USSC Barrel Stove

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Sun. May. 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi guys, I just purchased a couple of the United States Stove Company Barrel Stove Kits. I figured that I would try the USSC brand kits this time. I had usually purchased the Vogelzang Barrel Stove Kits in the past because they were readily available. This time I ordered a few USSC barrel kits from Northline Express. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res& ... TlsjhZaU7A

I now have compared the two brands of barrel stove kits and I think that I like the USSC barrel kit better. Here are my reasons. The USSC barrel kit has bolts, nuts, and washers, that are zinc or some style of metal that will not rust, the Vogelzang barrel kit has plain steel and it has rusted on me. The USSC exhaust flue collar is made where as the crimped end of the stovepipe fits into the collar so that creosote will drop back into the stove, the Vogelzang barrel kit collar fits so that the non-crimped end fits over the collar and creosote does drip out and down the side of the collar and stove. The USSC cast iron feed door assembly seems to fit better, has a tighter seal, and the door lock is made of a heavier steel so it closes tight, the Vogelzang cast iron feed door assembly doesn't seem to seal or align up as tight and the door lock is made of a easily bendable steel and needs adjusting to keep the door closed.

I'd end up making these barrel stoves for my outdoor cooking and someone would come along and say that they wouldn't mind having one of those. Well I then would sell it and make another. I've made three singles and one double barrel stove so far and I'm in the process of making another. This time I'm still unsure what it is that I want to design and build. I'm still in the designing and planning stage before I cut.

So, I thought that I'd see if any NEPA members make or have made any really cool outdoor cooking stoves, grills or smokers, using a barrel stove kit so I can get some ideas. Thanks, DOUG :idea: :)

Here are a few pictures of the USSC barrel kit.
DSCF2280.JPG
.JPG | 72.8KB | DSCF2280.JPG
DSCF2281.JPG
.JPG | 101.1KB | DSCF2281.JPG

ceccil

Post by ceccil » Sun. May. 16, 2010 9:28 pm

Doug, I have seen these kits but never thought much about them since I have never burned wood except as a campfire. I guess I see the reasoning for a single barrel for heating, but what is the reason for having a double system? Is it just for more heat output? Also was wondering about cooking? How would you use one to cook? Just wondering as I see these kits are not that expensive and I can easily get my hands on a number of metal barrels. I wouldn't use one for heating, but cooking sounds interesting. Any pics of one in operation? Thanks.

North Candlewood
Stoker Coal Boiler: Eshland S-130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker A 120
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1602
Baseburners & Antiques: Princess Atlantic Cookstove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Rice

Post by North Candlewood » Sun. May. 16, 2010 9:42 pm

Your always up to something!
I had one a double and used it as a single also.
I'd load it up on Friday afternoon and leave for the weekend and come home to hot coals Sunday night about 9 PM.
A real wood hog and had the tulips blooming in the middle of winter six feet either side of the chimney.
Smoker idea! :idea: Now we are using it!
We have a Green Egg http://www.biggreenegg.com/ It's Awesome!
Like you say and do so well Pictures Please.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. May. 16, 2010 10:36 pm

ceccil wrote:I guess I see the reasoning for a single barrel for heating, but what is the reason for having a double system? Is it just for more heat output?
With two, you double the surface area that radiates heat and double the volume of heat in process.

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Sun. May. 16, 2010 10:47 pm

I guess the main reason for the double barrel is for more heat exchange area and from my experience with a double barrel stove it sure will put out the Btu's.

I built a double barrel stove for a buddy of mine, he uses it in his green house. He was concerned that any sparks coming from the chimney may land on the plastic tent, so I used the double barrel stove to help eliminate this possibility. I used two barrel door kits, one for the bottom and one for the top barrel. What I found out from doing this is that the top barrel would slow the gases and whatever ash that would have gone up and out the chimney enough to let the ash fall out of suspension into the bottom of the top barrel. Also the cast iron feed door to the top barrel now gave the capability to add secondary air into the top barrel for better combustion. In addition to that, it made cleaning out the top barrel a breeze and the access to the top barrel now offered a place for them to cook food. How cool is that?

I've seen some interesting grills and some made from these kits online, but I thought that I 'd try to see if any of you guys did anything unique with these barrel stove kits. Here is a link to an interesting double barrel grill smoker just to get your appetite whet. http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalpit/bigbaby/bu ... _pit.shtml I'll have to post some pictures later when I get it closer to starting the project.

ceccil

Post by ceccil » Mon. May. 17, 2010 12:07 am

Sounds good.I would never replace my coal for wood, but as a bbq/smoker that sound great. I have both a gas and charcoal grill. I ran out of gas mid summer last year and have not used it since. Charcoal is much better. I have always wanted to try using wood but did not want to spend the $$$$. This sounds like a better solution. Seems to be a good project to do after I get back to work. Thanks.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. May. 17, 2010 7:15 am

I used one of those set ups to heat our house in Vt. for years when the only other options were a parlor stove or a franklin stove---it worked really well---takes me back some--used a 55 gal drum with this set up & a 30 gal smoke chamber on top--she was a beast---needles to say her name was "Big Bertha"

Tusane001

Post by Tusane001 » Fri. Feb. 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi guys, for those wonderign about cooking wit ht this set up, it takes alot of modifacation but man does it smoke some great BBQ, here is a link to my current project. this isnt my BBQ, but im currently in the stages of building one. Its called Big Baby, I had the privalge of texas brisquet off of one of these while in the military down in texas for school and training and man it was insanely good.
http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalpit/bigbaby/bu ... _pit.shtml

good luck with your heaters, BBQ's. they are fun projects =)

!!edit !!sorry missed the post above =) with the exact smae link

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Feb. 25, 2012 9:16 am

Nice looking kit!

About 30 years ago we heated our home with a 'Sotz' double barrel stove kit. The double barrels sat right in our dining room. That lasted for 3 years, then the house insurance man made an unexpected personal visit and told us he would cancel our policy if we didn't remove it.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Feb. 25, 2012 6:05 pm

Dang!!!! I visited the guys web link and now have this terrible urge for barbeque, like, right NOW :lol:

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”