Part of What I Believe is an Early Hot Water Heater

Jeff@mvdeerxing
Other Heating: wood

Post by Jeff@mvdeerxing » Fri. Oct. 28, 2022 11:00 am

Any and all thoughts welcome.

I have never seen anything like this before, but the price was right so it found a new home in my barn for now.

I am thinking that this is the heater unit that sat inside a larger water tank to heat the water. If you look on the outside you see a water level live. My thinking here, but what do I know.

Some eye candy for you all.

Attachments

9ayMGUAhQd+NTloaLei4Ww.jpg
.JPG | 755.7KB | 9ayMGUAhQd+NTloaLei4Ww.jpg
mGizKJqMQVeCJ1v6Sww9qA.jpg
.JPG | 834KB | mGizKJqMQVeCJ1v6Sww9qA.jpg
fullsizeoutput_8d3.jpeg
.JPEG | 718.2KB | fullsizeoutput_8d3.jpeg
U1gTLIooQESAeZwQQNkdgg.jpg
.JPG | 719.4KB | U1gTLIooQESAeZwQQNkdgg.jpg
XUI5ZXdGS2OINDu%JTxXnA.jpg
.JPG | 1MB | XUI5ZXdGS2OINDu%JTxXnA.jpg

Sylvesterd101
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260
Coal Size/Type: nut, anthracite

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Mon. Oct. 31, 2022 9:27 am

certainly fits the bill of what you said

Charles Edward
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hot Pot laundry & a Hercules water heater

Post by Charles Edward » Mon. Nov. 21, 2022 8:31 am

How might it have worked Jeff?

The base / ash pit is missing - or maybe it was always a temporary affair?

The grate is solid, I don't see any provision for piping, and with the handles it would seem to be a batch-type water (or other fluid) heater.

Hey; speaking of which - how much heat can be tolerated in a maple syrup boiling-down process? <g> Or for that matter - maybe the intended fuel was wood?

That top-to-grate tube would be to add fuel to the fire I guess. How far is the lower end of the 'feed tube' up from the grate?

What does the soot residue smell like?

It seems pretty elaborate for a milking parlor - but maybe it's for warm bag/teat washing water?

When assembled - how much space is there between the bottom of the fluid container and the grate?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Nov. 21, 2022 9:57 pm

Possibly a chick brooder for baby chicks. 🤔

Jeff@mvdeerxing
Other Heating: wood

Post by Jeff@mvdeerxing » Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 7:04 pm

Charles Edward wrote:
Mon. Nov. 21, 2022 8:31 am
How might it have worked Jeff?

The base / ash pit is missing - or maybe it was always a temporary affair?

The grate is solid, I don't see any provision for piping, and with the handles it would seem to be a batch-type water (or other fluid) heater.

Hey; speaking of which - how much heat can be tolerated in a maple syrup boiling-down process? <g> Or for that matter - maybe the intended fuel was wood?

That top-to-grate tube would be to add fuel to the fire I guess. How far is the lower end of the 'feed tube' up from the grate?

What does the soot residue smell like?

It seems pretty elaborate for a milking parlor - but maybe it's for warm bag/teat washing water?

When assembled - how much space is there between the bottom of the fluid container and the grate?
Hi Charles,

This is a bit out of my wheel house, that is why I posted it here hoping someone in the stove world may have seen something of this kind.

So yes, maybe it was always a temporary affair to heat something for the day or job.??

I am thinking that the fire or heat source would be placed into the basket in my last photo. everything sat into the solid vessel in my first photo, then that would be placed into a holding tank that held what ever was to be heated. ??

As to the maple syrup question, one needs way more heat, like a hot fire full bore.

No smells from the soot residue, as it sat is an old garage with dirt floors for many years.

I know nothing about what would have been in an early milking parlor, lost me.

I am going to guess about 2 - 3" space at the bottom of the grate.

Still lost. It is made nice and solid not made cheep so it must have been for something important.

TY

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”