Toyostove Laser 73 Model Kerosene Heater

valley trash

Post by valley trash » Sun. Jan. 10, 2010 3:16 am

Does anyone on here use Toyostoves? I have the laser 73 model and I was wondering if anyone has had any major problems with them or maybe some advice on getting them to run better. Pretty much any info you can offer.

valley trash

Post by valley trash » Thu. Jan. 14, 2010 6:59 am

Im not the only one here. Does anyone have an oil miser or something similar? Does anyone still burn No.2 at all. Do they even sell No.2 out east? Can you even fart out east? :bag:

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sun. Jan. 24, 2010 8:32 am

Toyos are kerosene, right?

I'll admit, I have several kero stoves and my best one is a tiny Kerosun, always start it and shut it down outside, great little stove.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Jan. 24, 2010 10:10 am

I had a Toyo but not that model, just the simple little cylindrical 22K BTU unit.

A Google search found this "tune up and rebuild kit" for the Toyo 73. If you look at the parts list in the tuneup kit, that should give you an idea of what might be going wrong if you are having trouble.

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

valley trash

Post by valley trash » Mon. Jan. 25, 2010 2:42 am

Thanks man, when the tax man says here you go I might pick this one up. It kind of seems as soon as I do anything with the stove it wants to act up. So this year I didnt even change the filter or anything. And so far im way ahead fuel wise from yesteryear, but this year is super warm compared to last. I have a 200 gallon tank and last week when I checked it was close to half full. A far cry from last year when I burned close to 500 gallons the whole year. High temps plus new insulation in the house must be the culprit.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Jan. 25, 2010 7:28 pm

valley trash wrote:im way ahead fuel wise from yesteryear ... new insulation in the house must be the culprit.
Insulation ... I need me some of that.

valley trash

Post by valley trash » Tue. Jan. 26, 2010 7:53 am

Pink Panther 30R baby!!

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. May. 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Yes I have Toyostoves. I have two 73s, OM22s and the hot big water heater. When oil started to rise I thought that being able to heat one zone at a time would save me money. So I had 6 OM22s, two 73s. they work well. the OM22 is cheaply made and now looking at service costs it's not so good (tough to get serviced now). They have to burn K1 or you have problems. They have paid for themselves but with oil going up they are not cost effective anymore. I do use them in the spring and fall just b4 lighting up to warm a room or two. Lousy service and getting them fixed is expensive and there are not many dealers left - the 73 is MUCH better made. I could fire the whole farm with mine but coal is much cheaper and better. So for my applications they are vastly inferior to coal in just about any area you choose to discuss with one exception. For small areas say under 1000 sq ft or so coal stoves are too much. In that appliocation I prefer pellets. F**k the Arabs.

valley trash

Post by valley trash » Sun. May. 23, 2010 12:33 am

Finally! Someone who isnt afraid of burning diesel. Yeah I hear you on the house size vs coal stove. If I were a bit further north it might make sense but being where I am up here and time spent away from home the toyo makes due for now. This winter I had no problems with it. Do you have any tips or summer month cleaning ideas for the toyo that you do? I have a toyo repairman down the road but hes pricey so anything I can do myself would cut the cost. Any help or preventive maintenance clues would me much appreciated.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. May. 23, 2010 12:32 pm

I missed the part you are from Alaska. I burn anthracite as I realized I am reasonably close to the worlds best fuel but I am a slow learner. TIp 1 is, only buy the 73 the OM22 is junk. Tip 2, only burn diesel/kero whatever you may call it. Tip 3, learn that not all keros are the same!!!!. I use a SG pyknometer and measure SG - I can't remember the numbers but look at the fuel - great kero is a delicate pink fuel. Never use heating oil #2 or #1, it HAS to be KI. You are in oil ville research this point carefully - in my part of the world heating fuel just get worse and worse. If you use the best fuel the 73 needs no maintenance period - 56s are good too. If it is sooting up you are using crappy fuel. Alsheating in Maine has for years been promising to develop a video on maintenance. Make sure that your mains power is clean. Always reset the clock after a power outage the 2:00AM cleaning is vital even in the summer. Remember all these fuels pick up water during summer humidity so make sure your stuff is fresh. Nothing screws up those little pumps like a little water. Good luck.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Jul. 12, 2010 11:25 am

Well Valley how did you make out with the Toyo maintenance? Any of my tips useful?

valley trash

Post by valley trash » Mon. Jul. 12, 2010 10:57 pm

Well...Ive been pretty busy with this leadership course im going through here for the past month and a half, so I havent really had a chance to get into the maintenance yet. I have ran it a few times in the evening after drinkin a few and it runs like normal but it sounds like there is something inside of it when it first starts up. No tellin whats crawled down through the exhaust pipe and met a fiery death. Thanks for the tips though, I was needing a direction to head in with it. Ill keep you posted if I come across something strange or out of the ordinary.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Jul. 14, 2010 7:25 pm

They are finicky creatures. If you are not going to keep running the 2AM clean out then put a tight cap over the outlet/inlet. I don't know what summer critters you have there but here it's yellow jackets. Of course, when you switch it on the usual groans of metal expansion are usual. However, if dirt gets into those little flame holes then the whole thing has to come apart and you will need to be sober for that rebuild. I know of one guy who runs heating oil and puts an extra tab heater on the inlet, in fact he swears that he can run veggie oil. That how Toyo changed the claim on the OM222 that they run on #2 just a bigger heater. Don't believe it, you will just make our local dealer rich. However, for fast local heat they are great but you need to supply TLC to live with them. Also you gotta get a good inlet filter such as a golden rod 5 micron add the filter replacement option with the water capture and that is even better.

Our local dealer became a personal friend but got out of the business. He complained that after people bought the units they would run it on any old #2 heating oil crap even though he told them only use kerosene from one local supplier and he got killed by service calls under warranty. Local bandits are diluting the kero with #2 to make extra cash and national standards don't catch that one - specs are very wide. Now we have no local dealers and repair guys charge a fortune to cover that one and I have to mail it to them. It's like Obama, hope for change seemed like a good idea at the time.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”