a few responses that I read it sounded like I didnt have a mama bear stove.Here is a pic of the stove I have,It does have a 8 inch chimney also

Machinist01

Post by Machinist01 » Sat. Dec. 17, 2011 11:01 am

I just saw that you moved this over here sorry I started another thread,please move my other over here if you would like to.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Dec. 17, 2011 12:37 pm

Done!

Thanks.

Coaly

Post by Coaly » Sat. Dec. 17, 2011 6:40 pm

Wood'nCoal, The Coal grate was an accessory for many Fisher stoves that were UL tested with both wood and coal. There was no separation plate between the air intake area and combustion chamber, so air wasn't forced through the grate basket affair like it should be. The Coal Bear was the only Fisher stove made for coal use.

Machinist, You have a Pre 1980, pre UL Grandma there. It will have 5 bricks across the back. It won't have an internal baffle, but really needs one. (shown below, in use since 1985, 5/16 steel plate has stayed straight and clean). Wire brush the inside of the doors, you will probably find the G/M L and G/M R on them. Picture posted below. The tight wound stainless springs were the first style spring after a solid ball, usually found with the 4 fin cap. (76 and 77) His father Baxter patented the first draft cap with 4 fins. The 5 fin draft caps are Bob Fishers own patented type. Making yours a late 77 or early 78. During 78, they went with a looser wound spring. After that, in 79 the arched top doors started to be put on the old style box like yours. The arched top doors were made for the big change coming in 1980 when the angle iron down the corners ceased, and legs were bolted on the one piece box.
Before the first draft cap was invented by Baxter, they were a black iron regular pipe cap shown below.
Here's a link to the Baxter Fisher (4 fin) original patent; http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4037584.pdf

I don't know if you guys are ready for a picture of me and Bob yet. :shock:

Attachments

Papa 1.jpg

PAPA BEAR WITH SOLID HANDLE AND PIPE CAP DAMPERS

.JPG | 71.5KB | Papa 1.jpg
Goldilocks Baffle.JPG

BAFFLE PLATE APPROX. 45* ANGLE

.JPG | 60.9KB | Goldilocks Baffle.JPG
Grandma door marking.JPG

GRANDMA LEFT DOOR MARKING

.JPG | 130KB | Grandma door marking.JPG

Coaly

Post by Coaly » Sat. Dec. 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Wood'ncoal, I have an Insert Manual for your stove in pdf if you need it.
Here's what they look like new, nickeled before paint.

You should really consider a blower. There were quite a few styles, and work very well. The full size Insert didn't have a bear name, and was designed to heat 1750 sf without blower. Over 2000 with.

Fred, Bullard was a Timberline copy. Timberline was a Fisher copy. A long story follows, documented in the Fisher Stove Story book published by Fisher Int.

Attachments

Insert Nickel  2.jpg

INSERT MANUAL COVER

.JPG | 104.4KB | Insert Nickel 2.jpg
Insert Nickel Manual 11.jpg
.JPG | 106.5KB | Insert Nickel Manual 11.jpg

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 17, 2011 8:03 pm

That's strange that only 300 were sold & he rest were recalled???? What was that about?

Coaly

Post by Coaly » Sat. Dec. 17, 2011 8:50 pm

It was deemed "politically incorrect". That means it's a good book !

Sold by Fisher Int. at "Fisher Factory Showrooms", usually the welding shop was in the back.

Written by Claudia Lynn, the wife of the president that replaced Bob when his health wouldn't allow him to continue.

They are still available if you know where to look. There must be a stash left as well, since I was surprised one day finding this brand new one in my mail box sent Priority mail from Springfield Oregon! It is still unexplained. I'm Paul, by the way.

Attachments

Bob Fisher.jpg
.JPG | 62.1KB | Bob Fisher.jpg
PC060046.JPG

NEW COPY SIGNED FISHER STOVE STORY 12/6/2010

.JPG | 55.5KB | PC060046.JPG

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Paul, sometimes doing something like that & not letting a damn soul know you did it, feels real good. Later my friend & thanx for the history lesson. My favorite subject. :)

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Dec. 17, 2011 11:34 pm

Wood'ncoal, I have an Insert Manual for your stove in pdf if you need it.
Here's what they look like new, nickeled before paint.

You should really consider a blower. There were quite a few styles, and work very well. The full size Insert didn't have a bear name,
I'd like the PDF of the manual. I really don't need the blower, I actually don't use the stove regularly anymore since moving to coal! I have the screen for it as well. If you look back in this thread, you'll see a photo of the baffle I made for it.

I got the stove for free about 15 years ago from a friend.

Now I feel I should paint the stove and polish the nickel. :idea:

Machinist01

Post by Machinist01 » Thu. Dec. 22, 2011 8:44 am

Machinist01 wrote:I started a post about running a 8 inch chimney down to a 6 and cant seem to find the post now.Here is a pic of my stove.From a few responses that I read it sounded like I didnt have a mama bear stove.Here is a pic of the stove I have,It does have a 8 inch chimney also

So which stove do I have yall????

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Dec. 22, 2011 9:54 am

Scroll back on this page, Coaly answered your question.
Machinist, You have a Pre 1980, pre UL Grandma there. It will have 5 bricks across the back. It won't have an internal baffle, but really needs one. (shown below, in use since 1985, 5/16 steel plate has stayed straight and clean). Wire brush the inside of the doors, you will probably find the G/M L and G/M R on them.

Machinist01

Post by Machinist01 » Thu. Dec. 22, 2011 3:00 pm

didn't see that,thanks!!

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”