Tropic Crawford

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sat. Aug. 06, 2022 12:48 pm

Anyone have a Tropic Crawford? What can you tell me about them? I'm heating my place with a Coal Chubby now, wondering if this would be comparable or better with the back pipe and all.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Aug. 06, 2022 2:12 pm

A, check out search bar--top right for Tropic Crawford.

ASea
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120

Post by ASea » Sat. Aug. 06, 2022 3:14 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sat. Aug. 06, 2022 2:12 pm
A, check out search bar--top right for Tropic Crawford.
Yeah, I didn't see what I was looking for there. Thanks Fred.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Aug. 08, 2022 8:00 am

If it has a back pipe, you can figure on it extracting and radiating more heat in relation to the pipe's surface area, plus extracting a bit more heat overall because the resistance to exhaust flow will allow for slower exhaust flow, thus allowing a bit more time for the stove and pipes to extract even more heat before it reaches the chimney. That is why back pipes were not only a common option on many Oak stoves, they were built into many other brands of Oaks. And it's why, along with that the same idea, base heaters have long internal flues.

So, even if your Chubby is the same size body as Oak with a back pipe, the Oak will provide more heat indoors simple because it can extract more heat.

Comparing the stove body temps to the pipe temps will show that. Very few direct draft stoves can pull out as much heat to allow you to put your hand on the stove pipe near the thimble like a back pipe Oak or a base heater (or kitchen range) will.

Paul

ASea

Post by ASea » Mon. Aug. 08, 2022 10:59 am

Thanks Paul, having a smaller fire pot makes me nervous. I do like the idea of increased radiation allowing me to not have to crank the stove up and beat it up. Especially an antique. I believe the Chubby has a 16" fIre pot. Holds around 30 lbs of coal. Not sure how that compares to an Oak Stove. Gonna look at a Glenwood 114 with backpipe. I think that would be a good choice as I like to burn some wood from time to time in the spring and fall.
Last edited by ASea on Mon. Aug. 08, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Mon. Aug. 08, 2022 1:03 pm

I get about 4/1 on stove/flue temps with my C40 in bb mode.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Aug. 08, 2022 4:33 pm

ASea wrote:
Mon. Aug. 08, 2022 10:59 am
Thanks Paul, having a smaller fire pot makes me nervous. I do like the idea of increased radiation allowing me to not have to crank the stove up and beat it up. Especially an antique. I believe the Chubby has a 16" fIre pot. Holds around 30 lbs of coal. Not sure how that compares to an Oak Stove. Gonna look at a Glenwood 114 with backpipe. I think that would be a good choice as I like to burn some wood from time to time in the spring and fall.
Are you sure about Chubby 16 inch pot and 30 pounds ? Is that a shallow firebed ???? Reason I ask is that my GW #6 is a 16 inch pot, and its actually about 14-1/2 inch with the firebrick liner, plus it is tapering to about 12, and 10 inches deep. Plus, with the 3/4 inch thick brick liner it still holds a measured 50 pounds of nut coal.

The GW 114 is a 14 inch tapered pot and the GW116 is basically the same size pot as the GW #6 base heater - and with a back pipe, the 116 is almost the equal of a GW #6 base heater for heat output.

BTW, Wilson is the man to go to for GW back pipe stoves ( and GW#6). He has recast parts for them and he has modified the back pipe casting patterns to improve even more on what GW made. :yes:

As for a GW 114,..... FrancoB can tell you more about the GW 114 as I think he is the only one on here that has owned and run a 114.

Paul

ASea

Post by ASea » Tue. Aug. 09, 2022 12:10 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Aug. 08, 2022 4:33 pm
Are you sure about Chubby 16 inch pot and 30 pounds ? Is that a shallow firebed ???? Reason I ask is that my GW #6 is a 16 inch pot, and its actually about 14-1/2 inch with the firebrick liner, plus it is tapering to about 12, and 10 inches deep. Plus, with the 3/4 inch thick brick liner it still holds a measured 50 pounds of nut coal.

Paul
I take it all back. The Chubby holds 30lbs of coal banked up. The firepot diameter is roughly 13.5 inches. Not sure where I pulled 16" out of. That makes me feel better about the Glenwood114 which will have roughly the same depending on the liner, headed to look at it today.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Aug. 09, 2022 12:14 pm

Why not just add a back pipe to your Estate 30 ? You can make one out of stove pipe, a pipe tee, sheet metal, and a pipe damper.

Paul

ASea

Post by ASea » Tue. Aug. 09, 2022 12:50 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Aug. 09, 2022 12:14 pm
Why not just add a back pipe to your Estate 30 ? You can make one out of stove pipe, a pipe tee, sheet metal, and a pipe damper.

Paul

The 120? That thing would heat us all the way out of the house! LOL!

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. Aug. 09, 2022 2:19 pm

That GW 114 most likely has a cracked fire pot. They always crack in the front. Above the ash and shaker door. In the arched part of pot.

Not many antiques you can bring home and throw a fire in, right away .

Save your stove and resto $$, for the boiler.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Aug. 09, 2022 4:51 pm

ASea wrote:
Tue. Aug. 09, 2022 12:50 pm
The 120? That thing would heat us all the way out of the house! LOL!

The GW 30 - isn't that a small-ish parlor stove ?

Paul

ASea

Post by ASea » Tue. Aug. 09, 2022 5:48 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Aug. 09, 2022 4:51 pm
The GW 30 - isn't that a small-ish parlor stove ?

Paul

Ok, yes I have a Glenwood 30 without backpipe. Those truly are the most beautiful Oak Stoves in my opinion. She's in rough shape but all there. It wont work as I need to vent out my fireplace 28" top of the stove pipe. The Estate 120 is a Warm Morning rebranded for Sears or Montgomery Ward I imagine. That thing is a brute! The intention was to run that in the basement but I got the Keystoker instead. I'm probably gonna bring that Glenwood up to Dana Lapan or Stove Hospital. I see these things on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and I buy them because I'm a fool. I just picked up a Glenwood 114 with a backpipe. In beautiful shape save for the grates. Hopefully it's salvageable. I'll put that in place of the Chubby if it is. If not all the nickel is there. I found a nice Glenwood Base Burner, an Our Glenwood 111 or 113. William Sherrick, God rest his soul. Ended up buying it from me. Not sure who has it now. I believe one of the members on the forum. Anyway I'll be starting a seperate thread on the Glenwood Modern Oak 114.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Tue. Aug. 09, 2022 6:28 pm

As of July 1st Dana is taking gold, silver,guns and ammo and a few trade ins as payment toward restoration. Most stove shops are sitting on finished stoves, customers can't get funds together for pickup.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Aug. 09, 2022 6:49 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Tue. Aug. 09, 2022 6:28 pm
As of July 1st Dana is taking gold, silver,guns and ammo and a few trade ins as payment toward restoration. Most stove shops are sitting on finished stoves, customers can't get funds together for pickup.
For real?

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”