Burning wood in Glenwood #6

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Sat. Jan. 22, 2022 1:46 pm

When I had the 8 in my house I ran some wood though it in the spring when I ran out of coal, best I could get was 6 hours of heat making fire, there's a auto shop down the street that has a 6 in the waiting room and that stove has never seen a single nugget of coal he bought it from the original owners it's un restored but has had a healthy coat of rattle can black and silver added which makes me cringe, however it is in amazing condition, base pan is perfect as is the barrel and spark guard and the base chamber isn't all gummed up but its only because he burns 4 year old wood cut at 11", he was getting 3 hour burn times and I swapped him a wood plate for it and now he says he's averaging 6 hours.
I'm confident all manufacturers inflated their burn times for sales as they all claimed to use less fuel with more heat than the competition but when you look at the stoves they are nearly identical in design.
Burning wood in an oak stove is more work than it's worth, I do in my ship only because my father sells firewood and I get the small butt ends and shorts for free so I don't mind starting a fire everyday, if I had tk pay for it I would spend that money on coal and be done with wood

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 7:37 pm

When I was burning wood in mine, I could keep a fire overnight although you really had to fill it up with wood and you damper it down. Made for easy revival in the morning but the house would be chilly. I was living in real cold country, you know, like 30 40 below 0 stuff...

dj

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”