Kerosene Shelf Life?

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Sat. Feb. 14, 2009 4:32 pm

Since I switched from burning wood to burning coal as my main heat source, I am using very little Kerosene in my Toyostove vented space heater. The last time I bought Keros. was in the summer of 2007. I now have about 125 gallons left. The storage tank is outdoors in a shady spot. Does anyone know what the storage life of K-1 Kerosene is :?: I am thinking maybe I should stop burning coal soon (for this year) so I can use up the keros. before it goes to waste. :|

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Feb. 14, 2009 4:58 pm

I think Kero will last about forever, but like fuel oil, it needs treatment if stored. Germs grow on the film between the oil and the water (Yes, even if it's a micro amount) Basically a pesticide is used."Killem" I think it's called.

grizzly2

Post by grizzly2 » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Thanks Freddy. That is what I needed to know. Good, now I can burn the Hitzer until the days just get to warm. :D

Nevercold

Post by Nevercold » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Algae:

There is a greater problem when dealing with diesel fuel storage and it's something that gasoline engines don't have to deal with. Because diesel fuel is a heavier substance than gasoline and has no real vapors it is subject to algae. Small amounts of water will accumulate in diesel fuel. Most of this water comes from condensation in the tank area directly above the fuel level. That's why it's important to keep the fuel tank (on any vehicle) as full as possible during storage in order to minimize condensation. This condensation slides down into the fuel and remains suspended in it. Once it's there it acts as a breeding ground for microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi, and algae. These organisms feed off the hydrocarbons in your fuel (pretty tasty, huh) and create a waste product that is both corrosive and harmful. If there is sufficient quantity of this stuff in your tank you will be in for a surprise come spring. This gunk will begin to plug up your fuel filter and your engine will lose power and die. You may have to go through a whole lot of expensive fuel filters in order to filter all of the icky stuff out unless you have your fuel pumped and filtered externally. Either way, it's time consuming and expensive so you don't want to go there.

The best way to prevent this from happening is to add an algaecide to your fuel prior to storing your RV. Pri-Products makes Pri-Ocide, which does a great job but you'll find algaecides from other manufacturers at most major marine dealers. They're generally made by the same people who make fuel additives but not all truck stops stock an algaecide. An algaecide will float on the surface of your fuel and will also mix with any water found elsewhere in the fuel. It will kill any existing growth as well as provide a protective barrier against any future growth. The additive burns right up with your diesel fuel when you run your engine so if you run your engine regularly to exercise it in winter you may want to consider adding a bit more algaecide every now and then, depending upon how much fuel you burn and how small your tank is. Algae is also climate sensitive so storing your RV in Nome, Alaska over the winter is going to be better for the fuel than storing it in the Panama Canal over winter. Heat and humidity will foster growth of algae so this means more for you southern RVers than us snowbirds up in Wisconsin. Personally, I do add fuel additive and algaecide in November to my 150 gallon tank. I exercise the RV once a month and sometimes even get to drive it for a couple of hours rather than 15 minutes, depending upon the road conditions. I don't add any more algaecide under these conditions.

Nevercold

Post by Nevercold » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 7:55 pm

Complete Diesel Treatment

For New Ultra Low Sulfur and All Diesel Fuel Blends!

Home | Recreational Marine | Emissions Reductions | FAQ

PRI-D is a super concentrated, complete fuel treatment that improves all diesel fuels and kerosene, enabling them to perform to maximum potential. PRI-D is also specially formulated for today's new ultra low sulfur fuels, providing lubricating protection for fuel pumps, injectors, and upper cylinder components. PRI-D's industrial strength, enhanced thermal stability chemistry reacts with fuel upon contact, and provides multiple benefits:

• Engines perform better and last longer

• Increased power and fuel economy

• Major reductions in smoke

• Provides enhanced lubrication for ultra low sulfur diesel fuels

• Fuel stays fresh months, even years at a time

• Tanks remain free of slime and sludge

Improved Engine Performance – PRI-D works chemically within diesel fuel to improve the combustion process. Improved combustion means improved engine performance. You will realize increased power from your engine. At the same time, you will enjoy greater fuel economy. PRI-D is also extremely effective at reducing harmful emissions, including smoke opacity, NOx and SOx.

Reduced Maintenance Costs – PRI-D is a highly effective preventative maintenance tool. PRI-D’s proprietary, refinery-grade chemistry is unsurpassed at preventing carbon deposits and fuel system fouling. Your engine will remain cleaner and last longer. In addition, the tank slime and sludge that diesel fuel users commonly encounter is eliminated!

Extended Storage Life – Properly treated with PRI-D, your diesel fuel will stay fresh in storage for months and even years at a time. Tests have shown where PRI-D has gone a step further, actually restoring old fuel to refinery-fresh conditions. If you are storing diesel fuel for any period of time, you can’t afford to be without PRI-D.

Super Concentrated – PRI-D is super concentrated, treating fuel at a 1:2,000 ratio. This means PRI-D is extremely cost effective to use. Get the most out of your diesel fuel for only pennies a gallon!

Bottle Size Gallons Treated
16 Ounces 256 gallons
32 Ounces 512 gallons
1 Gallon 2,000 gallons

Safe To Use – PRI-D’s enhanced thermal stability chemistry works within the fuel instead of altering it, which means the product is completely safe to use. PRI-D contains no potentially damaging cetane improvement additives or harsh solvent chemistries. No fuel specifications are changed, therefore PRI-D meets all major engine manufacturer fuel specifications – warranties are not voided! Use PRI-D today to get the most out of your diesel fuel and your engine.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Does this stuff also keep the Deisel fuel from gelling in low temps? :) Scott

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Feb. 16, 2009 6:19 am

The next question.... if you treat a tank of oil and never use it, does it need complete re-treatment each year? Each 5 yrs? Treat it once, never again?

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Mon. Feb. 16, 2009 11:49 am

When I worked as a petroleum lab technician in the army we tested gasoline,diesel fuel,and jet

fuel which had been stored in 55 gal barrels for 25+ years and most was good.The fuel that

tested bad was always from drums which were not sealed properly or were damaged

in the storage area.There was some pre WWII diesel fuel and it was also good.They

filtered and blended the off grade jet fuel for vehicle fuel.

Much of this fuel was stored right after WWII and then shipped to Israel for the

Israel-Arab war in 1967 for the Israel Armed Forces.

The trick to this long term storage is that the drums have to be sealed with high

quality bung caps and stored with the bungs parallel with the ground and elevated

so no moisture can get into the fuel.They are stored outside in 3-5 high drums and

in the open air with no cover.These drums are heavy reuseable drums which have

been rebuilt and painted with the highest quality seals and paint.

These new bio-cides work well to keep the layer between the fuel and the water

fungus and bacteria free or at least under control.You have to keep air out or they

will not be effective against the aerobic bacteria which are found in the fuel,also

many anaerobic bacteria are present and other chemicals in these products will

control these and the fungus too.It is best to add these products as you fill the

tank (container) so that they form this protective layer between the fuel/water

barrier where they are most effective.

BigBarney

grizzly2

Post by grizzly2 » Mon. Feb. 16, 2009 4:21 pm

Does Store-X for gasoline work under the same priciple as the kerosene additive?

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Mon. Feb. 16, 2009 4:49 pm

I have always used STA-BIL in my gas for chain saws, lawnmowers, and such. Never have carb varnish issues, even after sitting all winter. I just read the label of STA-BIL, and it says it can be used in Diesel also. Not sure if its an algecide. I never thought about the fuel oil #2 in my Roth tank. Its been in there for 3-4 years! 7/8 full tank. New tank in 2005. Never had to refill it, as we always heated with wood. And now we heat with coal. I'd like to keep it and preserve it if possible.
I guess I just need to add algecide?

Chris F.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Mon. Feb. 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Nevercold wrote:PRI-D is a super concentrated, complete fuel treatment that improves all diesel fuels and kerosene, enabling them to perform to maximum potential.
I would like to get the PRI-G version of this. Converts Deisel to Gold? :clap:

Chris F.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Feb. 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Kero is the fuel of choice for the survivalist crew.
Stores well burns with little smoke.
If they only knew about coal there would be 100 ton bunkers of the stuff...
Maybe they do know...just have not told anyone!

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”