How Often to Reseal a Castiron Stove

Pete69

Post by Pete69 » Sat. Jan. 17, 2009 8:35 am

I am purchasing a used Vermont castings vigilant 2 as my 2nd stove to run in my office. I have not heard all good things about this stove but it will be a supplement to my Baker. To make it more efficient how often would one dismantle it and reseal all the joints? Also what is anyone's opinion on welding the stove together. That last one might be a silly thought.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Jan. 17, 2009 10:00 am

The stove needs movement in the plates never weld a VC joint!
Total dissasembly is a major task and the threaded rods usually break, save that for the summer!
Furnace cement over the outside joints will do for now and be quite effective.

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Sat. Jan. 17, 2009 10:03 am

I have seen furnace cement in caulk tubes in the past. I had one sitting in my shop for many years and it was still usable. It was the silica water soluble type. That came in handy.

Pete69

Post by Pete69 » Sat. Jan. 17, 2009 10:29 am

Guess that sounds like about my 20th project already lined up for summer.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Jan. 17, 2009 12:02 pm

[quote="Pete69"]...820 yrs and had no problems with leakage/air-tightness either.

I'd only consider taking it apart if you see problems. That's the advice I got from VC service people - who $ELL the service :shock: - don't take it apart or call us unless you see problems. The quote was something like they're a very rugged stove and only suffer after repeated over firings. Note too that this was a call I initiated to someone who did NOT sell me the stove.

Didn't need to do anything to make it efficient. Last night the temperature was -11 and it was running at 700 all day and night. Stove pipe temp was ~ 170 - 180 without a baro. Coal usage is ~ 80Lb/day at full burn. Personally, once you learn to run this stove, I don't think you'll need a baro because of the thermostatically controlled air inlet. You have to become familiar with the drafting profile of your chimney and then adjust the inlet to open no more than 3/8 when recharging a mature fire. Keep opening it to 1/4-3/8 ths the stove top temp rises to ~ 600. Close the internal damper each time when you see the dance show begin. It will settle to cruising temp at 700 and sit there for hours. Depends on your draft. I get 10- 12 hours on pea with these conditions.

Good luck. The Vigilant will look good in your office if you can stand the heat :)

Pete69

Post by Pete69 » Sat. Jan. 17, 2009 12:14 pm

yes it is the vigilant II 2310
Cruising at 600-700 sounds like I'm going to like this stove

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sat. Jan. 17, 2009 12:34 pm

I have a 28 year old wood fired Vigilant that has never been torn down, just resealed on the outside with furnace cement.
Properly treated the stove will be fine for a long time.
Broke in properly, good cast iron, these stoves are fine.

Pete69

Post by Pete69 » Sat. Jan. 17, 2009 12:55 pm

When I was a small boy my father bought a wood burning Defient. the whole family took a trip to Vermont to the factory and showroom to pick it up. I still remember that trip. Heated the house my whole childhood till well after I moved out. The stove still sets where it always has unused in good shape. I think the old man got sick of all the work of burning wood. I'm now trying to talk him into coal.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”