Found Cook Stove Today

jimbo
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Fire Chief 700
Coal Size/Type: Stove or nut

Post by jimbo » Sun. Aug. 31, 2008 5:33 pm

Bought this keystoker off of craigslist today for $350 it is a cook stove but I want to try to use it to heat my sons mobile home with an addition.
I am going to install in addition and use fans for moving air around.
I did get an operation manual with it and it does not give any BTU rates. if any one need a copy of operation manual I can see if I can upload it.
The fire bricks of fire box are 10 deep 9 wide 21 long. Burns nut or pea.
Any idea of the age of stove?
It looks like it has 2 draft conrtrolls one high in the back and one low in front of ash pan.
front.JPG

front of stove

.JPG | 392.8KB | front.JPG
back.JPG

back of stove

.JPG | 193.1KB | back.JPG
grates.JPG

grates

.JPG | 164.7KB | grates.JPG
grates 2.JPG

shacker grates

.JPG | 172.7KB | grates 2.JPG

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Sun. Aug. 31, 2008 8:06 pm

looks to be in pretty good shape.with the size of that grate I would think nut coal would work better.

How do you get coal in that thing? In the top.

DON

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Sun. Aug. 31, 2008 11:12 pm

coal is loaded though top of stove. The stove is in real good condition has a 4 inch outlet for chimney hook up.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Sep. 01, 2008 6:15 am

Looks like a workman of a little stove.

That firebox is just about the same size as the Vermont Castings Vigilant. The Vigilant is rated 50,000 BTUs. Although the 4 " outlet indicates it might be less. Give 'er a go & let us know how she heats.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Mon. Sep. 01, 2008 7:14 am

It may be prudent to buy a bag or so of pea coal just to see how that size grate will perform for you with the pea size.It would be terrible to have several tons of the wrong size coal.Then again,a guy like me could always offer to take it off your hands,at a reduced price of course!! Get that owners manual for certain and get it first. Good Luck, Mike

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Mon. Sep. 01, 2008 7:37 am

I already have a coal furnace that uses nut coal so I co play around with it and see how it does.
I found another one listed on craiglist with pics it is the same model and he has it listed as 70,000 BTU. don't know where he got his information but has listed as new stove.
Here is a link to it
**Broken Link(s) Removed**

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Mon. Sep. 01, 2008 2:46 pm

That's one cute kitchen stove.
DON

SemperFi

Post by SemperFi » Mon. Sep. 01, 2008 11:06 pm

I think you did good finding that stove for $350, looks like a fine stove. I would bet that stove is around 50k btu. It looks like half of my keystoker hopper fed 90k btu, around half should be in the 50 range. Even if it was in the 35k to 40k range that should more than heat a mobel home. You might want to put heat tape on the water pipes as some mobel home mfg. run the water along side the heat runs to prevent freezing. I think your son will be more than pleased with that stove. I think you will find the best results with nut coal, mine doesnt like pea, the grates look the same to me. I could be wrong but you may want to instaul a magic heat of some sort, most cook stoves were designed to exhaust heat not retain it, does it have a heat baffel in it. the cook stove I grew up with sent most of the heat up the stack as not to over heat the summer kitchen in the summer months.

Attachments

100_0677.jpg
.JPG | 1.3MB | 100_0677.jpg

psmiley

Post by psmiley » Fri. Jan. 09, 2009 11:08 pm

I called about that stove, I saw it for sale for $750 and thought it was too pricey. Can't remember the manufacturer, however, I called them and they told me that the stove was designed and made with Y2K in mind. They cut some corners to make it more marketable he said, by only allowing it to be loaded from the top, which can bar your view of the fire. He remarked that it was a very good stove and probably worth the $750, but I like to be able to see the fire.

Looked to me like a very good stove, efficient and pleasing to the eye Good luck with it. I would recommend nut coal.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”