Glenwood Gold Medal 180 Kitchen Stove Available Soon - Gas Coal Wood

Doug K
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Gold Medal 180 (for sale)
Other Heating: LPG Zero Clearance, Electric Forced Air

Post by Doug K » Fri. Oct. 21, 2022 4:59 pm

Hello, glad I found a group of coal users, especially with a few in central NY.

In the process of buying a cottage, and it has an old Glenwood Gold Medal 180 that unfortunately has to go. This stove will be available in early December, and is located within 20 minutes of Syracuse.

I know nothing about this stove, but will be trying to disassemble and store it, unless it sells...then the new owner can do it. This is a PICKUP ONLY sale, you buy it, you come get it. Final address given after sale us confirmed.

Look at the pictures, it burns 3 fuels, all fire chambers look good, owners tell me it was used sparingly in this seasonal residence. Looks like all accessories are there, still being used for burning LPG and wood, does not look like it burned coal in a long time.

Reach out if interested, you know what these great old stoves are worth, and how hard it is to find one in this good of shape. It's not restored, it's just a great survivor.
Glenwood Stove2.jpg
.JPG | 532KB | Glenwood Stove2.jpg
Listen...hear that? It's opportunity knocking...
Glenwood Stove 1.jpg
.JPG | 437.8KB | Glenwood Stove 1.jpg

Attachments

Glenwood Stove3.jpg
.JPG | 716.1KB | Glenwood Stove3.jpg
Glenwood Stove4.jpeg
.JPEG | 22.8KB | Glenwood Stove4.jpeg
Glenwood Stove5.jpeg
.JPEG | 83.1KB | Glenwood Stove5.jpeg
Screenshot_20221021_161540_Chrome.jpg
.JPG | 149.9KB | Screenshot_20221021_161540_Chrome.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Oct. 21, 2022 6:33 pm

She's a purty old girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) I'm bettin ya got a price in mind????

Doug K

Post by Doug K » Fri. Oct. 21, 2022 7:43 pm

Hey, you know i've been looking around, seen a few smaller models but not like this. I've been using a VC Resolute from 1979 to heat our 1880 canalside home for years, I want a closer look at the firebox, and see if the coal grates are in good shape. Word is this stove was from an original turn of the century cottage that was torn down, moved into its replacement, and it heats this whole place easily, 1500 sq ft.

Right now I'm leaning towards offers more than $2K, I think it will be something less than $4K...ballpark.

The key is timing, has to happen early December maybe to years end, and it's a seasonal road.
Last edited by Doug K on Sat. Oct. 22, 2022 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Fri. Oct. 21, 2022 8:48 pm

I think you're going to be leaning a long time.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Oct. 21, 2022 9:31 pm

Not to rain on your parade, but 4k is awful sour.

You need to contact Lapan's Antique stoves or The Antique Stove Hospital. Send an email with good pictures,all four sides. Front,Left,Right,Back. Ask for a round about asking price. Make sure you are sitting down, when reading the reply email.

Your looking at $500 or less. Be prepared for wiggle room at 500. Sorry.

Doug K

Post by Doug K » Sat. Oct. 22, 2022 7:30 am

Of course everyone wants a deal, I'm just looking for a fair price based on what I see on the world's largest second-hand market...eBay.

After looking there, using keywords: "Glenwood Stove" (in sold items), it looks like I could sell off a few choice parts of this Gold Medal model and get that $400-500 that you all are claiming this stove is worth...and more. While many here would hate to see it happen, if needed I'll take the stove completely apart and sell it off in pieces on eBay.

Been supplementing my early retirement on eBay for a few years, took apart a 1997 Toyota SUV that was worth $500 at the junkyard and sold it off in pieces for nearly $6000. I'm sure I can take this old stove apart, clean & polish up a few parts and sell it off slowly, if that's what it takes. Retired life means you have the time to do all that, lol.

I'll get more pictures of the stove inside & out in late November, and most likely end up listing it on eBay. See quite a few of these old stoves selling there, some complete and some for parts, all conditions from nice to needy. Just offering it first to a group who would appreciate it most I think, in its current state.

Thank for the replies, more to come....

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Oct. 22, 2022 8:54 am

Sad to say but eBay is not "fair price". If you want to know a "fair price" contact the stove restoration shops that were suggested. They know fair prices. At least three of them are members here.

Seems that eBay sellers look at a similar, fully restored stove on a stove restoration shop's website and charge the same, even though their stove is not of that finish level and covered by a shop warrantee. I've often seen that they picked the same price as what is listed at a certain very high-priced shop in Massachusetts.

I've been watching Glenwood stoves and parts on eBay and the stove restoration shop websites for 16 years. Bought two of my four Glenwood stoves off there. And, for a time, I was thinking of buying a GW Gold Medal after seeing my in-laws working Stewart-equivalent wood/coal/gas range in use. I was offered a Gold Medal at a fair price, but by then I had come to realize that, because the firebox is not much bigger, it wouldn't heat, or cook/bake, any better than the GW range I have. So, I'd be spending a lot of money just to add a gas stove,... which I already have.

Not to insult you but to get your Gold Medal up to the price level you want would take a few thousand dollars of labor, parts(?). The nickel plating alone would be over $1000. And we still haven't seen what the heart of it looks like - the grates and firebox. Nore if the gas side needs work to be safe. And in many areas, a wood/coal and gas stove combo like that is against code. Restoration shops shutoff the gas side or convert it to electric for that very reason.

It'd be a shame to part it out something of historic value, but I understand you want to get the most you can. If you can sell it on eBay and get a price your happy with, you'll be one of few the lucky ones.

Good luck with the sale.

Paul

Doug K

Post by Doug K » Sat. Oct. 22, 2022 9:26 am

Paul,
Thank you for your reply, it helps to get as many facts as possible mixed with a good amount of opinion to come to the best solutions. I hear you on restoration costs, and also the idea that this stove may need more work to restore than what meets the eye. Just an FYI, I was a Professional Engineer in a former life, so have a pretty good eye.

Note, there is no other cooking stove in this cottage kitchen. This unit was used with wood, according to the original owner, in Spring & Autumn, for heat on colder days. The gas section is still used today with LPG supply. For the last 30+ years the stove was never used from Early November thru late April, prior owners were only seasonal. Its all working, in fact I'm using the LPG tap for the replacement.

If we were talking about Antique Cars this one is in the "survivor class" > clean, working, unrestored, all parts there, original. And as Freetown Fred said,"She's a purty old girl", be a shame to strip her down to her bones but it will ship easier in 40-50 pieces.

This cottage has a Heatilator unit fireplace... so this stove has to go. Highest Offer most likely takes it.

I am buying a wonderful brand new 6 burner LPG stove to take its place, with a built in griddle and double oven. That new stove will be a pretty young gal, and my wife won't complain about her at all, taking up so much room in her new kitchen. I hate to make it a corner heater in the garage...but would keep the tractor warm.

Let's revisit this post again in a month, when I can get better pictures of the stove inside. Make offers if you like, I agree with Paul, this stove will get whatever the market allows as is... starting here first to see she gets a good home.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Oct. 22, 2022 10:06 am

I can see the warmer above the oven being worth something alone but to sell it on ebay, even for a good price, and then the cost to ship it.... then it gets damaged in shipping and you have to refund the buyer in full and then its good luck getting fedex or ups to pay you back if it wasnt boxed correctly.

And to box it correctly it has to be way oversize which makes the cost even more. Anyway what Im getting at is the big and or heavy parts you would want to sell locally via facebook or craigslist if you do go that route. Selling them half the price as ebay with cash in hand is better than all the risk and hassle of shipping them. Smaller parts would be simple though. Parts have to come from somewhere. But Im betting other than the warmer the value of the parts may not be very high. I'd sell it in one chunk locally for whatever I could get.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Oct. 22, 2022 4:31 pm

Remember D--askin & gettin usually seem to differ a lot. Good luck.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Sat. Oct. 22, 2022 9:41 pm

Link to similar one all fixed up.

Glenwood Gold Medal

Doug K

Post by Doug K » Sun. Oct. 23, 2022 8:17 am

Hi all,
Wanted to take a moment to thank you all for your opinions and helpful links. And want to address some thoughts I've heard.

First, I've shipped some very large items in my 17 years on eBay, a 1940 Console Radio (floor model) to Texas comes to mind, as well as the front and rear seats from a Toyota 4Runner. Minimal issues with damage in over 2600 shipments,including two old neon beer signs. Worked as a Packaging Engineer in my long career once, packing is about only one thing...prevent movement of the item inside the box during shipment.

Pricing for sales is always what the second hand market will endure at any given moment, and the more rare the item, the older something is, the higher the prices go. Ebay is a good gage of that pricing, but not on the asking price, as Freetown Fred mentioned. So below are selling prices, noted by eBay sale date and that green price the item sold for. Because reality says anyone can ask a ridiculous price for anything but reasonable people with reasonable pricing will get a sale

I understand the stove isn't totally restored, and I'm not looking for the $5000 - $10,000 some of those go for. MntBugy showed a link to one post here where someone stated they may have overpaid at that $10k price. Just a fair price based on this stove, and unlike some, I'm not afraid to take it apart and sell it off in pieces to get enough money for the replacement stove.

Do I want to take apart a perfectly good, working Glenwood Gold Medal Stove, who passed her 100th birthday?

No, of course not. That's why I scoured the internet to find a group like yours, that appreciates what this is, and may want to save it. If not, that's OK, I'll keep looking until I find the right person to take this stove and put it to good use.

These are prices on complete Glenwood stoves & parts for the last 3 months or so on eBay...look at the images below.
Glenwood1.jpg
.JPG | 282KB | Glenwood1.jpg
Glenwood2.jpg
.JPG | 193.2KB | Glenwood2.jpg
Glenwood3.jpg
.JPG | 300.8KB | Glenwood3.jpg

Doug K

Post by Doug K » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 8:50 pm

Finally able to get at this Glenwood Stove and get a good set of pictures.

Still looking for a readonable offer, and this can be picked up after November 22, anytime. It's located near zipcode 13140

I found many parts, handles etc and have tried to show what's here, and what condition this stove is in. Looks complete, gas is turned off, coal grates turn easily, and all damper/flue controls operate as they should.

All Offers Considered...has to go.

Attachments

20221116_195727.jpg
.JPG | 566.3KB | 20221116_195727.jpg
20221116_195749.jpg
.JPG | 411.5KB | 20221116_195749.jpg
20221116_195810.jpg
.JPG | 663.5KB | 20221116_195810.jpg
20221116_195906.jpg
.JPG | 601.9KB | 20221116_195906.jpg
20221116_195917.jpg
.JPG | 486.3KB | 20221116_195917.jpg
20221116_195930.jpg
.JPG | 405.7KB | 20221116_195930.jpg
20221116_195951.jpg
.JPG | 373.6KB | 20221116_195951.jpg
20221116_200115.jpg
.JPG | 345.2KB | 20221116_200115.jpg
20221116_200142.jpg
.JPG | 407.9KB | 20221116_200142.jpg
20221116_200125.jpg
.JPG | 484.9KB | 20221116_200125.jpg

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 8:58 pm

You're going to have to part it out to get anything for it. It needs to be taken apart cleaned and rebuilt anyway.

Doug K

Post by Doug K » Fri. Nov. 18, 2022 9:10 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 8:58 pm
You're going to have to part it out to get anything for it. It needs to be taken apart cleaned and rebuilt anyway.
Way to Many? There is always room for just one more... and I'm not experienced in taking antique stoves apart so I will certainly screw up something to make parts useless... save me please.

I'm looking for a mere $648... that's it. Cost of the "newer" model to replace it, and 110 years newer, which makes the wife happy. And of course some who can come and help me take it apart and load it into their vehicle. Oneida NY is only 60 minutes away from us...

She's a nice old stove, can you give her a good home?

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”