Hand Fired Coal/Wood Stove That Can Heat My Radiant Floors

jsnowwarm

Post by jsnowwarm » Sat. Dec. 19, 2009 5:22 pm

Can anyone point me in the right direction?!? I have radiant heat(concrete floors) in my house(1400sqft). I am looking for a hand fired coal/wood stove that can have an optional coil to heat my radiant floors and also be able to blow the heat. Is there any company or stove that has this option. I see the Harman mark III has this option for domestic hot water, but can it handle my floor?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Dec. 19, 2009 5:33 pm

Most stoves are NOT boilers, yes, you can put coils in most stoves, but normally only for domestic, since it is stored heat and usually have a volume (30-80 gallons). Unless you have a storage tank for your radient floor, wouldn't recomend.

You should look at a standard coal stoker boiler, you would be much happier with one designed to do what you want. What are you using to heat your floors now? Standard Gas or Oil boiler? How many BTU's? etc....

jsnowwarm

Post by jsnowwarm » Sat. Dec. 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks... the reason I was looking into hand fired stoves, is be how I designed my house. It is build into rock on the side of the mountain and I don't have any room for a boiler(no basement and a small unility room),unless they make one nice enought to go in the living room?

right now I use propane and 80,000 btu

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Dec. 19, 2009 6:06 pm

jsnowwarm wrote:I have radiant heat(concrete floors) in my house(1400sqft). I am looking for a hand fired coal/wood stove that can have an optional coil to heat my radiant floors and also be able to blow the heat.
You have radiant heat and want a stove? When whatever you are on wears off, get yourself a little Keystoker or similar stoker boiler, it will make a great conversation piece in the living room and you can get your hot water from it too. Little tending, cleaner than a stove and you can take a trip without worry. ;)

GeorgiePorgie

Post by GeorgiePorgie » Thu. Dec. 24, 2009 7:59 pm

For a 1400 Square Feet, it shouldn't be a problem to modify something and make it work, if you already built your house on a slope, it's another plus to have a nice coal bin with an incline, I always wished to have such a situation, I have built a bin last year for an old friend of mine, imaginne one of those cement transport truck, with the container ( not turning ) having its top sliced horizontally, it worked really nice, that he was able to completely empty the bin, without having to go inside it and shovle anything, it held 4 tons, and few people who watched me build it were taking bets whether it would crack under the load, it held up very well, its lowest point of exit was off the floor, about 18 inches, it's about empty now, ( he is using oil again temporarily ) . So I'll be able to take pictures, and possibly a video.

I have seen many hand fired stoves as boilers, and they may be the answer to your needs, you just have to keep on looking , if I find one, I'll send you the link.

Converting a stoker to become a boiler, isn't too hard these days, I have turned one of my stokers, into a continuous hot water source, I did the testing Sep-2009, I did not measure however, how many GPM I have reached, but it was plenty . I am about to start using it full time summer and winter. I figured 15 to 20 Dollars a month shold be the maximum it would cost me to have all my hot water needs.

The one disadvantage of a stoker, is the fact you can not burn wood in one of those things, and we all have at some points some wood we would like to burn.

VCBurner

Post by VCBurner » Tue. Dec. 29, 2009 12:40 am

Stoves such as the one your looking for are made! While doing research online I came across some beautiful boiler/stoves that have multy fuel capabilities. However, they were European. I don't know if you can get them here. But it's worth looking into. The site is Charnwood.com. I hope you find what you need.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”