Goodbye old stove, what's next?

MyOldVictorian
Baseburners & Antiques: Fosters Standard 114

Post by MyOldVictorian » Thu. Jul. 21, 2022 11:35 am

Hi all. Been so long the name of the site changed and I don't have my original login credentials handy. So, new account.

Here is my Fosters Standard 114. Faithful, reliable and loyal friend for 20 years. This stove runs 24/7 from late October through late March. Well the grates are totally gone as this burner probably heated more this century than it did last century.
DSCN0092.jpg
.JPG | 348.2KB | DSCN0092.jpg
The bad news is that this stove suffered greatly in it's past. Someone with a stick welder welded everything he could, so the sheet metal body is completely welded to the cast iron upper and lower rings. He told me the stove smoked and I guess he didn't realize that the problem wasn't the stove but his chimney, and maybe his brain? I know, that was mean.

I did learn a lot about burning coal from this stove and it owes the world nothing. I can't imagine a restoration shop would touch it as I think the cylinder would need to be cut out and careful work with a grinder and maybe some small carbide bits used to grind back to the cast iron. Maybe when the house is further along I'll attempt surgery.

If you want to check out the damage, this link to my cloud storage should bring you to a folder and you can see for yourself. https://nextcloud.toomanyhobbies.co/index.php/s/g ... SSfB6LQNn

So, I need a new stove. I'll post some of my options in a separate post. Thanks for reading and it's good to be back on the forum.

MyOldVictorian

Post by MyOldVictorian » Thu. Jul. 21, 2022 11:59 am

What's next? Not sure. I have in my treasure chest, or junk pile as my wife calls all of my old things, two stoves I'd like to use in the house. First is this Oak Andes that didn't suffer at the hands of a welder, but rather a painter. Paint comes off, so no harm done. In fact the paint probably saved this little stove. The grates look wonderful and I think it's a pretty strait forward job to get her in working order. As you can see however I'm missing some parts. First the urn / finial is wrong. I can live with that while the search ensues, but also missing are the lower nickle rail that hangs on the lower ring of the cylinder. The stove came with a set, but they don't look right, and they don't mount well. They were hung on the stove with a few scraps of metal and fall off easily.
DSCN0114.jpg
.JPG | 590.1KB | DSCN0114.jpg
Screenshot_15.png
.PNG | 910KB | Screenshot_15.png
Suggestions on sourcing parts are greatly appreciated!!!

If you want to see more pictures, here is a link to a folder in my cloud storage. https://nextcloud.toomanyhobbies.co/index.php/s/Y ... YNJKHpFmZr

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Thu. Jul. 21, 2022 12:01 pm

MyOldVictorian

Post by MyOldVictorian » Thu. Jul. 21, 2022 12:12 pm

Then there is the venerable Glenwood Base Heater No. 6. It is "all there" except for the urn / finial. It has one, but it's nor correct. The stove as coming apart as they do when rust starts breaking things, so back in the day, I took it entirely apart. Photos, notes and labeled envelopes are sitting next to the pile so I think she can be saved. A few castings that have tabs with screw holes had those tabs snap off, but I have the pieces (I hope). The real issue is the large casting that tends to warp in these stoves. Mine is warped, cracked and junk. I sourced another one years ago but it looks like it was salvaged from the Titanic as rust has thinned it out. It has a dubious repair as well. I'll start making calls and see if I can find a shop to restore this stove.
DSCN0128.jpg
.JPG | 512.4KB | DSCN0128.jpg
DSCN0133.jpg
.JPG | 459.4KB | DSCN0133.jpg
DSCN0140.jpg
.JPG | 477.3KB | DSCN0140.jpg
More pictures in my cloud at: https://nextcloud.toomanyhobbies.co/index.php/s/p ... YqHfabqfNP

My house will need two stoves. I had one chimney set aside for my Vermont Castings Vigilant wood stove, which has also been part of our heating plan for a few years, but it really looks out of place in a Victorian. That plus the fact that I really like both the Oak Andes and the Glenwood have me leaning towards two coal stoves.

Regarding wood, has anyone used a base burner to burn wood? The Glenwood says right on it that it's a coal or wood stove, but I can't imagine it being very good at burning wood.

MyOldVictorian

Post by MyOldVictorian » Thu. Jul. 21, 2022 12:42 pm

tsb wrote:
Thu. Jul. 21, 2022 12:01 pm
Glenwood base heater no.8 for sale
You little match maker. Thank you. I've sent a PM to the seller. The No. 8 may be a bit big for my little room, but I think I can make it work by convincing my wife that we need a smaller sofa. Wish me luck!!!!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jul. 21, 2022 1:50 pm

Get in touch with member Wilson - screen name "wilsonswoodstoves". Wilson Mull 508-763-8941. He has restored a lot of GW #6 (and #8) and has patterns and parts, including new grates and firebrick linings.

He made an all-steel welded base chamber for the #6 I bought from him a few years ago. I don't baby the stove and that base chamber has been bullet proof.

Yes, you can burn wood in a #6. You should get a wood plate that the stove came with. But even with that you won't get near as long burns as with coal. And cleaning that base chamber and the upside of the back flue of creosote won't be easy.

Paul

MyOldVictorian

Post by MyOldVictorian » Thu. Jul. 21, 2022 3:09 pm

Thanks Paul. Funny thing, I called and my phone showed that I had that number in my contacts as Skip M..... Must have called him many years ago. Thank you for the information. I left a message and hopefully he will get back to me soon.

MyOldVictorian

Post by MyOldVictorian » Mon. Jul. 25, 2022 10:41 am

Well after a few days, I went and ordered a no. 6 from the Antique Stove Hospital. The no. 8 for sale here might be a bit big for the room I'm using the stove for. I just had my chimney guy here because as it is I have to move the connection down a few feet so that I can go directly out of the back of the stove and eliminate the two 90 degree fittings. The wall is non combustible and I will build a second non combustible 1" air gap wall so the stove can go pretty close to the wall.

Question. Since this is a base heater, what should I put the stove on top of. My Foster's Standard didn't get the floor warm, but I'd imagine it will be an issue with this stove. My thought is an 18 ga. piece of sheet metal 18" out, but then maybe some sort of hearth directly under the stove? Or is the steel alone enough?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jul. 25, 2022 2:57 pm

MyOldVictorian wrote:
Mon. Jul. 25, 2022 10:41 am
Well after a few days, I went and ordered a no. 6 from the Antique Stove Hospital. The no. 8 for sale here might be a bit big for the room I'm using the stove for. I just had my chimney guy here because as it is I have to move the connection down a few feet so that I can go directly out of the back of the stove and eliminate the two 90 degree fittings. The wall is non combustible and I will build a second non combustible 1" air gap wall so the stove can go pretty close to the wall.

Question. Since this is a base heater, what should I put the stove on top of. My Foster's Standard didn't get the floor warm, but I'd imagine it will be an issue with this stove. My thought is an 18 ga. piece of sheet metal 18" out, but then maybe some sort of hearth directly under the stove? Or is the steel alone enough?
When I bought my #6 from Wilson he had it set up with a sheet of aluminum on 2x4 spacers under it because he was concerned about the wood floor boards what with the underside getting so hot burning wood. I have it on a wood floor with just one of the 3x4 foot sheet metal and insulation sandwiched "stove boards" from Lowes. I don't burn wood in it so the underside doesn't get as hot as with wood. My IR gun shows the board under the stove never gets more than the low to mid 100F range even when I run the stove hard.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-Black-Stove-Board/3818607

Paul

tsb

Post by tsb » Mon. Jul. 25, 2022 4:06 pm

IMG_9042.JPG
.JPG | 341KB | IMG_9042.JPG

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Mon. Jul. 25, 2022 6:27 pm

tsb, the side nickel skirts are in the wrong spots!! It looks like the left side skirt should go on the right because of the curve in the front. That curve should be on the back side by the rear pipe.

tsb

Post by tsb » Mon. Jul. 25, 2022 6:31 pm

Yes, old picture. Fixed years ago.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Jul. 25, 2022 8:35 pm

tsb wrote:
Mon. Jul. 25, 2022 4:06 pm
IMG_9042.JPG
That's beautiful. I'm jealous.

MyOldVictorian

Post by MyOldVictorian » Mon. Jul. 25, 2022 10:02 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Jul. 25, 2022 2:57 pm
When I bought my #6 from Wilson ....
That is really good information. I had no idea they had something like that at Lowes. Question, does the stove crush it at all? I'm wondering how well the inner foam core stands up to the weight.

I spoke to Wilson and he has a stove ready to go. He was really helpful and I feel bad not buying his, but I went with the Stove Hospital because those guys helped me out over the phone a lot over the years when I got my first stove locally. I didn't even buy one from them and they helped me. Maybe that's silly, but I felt I should buy from them.

John

MyOldVictorian

Post by MyOldVictorian » Mon. Jul. 25, 2022 10:07 pm

tsb wrote:
Mon. Jul. 25, 2022 4:06 pm
IMG_9042.JPG
Nice! Is it sitting on slate or something?

Also, a favor to ask. Your stove is set up the way mine would be if I don't change my chimney configuration. Had a guy come in and got an estimate to open up the chimney and extend the liner down. Not cheap! Can you tell me how far the front of your stove is from the wall? I figure the two 90's will add 18 inches or so. I have a non combustible wall, so I can get the stove close to the wall if I go strait out and into the chimney.

Thanks,
John

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”