ART GARLAND BASEBURNER

BPatrick
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Post by BPatrick » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 4:47 pm

Greetings,

I've had great luck heating with antique base burners in the past and after moving to a new house; I've decided to add a few antique stoves to this old victorian house. I've decided on an Art Garland Base Burner and a parlor stove for my upstairs bedroom. The type of parlor stove will look a lot like the Sunshine type stoves with the 4 curved doors with mica windows for viewing.
I know the larger the fire pot, the longer the burn time, to a point, as there's other factors, but I'm trying to gauge how long I should expect burn times this type of stove. The sunshine is a larger parlor stove, with a 15" fire pot. I'm shooting for overnite burn times for this parlor stove. It's a well insulated house and I feel running both stoves around 350 will do the job.
If anyone has any insight on burn times on these types of parlor stoves it would be greatly appreciated.
MVC-005F (2).JPG
.JPG | 217.6KB | MVC-005F (2).JPG
thumbnail (1).jpg
.JPG | 25.4KB | thumbnail (1).jpg
Last edited by BPatrick on Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 5:12 pm

PIX B--ya know we need pix!!!! :)

BPatrick

Post by BPatrick » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 5:17 pm

Just added pics to original posts.

BPatrick

Post by BPatrick » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 5:32 pm

The Art Garland pic is before restoration. It's being restored now.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 7:22 pm

Art Garland looks to be 16 inch pot. Should have plenty of power for a polar vortex, no problem. 14 inch pot is almost to much for well insulated 1200-1400 sq ft.. house.. Burn times very depending on stove temp. Biggest trouble is when getting ash bound, temps will start to drop at 10-12 hr mark. Depending on draft number you run heater at.

Sunshine parlor will work good in bedroom. Might need to wear a eye patch. The glow coming thru the mica windows can be seen with eye lids shut. 😆
Make sure it has the refacory half moon firebrick above fire pot and below the breech. Will make a big difference in effectiveness. Most times the half moon brick disintegrates over time and get through out with the ash.

Member Cornelius D. has experience with using his. Maybe he will chime in.??

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 8:01 pm

In a well-insulated house, you may want to rethink having a mica coal stove in the bedroom, unless you like sleeping in a very warm room. Even run slow it's a stove for heating several rooms before the days of "well insulted" houses.

And both stoves should be able to run at least 12 hours, if not more, before needing refueling. Often, the length of time between tendings with stoves like those is when they need to have ashes shaken, well before needing refueling.

Paul

BPatrick

Post by BPatrick » Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 8:39 pm

Thanks for the input guys. The upstairs bedroom is pretty big and I don't mind if I have to crack a few windows. I kinda prefer that as a little fresh air is good. I plan on running them easy as I don't need to push them to heat the house. I have an enclosed wrap around porch with big windows and the stove can heat this room easily as well if I open the living room windows. They empty into the porch. With coal stoves I like a little bit of drafty house as it breathes. I hate the stuffy house feel.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 5:46 am

You made it !! I was begining to wonder.
Good looking stoves, onward to the new adventure
steve

BPatrick

Post by BPatrick » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 7:00 am

Thanks Steve. I'll be happy to show you the stoves when there here!

Pancho
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood No. 8
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Jotul Firelight

Post by Pancho » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 8:19 am

I'll speak for everybody when I say....horrible idea. What you should do is replace the Garland with a Chubby (NOTHING screams Victorian like a Chubby) and offset the costs of the chubby by selling me the Garland (we are both in Michigan so easy transaction).

I hope this helps.

By the way, what a beautiful set of heaters you have. Please post pics when it's installed. :yes:

BPatrick

Post by BPatrick » Thu. Sep. 22, 2022 12:02 am

Hahaha, I'll keep that in mind Pancho!

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Sat. Oct. 01, 2022 9:03 am

BPatrick wrote:
Tue. Sep. 20, 2022 4:47 pm
Greetings,

I've had great luck heating with antique base burners in the past and after moving to a new house; I've decided to add a few antique stoves to this old victorian house. I've decided on an Art Garland Base Burner and a parlor stove for my upstairs bedroom. The type of parlor stove will look a lot like the Sunshine type stoves with the 4 curved doors with mica windows for viewing.
I know the larger the fire pot, the longer the burn time, to a point, as there's other factors, but I'm trying to gauge how long I should expect burn times this type of stove. The sunshine is a larger parlor stove, with a 15" fire pot. I'm shooting for overnite burn times for this parlor stove. It's a well insulated house and I feel running both stoves around 350 will do the job.
If anyone has any insight on burn times on these types of parlor stoves it would be greatly appreciated.
MVC-005F (2).JPGthumbnail (1).jpg
I was going to chime in but franklinly i forgot to...
I have a very similar Penn Franklin that i have burned for a few years now. I have a drafty 1870s home with 10 foot ceilings and I can crank it up real hot if I need to and it will heat half the house pretty easily. As far as burn times the longest ive had an unattended fire was 34 hrs and I had just enough glowing coal in there to keep it from dying out. Mine likes to burn through the center if i shake it down and dont floss a bit on the edge of the fire pot. I tried pea coal out of necessity once but it went horribly, it will take stove size just fine but nut is just perfect for it. The longest ive had a continues fire was i think 2 months. I wanted to see if I could keep it lit the whole season without it going out but no luck, visiting at christmas ruined the fall burn streak. A normal burn time is probably going to be a top off after 12hrs or so. If you have any more specific questions you can ask here or DM me.

Cornelius

Attachments

Screenshot_20221001_085658.jpg
.JPG | 482.5KB | Screenshot_20221001_085658.jpg

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”