Glenwood #6 Base heater too tall for flue attachment

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 6:57 pm

Cosmo welcome to the forum. As the guys said don’t cut your stove. Finish your hearth pad. Even six inches your not going to notice after a few days. Get some bricks to set your stove on for the front legs to see where it works for you then head to a local brick yard. A few bags of mortar mix and some cut cobble stones or whatever catches your eye being you have a stone fireplace and do a standing row or two around your hearth like mine problem solved. Real nice setup you have!

Paned
Baseburners & Antiques: Florence 153, 151; Imperial Acorn, Alert Acorn, Acme Carbon, Favorite 261, Favorite 416, Estate Square Oak

Post by Paned » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 7:03 pm

I agree I would not cut the legs. It needs the airspace under the ash pan and floor to cool the exhaust. Maybe rotate the stove 20 or 30 degrees to get the pipe away from wall. Not ideal but may get you enough to get it running. Any sheetmetal shop can build you an adapter the get the pipe low enough. Best of luck. Stove looks great.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 7:24 pm

Toddburn wrote:
Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 6:57 pm
E925A3A1-332A-4DEA-869A-B72F29B4258C.jpeg
What a beautiful hearth.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 11:22 pm

If it were my home, or a customers. I would remove the extention you just poured.

Then I would remove the stones from the center of the original hearth to the width of your fireplace opening.

If you don't have a rotary hammer drill with a chisel tip, you can rent one.

Break out the mortar down to your finished floor, and lay down either a tile, slate, or thin stone floor level hearth pad.

You can mortar up the sides of the cut or use the same material you use on the floor on the cut sides.

Paulie

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 11:40 pm

The stone on your fireplace appears to be Georgia Pine Log. If you let us know approximately where you are located there may be a member close that can give you a hand.

I look at it as a 1 day project with little or no dust.

Paulie

PS: I just picked up a ton of Pine Log to do a hearth extention.

Attachments

Screenshot_20211228-233210_Gallery.jpg
.JPG | 253.8KB | Screenshot_20211228-233210_Gallery.jpg

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Dec. 29, 2021 9:06 am

And it’s Pauliewog with a brilliant solution that will get the stove lower , and, give the proper amount of floor coverage in front of the stove.
Nice Paulie, Happy New Year

Cosmocoalnut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Large

Post by Cosmocoalnut » Wed. Dec. 29, 2021 11:13 am

All, great ideas! Thank you! I had thought about extending the pad further out with more stone but I like the idea of lowering the pad down. But, I am tired of doing more work to this thing. I definitely won't cut the legs as it was a desperate attempt to just get it to connect.
Since about half of the flue pipe is above the fireplace top (lintel?) I was wondering if I could put a plenum in? It would be a straight shot to the flue. I also have a fireproof mat to go in front, for the coal embers, even though I've never had an issue with coal popping out.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Thu. Dec. 30, 2021 5:36 am

joeq wrote:
Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 7:24 pm
What a beautiful hearth.
Thanks Joe!

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Dec. 30, 2021 8:20 am

Pauliewog wrote:
Tue. Dec. 28, 2021 11:22 pm
If it were my home, or a customers. I would remove the extention you just poured.

Then I would remove the stones from the center of the original hearth to the width of your fireplace opening.

If you don't have a rotary hammer drill with a chisel tip, you can rent one.

Break out the mortar down to your finished floor, and lay down either a tile, slate, or thin stone floor level hearth pad.

You can mortar up the sides of the cut or use the same material you use on the floor on the cut sides.

Paulie
What if you did this and then make a shorter step in front of the hearth? Moving it forward and down should buy the spacing needed. Maybe not as wide as hearth, lose about a third on each side? Post a picture from the side or back of room so we can see how much depth in the room.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Jan. 03, 2022 7:28 am

Cosmocoalnut, have you chosen a path to getting the alignment you need ?
I like the idea of dropping the hearth surface 3 or more inches but, I don’t have to do the work, though I don’t think it is outside your grasp.
Enquiring minds……

Cosmocoalnut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Large

Post by Cosmocoalnut » Tue. Oct. 11, 2022 2:37 pm

So sorry I’m just seeing this message. I actually decided to use a plenum. Had one made and it seems to be working great. Only thing I might change is, not to have the 4 inch holes over lap each other on either side. I would extend the length of the plenum. With the current overlap about 2 inches, it seems it’s creating a turbo effect with the air. I could be wrong because it is getting air and I don’t have a dampner. I was concerned it wasn’t getting enough draft. My flue temp is about 150 degrees.
My original thought of cutting the legs about 3 inches is a bad idea. I was told the bottom of the stove needs air flowing under. I’m also not sure if I’m going through too much coal. I did my first burn about midnight, even closed the front vents and it seems to be holding at 275. It’s now 2:30pm. So, we will see!

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Oct. 11, 2022 4:18 pm

Pictures anyone? :)

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”