Dutchwest Vs. Defiant Encore #2140 Vs. Vigilant II #0036

VCBurner

Post by VCBurner » Tue. Dec. 29, 2009 12:25 am

I purchased my first stove last year a Sudiac Gotha 513. We burned a little coal last year but have come across quite a bit of wood. We have heated our small 3 bedroom ranch solely on wood this year so I've decided to upgrade to a slighly bigger wood stove with longer burning time. I've narrowed down to three Vermont Castings Stoves:
Dutchwest (about 6 years old) : 40,000 BTU, 9hour burn, heats 1,600 sq. ft., holds 22" logs, catalytic,
Defiant Encore #2140: 47,000 BTU, 10 hour burn, heats 1,900 sq. ft., catalytic
Vigilant II #0036: I don't know the specs except the fire box measures 24" wide. But I assume the BTU output and burn times are comparable.
Can anyone shed some light on comparing the three? It would also be helpful if anyone knows the specs on the Vigilant II #0036.

ohabanero
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Efel Arden giant 084-65
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: modified Gibraltar LCC double door model
Coal Size/Type: Stove nut and pea
Other Heating: Burnham boiler #2 fuel oil

Post by ohabanero » Mon. Jan. 04, 2010 1:13 pm

I think the vigilant is a coal stove that has some restrictions from the EPA for burning wood, but personally I would buy that one, as you have a fuel choice and then burn whatever ya want in it. you buy a defiant then you are bound to firewood for good.. It's nice sometimes even as a woodburner to just be lazy and burn some coal! :-) also we take our health for granted, but say youre in a car accident or chainsaw your foot in half, GOD FORBID! then what? if you own a vigilant you can just order up some coal and let the little lady fill the stove for ya!
Aaaaahahahahaha! Anybody ever hear the male chauvenist national anthem? "Put another log on the fire" ??? I don't recall the artist, but it's a hoot! Anyway that was a buncha unnecessary foolishness to say... "go with a vigilant coal"
Having burned 50 cord of wood myself I wood never restrict myself out of the coal option again!

VCBurner

Post by VCBurner » Fri. Jan. 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Yeah, I thought about the coal burning too. Flexibility is always good. Funny post and a good point!! Burn on!

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”