BTU Output of a Vermont Castings Vigilant #0036

VCBurner

Post by VCBurner » Mon. Dec. 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Hello all, this is my first post. I need the specs for a Vermont Castings Vigilant #0036. Does anyone know the BTU ouput, burn time or any other specifications for this unit? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Tue. Dec. 29, 2009 2:00 am

VCBurner wrote:Hello all, this is my first post. I need the specs for a Vermont Castings Vigilant #0036. Does anyone know the BTU ouput, burn time or any other specifications for this unit? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Welcome to the forum VCBurner. There are a number of older VC Vigilants users on this forum. Search for posts by rewinder- he runs two of the older units. Also, suggest posting over in the Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite . Good luck and again, welcome !

VCBurner

Post by VCBurner » Tue. Dec. 29, 2009 10:42 am

Thaks for the reply VigIIPeaburner, i'll try that! Which one is your Vigilant?

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Tue. Dec. 29, 2009 11:27 am

It's the Vigilant II model 2310 in current production I think. It was the redesigned coal only model with the ash pan in the ash drop compartment added below the lip of the double doors. With coal, mine is rated at 50,000 BTU/hr. It's a tad small for all out use of coal for heating my house but does do the majority of the heating. I'll eventually get to that level. ;) I think that since your are burning wood in your Vigilant the output will be lower than 50k due to the lower BTU content of the fuel. There's another thread about Trying to Calculate Coal Usage for My Stove in another thread. It might get you close if you can't get a quote from the literature.

VCBurner

Post by VCBurner » Tue. Dec. 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Thank you again! It sounds like a nice stove. 50,000 BTU would be enough to heat my small ranch. My Vigilant takes a 24" log and has a fairly good size fire box. It also has solid doors and no ash pan. It seems to me that it may reach close to upper 40g's BTU at peak burn. It's in the teens here and 72 in my house with a really low fire! Take care and stay warm.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”