Glenwood Gold Medal

Gcastello
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glen wood Gold Medal

Post by Gcastello » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 12:17 pm

Hi. Love this site. So much experience.

New to coal burning. I remember my dad working the coal furnace when I was a kid. I recently acquired a refurbished Glenwood Gold Medal cook stove with a small firebox for wood/coal on left and gas burners on right.

I’m grid tied but planning for . . . the worst. I have a radiant floor heat propane boiler which is great. Keeps the 2500 sq ft log house cozy. But propane is 3.50/Gal. And in an emergency, I may not be able to get delivery. I have 70 acres of forest so plenty of wood if I wanted to cut, chop, and cure all year. But available in an emergency.

I’ve been testing anthracite nut coal from tractor supply with some success. Lost the fire a couple of times. Small fire box needs attention 3-4 times a day versus twice like most larger systems. I also got a floss poker to clean out ash which seems to help. Last time, I’ve been able to keep the fire. Although, not easy to floss: I’m on the floor on my back looking into the ash bin and working as best as I can. This will get old as I get older.

Couple of questions from the great brain trust on this site.

1. The grates are 2 rotary triangles. Do I need to completely turn the grates to clean clinkers and ash? I’m afraid I’ll lose all the hot coals if I do.

2. Looking for advice on bit vs anthracite. I live about an hour from the WV mines and could get 2 tons of bit in my dump trailer. From what I’ve read from other comments, I could use bit albeit smoky and less efficient.

3. If anyone has experience with this model, I’d love to talk to learn more about operating. There are two vents on the side of the fire box - large vents below grate and a smaller set above the coals. And there is a vent behind the gas burners which I think is way to add room air directly to flue to slow air pull through the firebox.

Please help this newbie.

Attachments

55EC3DED-D479-4697-A440-56D754BE4117.jpeg
.JPEG | 1MB | 55EC3DED-D479-4697-A440-56D754BE4117.jpeg

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 12:25 pm

If sunnyboy doesn't chime in pm him. He's the resident kitchen stove knowledge master. Find the cooking with coal thread and go to town.

Gcastello

Post by Gcastello » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 1:27 pm

Thank you. I’ll check it out.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 3:45 pm

Gcastello wrote:
Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 12:17 pm
Hi. Love this site. So much experience.

New to coal burning. I remember my dad working the coal furnace when I was a kid. I recently acquired a refurbished Glenwood Gold Medal cook stove with a small firebox for wood/coal on left and gas burners on right.

I’m grid tied but planning for . . . the worst. I have a radiant floor heat propane boiler which is great. Keeps the 2500 sq ft log house cozy. But propane is 3.50/Gal. And in an emergency, I may not be able to get delivery. I have 70 acres of forest so plenty of wood if I wanted to cut, chop, and cure all year. But available in an emergency.

I’ve been testing anthracite nut coal from tractor supply with some success. Lost the fire a couple of times. Small fire box needs attention 3-4 times a day versus twice like most larger systems. I also got a floss poker to clean out ash which seems to help. Last time, I’ve been able to keep the fire. Although, not easy to floss: I’m on the floor on my back looking into the ash bin and working as best as I can. This will get old as I get older.

Couple of questions from the great brain trust on this site.

Welcome. Congrats - the Gold Medals were one of Glenwoods top kitchen ranges.

1. The grates are 2 rotary triangles. Do I need to completely turn the grates to clean clinkers and ash? I’m afraid I’ll lose all the hot coals if I do.

Nope, no need to turn then a full rotation. That just wastes coal. Just turn the grates 1/3 (120 degrees) clockwise EVERY morning. Then shake them until you see a glow and a few burning embers drop into the ash pan. Some Glenwoods have a stop pin next to the grate stub and the shaker handle has a "spur" that contacts that pin to stop the handle rotation to align the grates with their flat sides up. This is covered with pictures in the "Cookin With Coal" thread.

Cookin' With Coal

If your stove has the stop pin but you don't have an original Glenwood range shaker handle with the spur let me know, I have extras to sell.

2. Looking for advice on bit vs anthracite. I live about an hour from the WV mines and could get 2 tons of bit in my dump trailer. From what I’ve read from other comments, I could use bit albeit smoky and less efficient.
Without a stove setup to burn Bit coal correctly - such as the "hot blast" models - it'll be a stinky mess to clean out the stove flues and stove pipe. Then you might as well go with wood.

3. If anyone has experience with this model, I’d love to talk to learn more about operating. There are two vents on the side of the fire box - large vents below grate and a smaller set above the coals. And there is a vent behind the gas burners which I think is way to add room air directly to flue to slow air pull through the firebox.

Again, this is all covered in the Cookin' With Coal thread, with lots of pictures. Paul

Please help this newbie.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 4:04 pm

A very pretty enameled range. Most Gold Medals that I've seen were just all black or gray.

Do you plan to hookup the gas side, also ? If so, make sure there are no leaks,... including the gas valves. If they leak it could cause a fire problem when using coal/wood.

Paul

Gcastello

Post by Gcastello » Sun. Jan. 09, 2022 6:44 pm

In my minds eye when I designed the kitchen, I had traditional black in mind. All other appliances are SS black as well as other accents in the house. Ironically, long before we ever saw this, we painted the interior walls a muted pale green. My wife pointed out that it’s the same color as the stove. So now I say I planned it that way. Lol.

Yes the gas side is active. I have a gas well on the property. The stove rebuilder had to ensure compliance with gas regs to include electric safety valves for the broiler and range on top. I love it. The breakfasts on the coal side are wonderful from the even heat.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 9:31 am

The "vent behind the gas burners" is likely a "check damper". The term "check" as in used to control something. Yes, it is used to slow the firebed by cooling the exhaust stream, thus lowering the draft strength, such as when burning very dry wood.

When you get further along in the Cookin' With Coal thread, you'll come to the part about my Brother-in-law's Stewart wood/coal/gas range. It's basically the same as the Gold Medal. Cooktop burners on the left and a big oven below heated by the firebox. Gas burners on the right cooktop and gas oven and broiler up above.

About the dampers on the side of the firebox. The lower one is the primary damper - used for coal because coal needs air supplied under the firebed (coal burned from the bottom up, wood from the top down). The upper damper is the secondary damper - used for wood and soft coal to help burn off the gases in the exhaust.

Like with other ranges, you most likely will not need to use the upper damper with coal. The cooktop plates above the firebed leak enough air to burn off the volatiles in the exhaust. However, wood and soft coal have far more "stuff" in the exhaust that needs to be burned off - therefore additional overfire-air is needed to help reduce combustion byproduct buildup in the flues and stove pipe.

Here's some Glenwood info about the Gold medal.

https://digital.hagley.org/TCW427_7222011#page/1/mode/2up

Paul

Gcastello

Post by Gcastello » Mon. Jan. 10, 2022 4:08 pm

👍. Thanks Paul.

I read through about 10 pages last night. At that pace, I’ll be caught up in February. Lol. There’s a lot of good nuggets in there.

This stove is performing exactly as I hoped. With the open concept first floor and a large opening in the center of the floor plan to allow heat to flow up to second floor, it is cozy warm in here.

As for cooking, we have a fancy backup oven combo that hasn’t worked properly since I installed in Aug 2020. So I cook on the stove for everything. I cheat with the gas, but with the coal running on day 4, we’ve transitioned to the left side. I have a large cast iron flat griddle. Love the even heat from a cook stove. French toast this AM.

We have an old decrepit Home Comfort stove in the old farm house on the property where we lived while I finished the Log house. We used that extensively as well. My favorites are the oven made biscuits and sausage gravy and a Cornish game hen my wife roasted. So moist and tasty. Especially with all the leaks for wood smoke flavor.

KateD

Post by KateD » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 1:00 pm

Can you indicate how much you paid. I have one that I would like to sell. Black not green working in good shape? thanks [img]

KateD

Post by KateD » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 1:00 pm

Gcastello

Post by Gcastello » Wed. Sep. 28, 2022 10:54 am

That is a beautiful stove. My unit was completely refurbished last year. I may have overpaid, but it was over $10,000. I’m not sure what the market is for yours.

Gcastello

Post by Gcastello » Sun. Jan. 28, 2024 12:21 pm

Sunny Boy and Paul, thanks for the help. its been a while for me. Stove runs great. I drove to PA and grabbed 2.5 t of Anth. With access to propane for radiant heat and warm floors, I only fire up the stove on the coldest days. The way I burn now it will last years. With a box fan to move the air away from the stove, it heats the entire house to a cozy 75.

Thanks again for the advice.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”