Kalamazoo colonial wood / coal stove

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 7:35 pm

Take your time P--do it once & do it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Polish58 wrote:
Sat. Jun. 18, 2022 4:40 pm
Well here’s more photos - got it 90% broke down. As I suspected the fire pot above the grates is two distinct separate casts. I think this was done this way for ease of shipping way back in the day. The stove is assembled in a spiral fashion if you will, as one piece ties into the next and so from bottom to top. It’s not cast iron but rather cast steel that I’m sure has brittles over time but I do intend to weld it into one piece as well as a couple other small cracks in the ash pan but other than that it’s in amazing shape for its age- grates move freely and are 100% there - nothing’s anywhere near burnt out. Now it’s a bit more prep and get ready to put the old girl back together

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jun. 19, 2022 6:09 am

FYI. Those are known as "Dockash" type grates. Not just for shaking ash, they can be rotated so they can grind up chinkers before the clinkers get too big and tough to break up easily.

Plus, those grates need to be rotated 180 degrees every day or they will warp from always being heated on one side.

Paul

Polish58
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kalamazoo
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Hand fed hot air

Post by Polish58 » Sun. Jun. 19, 2022 6:57 am

Thanks for the info!👍

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”