Which Way Would You Go With a Furnace?

BruteSpeed

Post by BruteSpeed » Sun. Nov. 28, 2010 8:26 pm

jeromemsn wrote:Brutespeed, to bad you didn't say if you had a pond or not on your property. One of the best Geothermal manufacturers is located just over in Ft. Wayne Ind. With a 1/3 of an acre of pond at 8 ft. deep you can have an endless supply of heat and cool and all you need is a pump. Thats my next adventure in a couple of years.
Yes I do indeed have a pond, and I have been thinking of putting a Geothermal in down the road. For now I want to use all the Ash wood that I have thanks to the beetles.

BruteSpeed

Post by BruteSpeed » Thu. Dec. 09, 2010 5:59 am

I fired my Hopsco V1500 up for the first time the other night. I don't have the chimney up as high as I need to yet, and I haven't installed the supplied thermostat yet either, but this furnace quickly got my house up to an uncomfortable temperature. I'll be wiring up the thermostat today, which controls the Dayton 1500 cfm blower and the amount of wood that is burned. I'll add some pic's when I get a chance. Bob

BruteSpeed

Post by BruteSpeed » Wed. Dec. 15, 2010 8:03 am

My house had all electric heat and since I started burning wood with the Hopsco V1500 the electric heat has not been used. Right now it is 3 degrees outside and the house is toasty warm! With the all electric heat this house does not have any ductwork, and right now I have just one 10" heat inlet and one 10" cold air return. I have pictures at the link here, and I'll be adding info and more pic's asap.
**Broken Link(s) Removed** Bob

BruteSpeed

Post by BruteSpeed » Wed. Feb. 09, 2011 6:48 am

After having used this outdoor furnace for several months I can say that I am very pleased with it. I can load it at night around ten o'clock and wake up the next morning to a nice warm house. Here is a link to my installation.

miltre

Post by miltre » Sun. Aug. 28, 2011 9:19 am

I would like to know more about the hopsco. Has anyone had one for a year or two to tell me how they like it?

Thanks!

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Sun. Aug. 28, 2011 8:51 pm

BruteSpeed wrote:After having used this outdoor furnace for several months I can say that I am very pleased with it. I can load it at night around ten o'clock and wake up the next morning to a nice warm house. Here is a link to my installation.

Name at least three things wrong with this photo:

1. Chimney not higher than any structure within 10 feet.
2. Chimney hot higher than the roof line.
3. Wood fired furnace installed on combustible wood pallet.
4. Power connected with cord and plug, non-water resistant connection.
5. Ducts not insulated.

OOPS, that's 5. I'll quit now.

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Mon. Aug. 29, 2011 12:22 am

The siding on that house would be brown/black after a short time plus I bet they get some smoke leaking into the house.
miltre wrote:I would like to know more about the hopsco. Has anyone had one for a year or two to tell me how they like it?

Thanks!
I don't know anything about that furnace and don't want to sound negative but processing enough wood to get through one winter takes lots of time and effort not to mention cost for saws etc.
I enjoy processing a little wood ( a cord or two) but when you're talking 8+ cords to get through one winter, that's no fun... :( been there done that.
If you plan to buy firewood, you really need to "do your homework" because you may not save much if any in heating costs.
Those are just a couple things I would consider before even looking at wood fired furnaces.

BruteSpeed

Post by BruteSpeed » Wed. Sep. 05, 2012 8:20 am

steamup wrote:
BruteSpeed wrote:After having used this outdoor furnace for several months I can say that I am very pleased with it. I can load it at night around ten o'clock and wake up the next morning to a nice warm house. Here is a link to my installation.

Name at least three things wrong with this photo:

1. Chimney not higher than any structure within 10 feet.
2. Chimney hot higher than the roof line.
3. Wood fired furnace installed on combustible wood pallet.
4. Power connected with cord and plug, non-water resistant connection.
5. Ducts not insulated.

OOPS, that's 5. I'll quit now.
That was a temporary installation to get through that Winter. Last year we got the chimney up higher than the roof, it drafts better now. Smoke was not a problem for us, the house did not get discolored from the smoke. That wood pallet has been replaced by a concrete pad, although the wood pallet was not a problem, in fact the snow seldom melted off of it. When we poured the pad, the electrical connection was redone with a water resistant connection. The ducts were insulated shortly after that picture was taken.

BruteSpeed

Post by BruteSpeed » Wed. Sep. 05, 2012 8:24 am

BruteSpeed

Post by BruteSpeed » Wed. Sep. 05, 2012 8:33 am

This load of wood will last approx two weeks. We have found the wood does not have to be split into as small of pieces as what we have here in the trailer. This furnace does a great job of burning logs that are only split into two pieces, and the wood will burn longer. We have put up a new building and we will be buying another one of the Hopsco furnaces for the new building.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Wed. Sep. 05, 2012 9:49 am

Pictures sure tell a much more detailed story. I would advise anyone that posts pics to advise that this is a 'temporary install'.... and weather permitting.....otherwise the 'bag slitting' and 'blood letting' can be gruesome.

Thanks for the updates, and hope you took the observations posted for what they were: constructive in nature, not demeaning. Nice Install, good planning, and a thankful family. Did I forget affordable..... :idea: :!: 8-)
Last edited by whistlenut on Thu. Sep. 06, 2012 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Sep. 05, 2012 10:34 am

Looks real good BS--hey, you chose the user name-- ;) Can't say I miss all the blocking, spliting, moving, moving, moving & moving again, but I do know how well wood can work. :)

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Sep. 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Still gonna be an inefficient smudge pot.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Fri. Sep. 07, 2012 6:20 pm

Hey BruteSpeed, I take it you don't have a basement to put the furnace in? How many cord of wood for the winter? Reason I ask about the basement is that you are probably helping heat the outdoors. If it were in a basement, any lost heat would rise and help heat your house :D

mag

Post by mag » Wed. Dec. 05, 2012 2:49 pm

I have just finished my 1500 install also and was wondering where you got insulation wrap for your pipes bs?

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”