Fuller & Warren Co. Furnace Troy, NY

Jeff@mvdeerxing
Other Heating: wood

Post by Jeff@mvdeerxing » Thu. Oct. 27, 2022 11:55 am

I am up in NEK of VT and had the pleasure to view this old stove / furnace that is in a building that is falling down around it.
I have not spent much time looking it over as of yet, but plan to do so. Looking at it I am thinking that it is a coal furnace, but looking for more information before I move on it, as I do not want to move it and break something.

I would enjoy to hear your thoughts.

Thank you for your time Jeff

Attachments

zwCh6j3HSe29OFGP4Fqyew.jpg

Fuller & Warren Furnace

.JPG | 568.9KB | zwCh6j3HSe29OFGP4Fqyew.jpg
oqSCf8dwSUeEhCRp9Ee2sw.jpg

Fuller & Warren Furnace

.JPG | 430.3KB | oqSCf8dwSUeEhCRp9Ee2sw.jpg
mE5gfagmS+6+0ECXV%7lAw.jpg

lower door

.JPG | 444.4KB | mE5gfagmS+6+0ECXV%7lAw.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Oct. 27, 2022 12:47 pm

Welcome, Jeff.

Yes, it's the inner part of a basement furnace, sometimes called a "gravity" or "octopus" furnace.

There would have been sheet metal panels surrounding all but the front casting. The furnace and the large donut-shaped plenum on top heated the air inside that surround. Round ducts would lead from the top section of the surround up to rooms above for hot air to move there by natural convection. Often, there was built into the basement floor a cold air return "chase" to funnel the cold air from those upper rooms back to under the surround to be reheated.

My house had one when it was expended from a colonial to a Victorian in 1891. It was taken out some time after WWII and the round ducts connected to an oil-fired furnace. There are times I wish it still did have the old octopus furnace.

Paul

Jeff@mvdeerxing

Post by Jeff@mvdeerxing » Thu. Oct. 27, 2022 1:10 pm

Hello Paul and thank you for the Welcome and information.

I was thinking that it had some type of tin surround due to the cast iron trim around the door face piece just stopping.

A few questions if you do not mind.

The piece of tin on the front of the donut-shaped plenum on top, what was that fore, something missing?

I take it burned coal, if so what type?

Is there a door missing in the center?

Why the 2 doors? Ash on the bottom, fire top door??

Any idea on value as it sits?

Trying to make a decision if it is worth the time and$$

Better stop before I wear my welcome.

Thank you for your time, Jeff

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Oct. 27, 2022 1:58 pm

Jeff,

The removable panel on the front of the plenum is for gaining access for cleaning.

Yes, burns anthracite (hard coal). Usually nut or stove size.

Ash door on the bottom with primary air damper, loading door on top with secondary air damper.

Looks like a cast iron cover (aka clinker door) missing in between them. May be for being able to get a poker in at the top of the grates to break up clinkers ? Can't tell without pictures looking directly into that opening. All I see is the grate shaker handle is laying in that opening. To shake the grates that handle would be installed on the ends of the grate bars in behind that little swing to the left door on the top of the ash pan door.

No idea of price because they are so rarely seen for sale.
Right now, it's not worth much because without that middle cast iron door/cover it won't work until one is found or recast.

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Oct. 27, 2022 2:11 pm

Here's a couple of You Tube videos explaining more about "octopus" type coal furnaces.

Paul

Jeff@mvdeerxing

Post by Jeff@mvdeerxing » Thu. Oct. 27, 2022 7:01 pm

Paul, Thank you for the information.

I had been searching Fuller & Warren Co. Furnace Troy, NY. When I added octopus furnace the flood gates of information opened.

Well that is interesting, a missing door. The place is a mess with a lot of things just thrown around like someone trashed the place? I will have a better look around for the door and get some inside photos.

The other thing is I did not see any coal only small fire wood.

You said something above that is still sticking with me,
"There are times I wish it still did have the old octopus furnace." My question, Why?

Low cost to run, great heat, no computer, no electricity, HAHA!!

"Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater" Any photos to share?

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Fri. Oct. 28, 2022 7:55 am

Watch when you take it apart. The gaskets and stove cements are almost 100% asbestos. Wet them down first.

Jeff@mvdeerxing

Post by Jeff@mvdeerxing » Fri. Oct. 28, 2022 9:16 am

Hi Scottscoaled,

Wow, thank you for that bit of information, never thought about asbestos. Will do that.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Oct. 28, 2022 9:49 am

Jeff@mvdeerxing wrote:
Thu. Oct. 27, 2022 7:01 pm
Paul, Thank you for the information.

I had been searching Fuller & Warren Co. Furnace Troy, NY. When I added octopus furnace the flood gates of information opened.

Well that is interesting, a missing door. The place is a mess with a lot of things just thrown around like someone trashed the place? I will have a better look around for the door and get some inside photos.

The other thing is I did not see any coal only small fire wood.

"There are times I wish it still did have the old octopus furnace." My question, Why?

"Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater" Any photos to share?

The hot water heater was all apart when I bought this place. It was the original "shovel-a-day" hot water heater for the house. I don't use it because I was told not to run it without water in the jacket or it may crack. Since I don't need it for water or heat, I never bothered to reassemble it.

Paul

Jeff@mvdeerxing

Post by Jeff@mvdeerxing » Fri. Oct. 28, 2022 10:40 am

Paul,
Maybe best if I do a new post regarding what I think is part of a hot water heater as I have some photos ready, and would like to learn something about it.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Oct. 28, 2022 11:13 am

Jeff@mvdeerxing wrote:
Fri. Oct. 28, 2022 10:40 am
Paul,
Maybe best if I do a new post regarding what I think is part of a hot water heater as I have some photos ready, and would like to learn something about it.

You answered it. "Low cost to run, great heat, no computer, no electricity, HAHA!!"

I got into coal because the oil furnace quit while I was away and temps were below zero. Had pipes freeze. I had to live here in below zero weather until parts could come from South America.....for an American made furnace. :evil:

It was 20F in my kitchen for several days until I got the furnace fixed. Then a couple of weeks replacing all the old water pipes.

And we only seem to get power outages in the coldest weather. But I don't need power for any of my coal
stoves.

Coal gravity furnace equals constant heat. A non-coal furnace is off/on. Every time it comes on, there is a blast of cold air coming out of the ducts until hot air can warm them and get into the rooms.

Up until this season, coal has been much cheaper than any fuel I can get here, except wood. Did the wood thing in my range and it's too much work, mess, and bugs. Got tired of having to throw wood in it every 3-4 hours. Plus waking up to a cold kitchen and having to restart the stove every morning.

Paul

Jeff@mvdeerxing

Post by Jeff@mvdeerxing » Fri. Oct. 28, 2022 7:14 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. Oct. 28, 2022 11:13 am
You answered it. "Low cost to run, great heat, no computer, no electricity, HAHA!!"

I got into coal because the oil furnace quit while I was away and temps were below zero. Had pipes freeze. I had to live here in below zero weather until parts could come from South America.....for an American made furnace. :evil:

Paul
Funny story, not funny experience for you I am sure. ;) Thank you for sharing it.

My story is not as bad as yours. I built my first home in the early 80s with a nice fireplace in a 2 story cathedral ceiling grand living room, with red brick all the way to the roof. I was forever feeding that fireplace and the heat went to the 2nd floor. So I purchased a new coal stove and stuck it in the fireplace opening, and loved it as long I could keep the X from touching it. The coal stove and the X are long gone.

So IF this octopus furnace comes together and complete with all parts and no cracks, my thoughts are to set it up in my shop / sawmill building just to knock off the chill from -20 temps.

Jeff

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”