Is Locust Good to Burn in Stove?

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Mar. 09, 2012 5:44 pm

buffalo bob wrote:man take all the locust u can get it burns almost as hot as coal.. let it dry for atleast 6 months to a year. u wont regret it
Yep again, it burns almost like coal. It is also a low water content wood so six months to a year is all you need. I cut down two Honey Locust trees a few years ago, I was burning it green with no problems. Kept some by the stove for a day or two and it was dry. The guys over at Hearth told me you can burn it green. I'm really bummed, I am almost out of it. But I still have a ton of coal left.. :)

woodstoveman

Post by woodstoveman » Wed. Mar. 14, 2012 11:52 pm

season for a year. split and stack, cover the top and let the wind blow thru it. has high BTU content, burns hot and long.

springer

Post by springer » Tue. Apr. 03, 2012 4:59 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:springer -Great find! BL burns darn near like coal, especially aged as long as yours is. I have some that's been under cover in my wood pile for nearly 10 years. Still looks and burns like it did when I got it - solid.

Looking at your picture I'm wondering if the log length is too long for the Vigilant. Does it fit or do you need to cut some off?
They use Black locust for fence posts around here, last for many years as its naturally rot and insect resistant

Picture is deceiving . They are about 16 inches

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Tue. Apr. 03, 2012 6:48 pm

A fence built of black locust will last 200 years longer than a stonewall. My grandfather said that. I burned it many years ago when I had a free supply. Cut it up around dusk and you be amazed at the sparks that come off the saw chain. It has enormous heat potential and is just the best on cold winter nights. It should not be burned in a fireplace due to sparks and some chemicals that are not good for folks. In an airtight stove it is great. Before storing inside check under the bark for beetle grubs---no need to give them a new home. Anyone building a dock would love to have some locust to drive in for pilings----it lasts forever.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Wed. Apr. 04, 2012 12:28 pm

It is good but, not as good as osage orange

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”