My first winter burning coal Glenwood #116

Southern Coal Burner
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak #116
Coal Size/Type: Stove Size/Lehigh Anthracite

Post by Southern Coal Burner » Thu. Feb. 24, 2022 1:20 pm

This is my first time on any forum. I found so much great and helpful information on this site that I thought I would share some of my experiences and lessons learned.
I'm in the Southeastern part of Virginia. I know most of you readers live in far colder climates, but we still have nighttime lose in the 20's and many days with highs only in the 30's. But I'm getting older and just don't much care for being cold.
So first a little about the stove. Through a little research and with the help of this forum I opted for a Glenwood Modern Oak #116. I had one of the stove shops in New England get one ready for me and did a quick road trip to pick it up.
The good. I thought the price was fair considering the new parts that went into the stove and the cost of nickel plating. The bad. Neither of the doors fit well and the cement on the joints is less than impressive. The load door fit so poorly that it would not even make the latch and of course the bottom door had severe air leakage. But it didn't take me long to solve those problems. I guess I just expected more from a shop that specializes in old stoves.
I saw a few suggestions on this forum for sealing the air gaps around the door. And of course, the dollar bill test. Well, my door couldn't have passed a cardboard test. I didn't want to take the time to clamp the door on the mill and machine it flat, so I used some BBQ smoker grill gasket tape. Worked like a champ, has held up all winter and was cheap quick and easy. Seals tight and I have complete air control and can regulate the stove to any desired temperature. The load door was a bigger problem. No amount of bending hinge pins was going to fix this. I ended up boring out the hinge bosses and inserting offset bushings. I'll attach photos. Now it latches as it should.
The stove cement used is white in color. So, on a black stove the joint all look less than pretty. I attached the back chimney pipe with black cement. Duh!

Coal supply is a problem in my area. There is none. So, I took a road trip to Tamaqua, PA. I can't say enough nice things about the folks at Lehigh Coal. I called ahead and had them bag up 3 tons for me in one-ton sacks. Jeff the bagging Forman who I spoke with on the phone saw me loading up and stopped to say hello and hook me up with all the Lehigh swag. Got me a hat and koozie.

To sum it up, I love the warmth of this old coal stove and the 12 plus hours of burn time. And the wife loves the living room temp of 74.

Attachments

image8.jpeg

Bushing installed

.JPEG | 12.7KB | image8.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Bushing assortment

.JPEG | 19.9KB | image0.jpeg
image5.jpeg
.JPEG | 9.1KB | image5.jpeg
image4.jpeg
.JPEG | 15.8KB | image4.jpeg
image7.jpeg
.JPEG | 17.1KB | image7.jpeg

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Feb. 24, 2022 4:12 pm

Welcome!!! 😀

So glad that you joined up and shared your expertise on stove body/door fitment. First class solutions!!
Kind of a shame that a restoration shop would let it out the door in that condition.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Feb. 24, 2022 7:43 pm

Welcome SCB.

Very nice 116 - a good heater. Especially with the optional back pipe. :yes:

Paul

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Thu. Feb. 24, 2022 10:39 pm

Nice stove. Works well on coal or wood.

Some of the stove shops in "New England" are members here.

PJT
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane

Post by PJT » Fri. Feb. 25, 2022 4:03 pm

Great job on the stove. I envy your machining talents.

How large an area are you heating?

Nice floor model in the background. Zenith robot dial?

Southern Coal Burner
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak #116
Coal Size/Type: Stove Size/Lehigh Anthracite

Post by Southern Coal Burner » Sat. Feb. 26, 2022 6:38 pm

I'm heating 2,500 sf. The house was built in 1925 and has all the original windows. So, it's not real energy efficient. I've only been in the house a couple of years and when I purchased it there was electric baseboard for heat, and window unit air conditioners. Last year I installed HVAC with electric emergency heat. The Glenwood's job is to supplement the heat pump. This house was built without any fireplace, but a stove pipe thimble in every room. I'm searching for some period correct floor vents and ceiling grates to let the heat better rise to the second floor.
The old radio is a 1935,14 tube Silvertone. Sold my robot dial a few years ago when I moved. My prize radio is an old Philco Radio Bar.

Paned
Baseburners & Antiques: Florence 153, 151; Imperial Acorn, Alert Acorn, Acme Carbon, Favorite 261, Favorite 416, Estate Square Oak

Post by Paned » Sun. Feb. 27, 2022 8:31 am

Nice job. Beautiful stove.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”