baseburners, draft check or not

gardener

Post by gardener » Mon. Feb. 13, 2023 10:40 am

I have seen draft checks built into the backside of oak stoves and square stoves near the exhaust port, but I have not seen anything similar on photos of baseburners.

I have noticed that on some baseburners there is a draft check built into the exhaust elbow.
How did the manufacturers know which baseburners needed a draft check and which did not?

A lot of the baseburners I see for sale appear to be missing the exhaust elbow.
If a baseburner originally came with an elbow that had a draft check, what do buyers use for a draft check then?
Are these buyers calling around to stove shops trying to find elbows with draft checks that might fit their stoves, or making their own, or does some manufacturer make a section of stove pipe with a draft check?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Feb. 13, 2023 11:03 am

The check damper is really only needed for wood, or for coal if the draft strength of the chimney is very strong.

Unlike with wood, with coal there are various ways to accomplish what a check damper does.

Some add a second MPD for slowing a too-strongly drafting chimney.

Some have success using the secondary damper like a check damper.

You can also slow a coal fire by adding some fines on top of the firebed, or using a mix of smaller sizes of coal to slow the burn rate.

Paul

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”