Tankless Water Heaters

chevymatt
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S260

Post by chevymatt » Tue. Sep. 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Hey guys and gals. I'm still new around here and I haven't been able to find out what most people do with there tankless water heaters once there boilers are up and running.I have a small one for DHW and a large one for my radiant heat in the house and garage. I'm wondering if you plumb around it or through it. I'm using propane currently and don't want the tankless Kicking on every time there is a calling. Im sure the s260 can handle the load all by itself. Any Info would be appreciated. Thanks everyone. What a great site

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Tue. Sep. 20, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm installing an AHS S130 Coal Gun, and after many inquiries here I opted to heat my DHW with only the boilers internal coil and a mixing (tempering) valve. If that doesn't pan out I will go with an indirect HW tank and add a zone for it. You may find that you will no longer need your tankless water heaters.

Tull
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS-S130
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Anthracite
Other Heating: Oil for standby

Post by Tull » Wed. Oct. 05, 2011 12:29 pm

I have an S130, and I use it for heat and DHW most of the year. In the summer I switch to either my electric hot water heater or I use my oil-fired boiler which also has a DHW coil. Yes, it is a bit of a plumber's nightmare, but it works. I like having options; so if I were in your shoes I would hang onto the propane unit for DHW use, at least as a backup.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Oct. 05, 2011 2:56 pm

I'm kind of looking for a tankless water heater. I'd like to be able to use it during the summer if it's cheaper than running the Axeman Anderson. If I were you, I'd keep one on line for summer time use.

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Wed. Oct. 05, 2011 3:09 pm

Freddy wrote:I'm kind of looking for a tankless water heater. I'd like to be able to use it during the summer if it's cheaper than running the Axeman Anderson. If I were you, I'd keep one on line for summer time use.
I thought of one too, but their isn't a ng line to my place, don't really want a propane tank, and for and electric, they need 200 amps :o (the ones I see) that would take all my electric capacity just if the heater kicked on.

Pa papa
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS-130
Coal Size/Type: Pea; anthracite
Other Heating: oil fired boiler; LP insert

Post by Pa papa » Wed. Oct. 05, 2011 7:58 pm

I can't even imagine running out of hot water using the DHW coil in the AHS-130 and we sure miss it through the summer months when I switch to the electric hot water heater.
Last Thanksgiving week there were 8 people in the house and I never ran out of hot water. I do remember most of the girls at the dinner table but most of the time one of them was in the shower

chevymatt
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S260

Post by chevymatt » Wed. Oct. 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks guys for the responses. Still curious how I should plum it. Would you bypass the tankless heaters with a valve or just run through them and hope they don't kick on and waste propane for no reason. Not sure how the tankless heaters work I guess.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 05, 2011 8:48 pm

I would bypass the tankless propane unit when burning coal. Pipe a bypass on the coal boiler's tankless coil as well...you don't want to send cold water through the coil in an idled boiler in the summer.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Oct. 06, 2011 4:46 am

If you're in PA consider running your boiler year round. Even if it cost a little more you'll greatly increase the life of the boiler keeping it going 24/7/365. It really comes down to what you're paying for the coal. I figure it takes about 1 ton of coal extra over 4 months, just about makes up for what I'm going to be paying for electric anyway.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Oct. 06, 2011 5:57 am

For sure, if I lived in PA I'd burn all year 'round. (And then I'd sell that tankless heater. I know someone looking for one ;) )

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”