How Old Is Too Old for Wood

Hanover Breaker

Post by Hanover Breaker » Sun. Aug. 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi,
I have wood stacked in my yard for about 7 years. :oops:
Is it worth anything to anybody or should I pay to have it hauled out.
Thanks,
Rick

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Sun. Aug. 23, 2009 7:25 pm

put it on Craigs list

Get something for it

ASK for an offer -- make a counter offer of 25% more and settle in the middle

Or at lease get it taken for free -- no cost to you

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sun. Aug. 23, 2009 7:47 pm

If its not rotten, it'll be the best-seasoned wood to burn. Sell it, if its still good.

Hanover Breaker

Post by Hanover Breaker » Sun. Aug. 23, 2009 7:48 pm

If someone could tell me what to look for.I know its all hardwood. I'd like to trade for a lawnmower.

Sting

Post by Sting » Sun. Aug. 23, 2009 9:44 pm

If you think its worth a lawn mower

ASK That Much for it -- Or best offer

You will get 6 calls by lunch. :roll:

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Aug. 24, 2009 7:45 am

If it it white birch and was never split, it is junk. All white birch must be split when cut or it goes dozey even if under cover.

Other than unsplit white birch, If it's been under cover it should be good, but even under cover wood can go bad under certain circumstances....stacked tight, humid areas. Hardwood If not covered it may or may not be good. Inspect the wood to tell if it's good or rotten. Good dry wood will be solid with "checks" on the ends, that is, little splits from shrinking as it dries. If you strike two pieces together, they will bounce apart and make a solid sharp sound. You can not push a fingernail into good wood. Rotten wood will have damp soft spots, perhaps even mold or fungus on the ends. If you take your fingernail you can squish it into the wood and see that it's wet. Knocking two pieces together will make a dull thunk and barely if at all bounce.

Sting

Post by Sting » Mon. Aug. 24, 2009 7:50 am

Anyone that comes to make an offer will have their own opinion of its condition.

Your the one that has to target its worth and if the buyers don't think its worth it

Well I am sure they will :P

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Mon. Aug. 24, 2009 8:21 am

Freddy wrote:If it it white birch and was never split, it is junk. All white birch must be split when cut or it goes dozey even if under cover.

Other than unsplit white birch, If it's been under cover it should be good, but even under cover wood can go bad under certain circumstances....stacked tight, humid areas. Hardwood If not covered it may or may not be good. Inspect the wood to tell if it's good or rotten. Good dry wood will be solid with "checks" on the ends, that is, little splits from shrinking as it dries. If you strike two pieces together, they will bounce apart and make a solid sharp sound. You can not push a fingernail into good wood. Rotten wood will have damp soft spots, perhaps even mold or fungus on the ends. If you take your fingernail you can squish it into the wood and see that it's wet. Knocking two pieces together will make a dull thunk and barely if at all bounce.
Good description Freddy. But it's true: Whomever will come to look at it will have their own opinion.
Another option: Sell it on your street, in stacks of 10 or 20 pieces, for $5 or $10 a stack. The yuppies will buy it up for their Friday/Saturday nite Fireplace burn. :idea: :idea:

Hanover Breaker

Post by Hanover Breaker » Thu. Aug. 27, 2009 6:26 pm

thats a very good idea
Thank you all

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”