Mild weather wood burning

nickdearing88
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS AquaGem 1100
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk pea/nut
Other Heating: LP Boiler

Post by nickdearing88 » Sat. Nov. 03, 2018 8:38 pm

I've been testing out the AquaGem burning some wood, with and without the "wood plate" that limits airflow from below the grates. It seems to burn well, but this is the first time I've burnt wood in a boiler, rather than a furnace or stove. Whenever I burn wood, I always try to burn dry, well-seasoned wood. I usually tend to have smaller fires, with smaller pieces of wood that burn hot and fast (which I always equate with efficient). I generally have very little smoke, turning to more clear vapor well into the burn process. I usually tend more often, using the smaller pieces of wood.

So that brings me to a couple questions:

Are my old-fashioned "beliefs" about efficient wood burning really correct ie: hot and fast, smaller dry, seasoned hard woods, keep chimney stack temp ~300F (minimum to prevent potential creosote)?

How should I best control air on my DS AquaGem 1100 burning wood? I have one large firebox door spinner, and a small above-door spinner which connects to an air tube at the top of the firebox. I'm aware this is for secondary combustion air. The manual states to open 1/16" to 1/8" when burning wood, close with coal (which I do). I crack the firebox door spinner when burning coal to prevent puff-backs, but should this be used with wood burning also? I know wood likes over the fire air, unlike anthracite.

If I was burning mainly wood, I would have a wood gasifier boiler, but I plan to use coal the majority of the time. I bought the AquaGem so I wouldn't be restricted to coal only, so I'm just trying to use it efficiently with wood also. I think next winter, I'll add a 50 gallon buffer tank; this would really help while burning wood.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 04, 2018 6:58 am

You got it. Short and hot fires to keep the stack temperature up, and plenty of secondary air.

bcdex
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS 100 Coal/Wood bolier

Post by bcdex » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 8:51 pm

Nick, I'm on my 3rd year with my DS 1100. When burning wood keep the big spinner on the door closed and open the little spinner above the door, it will burn the smoke and gasses from the wood. Don't open both or smoke will come out the small spinner.
When burning coal, use the spinner on the door and close the small spinner. The spinner on the door is there to help push the coal gasses out of the stove by pushing air across the top of the coal. If the spinner on the door is not open enough you will get a gas buildup and a Huge BOOM.
I learned real fast to follow the instructions in the book lol.
Dex

nickdearing88
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS AquaGem 1100
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak bulk pea/nut
Other Heating: LP Boiler

Post by nickdearing88 » Mon. Nov. 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks Dex. We've had a puff back or two but that was during really mild weather when we "shut-down" too fast after servicing and reloading. I generally keep the door spinner open as little as possible. Where do you set yours?

Do you generally burn nut or pea, combo? I've been doing really great with the pea during mild weather.

Great to meet someone else with the same boiler. Where are you located?

bcdex
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS 100 Coal/Wood bolier

Post by bcdex » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 11:19 am

I've been thinking about my first burn in the morning, just fill it up with wood, then when that load goes to coals, add the coal for the night. Why you might ask? Because I have tons of wood also and I just want to play around with it... Hay, I'm retired and have the time to play with it lol.

Return to “Wood, Pellets, Gas, Oil, Geothermal & Other Heating Types”