Antique Coal Screen/Sifter

rovatune

Post by rovatune » Fri. Dec. 12, 2008 6:16 pm

I always wondered what this thing was hanging in my parents garage - turns out it's a coal screen. I haven't used it to screen ashes for unburned coal but I did find a good use for it today.

Some of the nut coal I use includes dust (fine coal) at the bottom of a bag. I've been dumping the bottom of bags into one bag for about a month and today used the screen to make a nice 3/4 bag of clean coal.

The screen measures 14" in diameter (although I think making it the size of a dry wall bucket might work better) and 3 1/2" deep. The screen holes measure 1/2" square and are supported on the bottom by two wire rods.

This thing works great and if I have to clean out the stove, I'm sure it will screen ashes too.

Larry

Attachments

coalsifter.jpg
.JPG | 89.6KB | coalsifter.jpg

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Fri. Dec. 12, 2008 6:23 pm

That's a beauty!

I'm not sure why my wife made this, maybe to seperate the carrots from the peas, but I've found it handy to sift ashes. 1/2" screen also.

Attachments

DSC01946.JPG
.JPG | 932.5KB | DSC01946.JPG

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Dec. 12, 2008 7:20 pm

I saw an old one that mounts on a barrel, and you turn the handle....at a local antique dealer.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”