Burn time

Wal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Deville 600 , Colombian stove works morning star nu22
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross garnet mica baseburner double heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite / smokeless ovoids
Other Heating: Gas central heating / antique cast iron radiators

Post by Wal » Mon. Oct. 18, 2021 3:42 am

Hi , Decided to put my stove on yesterday as the weather is turning . Filled the stove ( it takes around 50lb in the firepot and around 25lb in the coal mag . Lit it at 1pm and when the wife and I went to bed at 11pm I looked at filling the stove mag which was 3/4 empty . Thought I would try overnight to see how low I could set the stove , so kept the check damper closed and the primary open about a 1/4” . Got up this morning and the anthracite is still glowing faintly. Opened the top of the stove and looked in and to my surprise the stove mag was still full ! Took the temp at the firepot which was 180 f , and the room temp was 80f . So by my reckoning I’ve got 19hrs heat out of 2/3rds of the coal mag . Shook the grate a little ash went into the pan but nothing to right home about . Set the stove to direct mode , and opened the primary . Within minutes it was burning away and the blue ladies were dancing !. Keeping the temp during the day at 540f at the firepot after putting her back into baseburner mode ( wife likes the back of the house warm ) . Just needed to try and get good burn times as anthracite is a extortionate price per tonne in the uk ! So really pleased with the way the stove performs overnight , and how quickly it responds to changes in settings within minutes . Just thought I would share my results 👍.

Attachments

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Oct. 18, 2021 6:45 am

That's a very good run.

If your trying to calculate how much coal you'll need, don't expect the same results as the weather gets more Wintery. Colder air will not only increase the heat demand, it will also increase the draft strength. So you may not be able to get it to run that slow.

Yours is the same coal capacity as my Glenwood #6 base heater. It holds 50 lbs. of nut coal in the firepot and 25 lb. in the mag. During warmer weather it can be run slow enough for nice long burn times, but in colder weather I have to run it hotter and then it is ash accumulation that becomes the time limiting factor.

In the vast majority of Winter weather, about every 12 hours it needs to have ash shaken, or the heat output really starts to drop off as air flow through the firebed becomes restricted by ash buildup. In that time it has used up all the coal in the mag. So the mag keeps the firepot full for that time and thus more consistent heat output, plus it makes refueling and getting back to damper settings a lot faster without risk of puff backs. However, the mag does not give longer burn times until the weather warms back up in Spring and it can be run much slower.

Paul

ReidH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: AGA 47/10 Cooker, Heartland Oval Cookstove

Post by ReidH » Mon. Oct. 18, 2021 9:29 pm

Wal wrote:
Mon. Oct. 18, 2021 3:42 am
Just needed to try and get good burn times as anthracite is a extortionate price per tonne in the uk ! So really pleased with the way the stove performs overnight , and how quickly it responds to changes in settings within minutes . Just thought I would share my results 👍.
Wal,
I think I know how you feel re anthracite prices.
Suspect I'm paying a similar price in Ontario.
I'm sure shipping adds a huge chunk in my case
And another dollar a bag for carbon tax!

Do they still allow the burning of house coal in the UK? Provided you are in somewhat rural areas...

Reid

Wal

Post by Wal » Tue. Oct. 19, 2021 3:53 am

I believe that bituminous coal is going to be banned either later this year or next year for all domestic homes . Whether you are rural or in towns you won’t be able to buy that type of coal from your coal merchant. So man made smokeless ovoids , wood , and anthracite will be your only choice. Problem for myself is that there is only one mine left that produces anthracite in the uk which is in Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 and he has the monopoly on production ( and price) . Even though it’s free delivery it’s over £400 English pounds a tonne , which is a lot of money when you consider your stove might be burning 40/ 50 lbs of anthracite a day in the dead of winter . Wouldn’t take to long to go thru a tonne . Lads who live in the states especially around Pennsylvania get there anthracite for next to nothing compared to the uk , so for them to run a large base heater or baseburner all through out the winter would be fairly economical. In saying that I absolutely love my stove , it heats the back of the house and when it’s dark watching those blue ladies dancing is mesmerising 👍. Just have to put it on when the temps are around freezing 🥶 to get the most benefit rather than running it when the weather is mild. Also the uk has now put up all gas and electricity, and the smaller independent companies that were selling it cheaper , the majority have been put out of business or bought out and amalgamated with the large companies. So again the working class man is getting screwed as your choice is dwindling 🤬.

Blackburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Dunsley Highlander
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut

Post by Blackburn » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 4:17 pm

Howdo, Wal.

I believe the powers that be, have recently granted a licence for another anthracite mine in South Wales, this can only be good news for folk like us in the UK.

Whether this gives the price per ton some stability, remains to be seen.

Glad I'm not burning gas though!

Cheers,

David.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Feb. 22, 2022 6:45 pm

Ahhhhh, ya found one another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Blackburn

Post by Blackburn » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 6:35 am

Haha,

No doubt we'll be doing some moaning about the price of fuel at some point!

:D

Wal

Post by Wal » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 7:29 am

Let’s hope they sell it at a reasonable price . My wife told me yesterday that the gas and electric have gone up by £70 a month . What a joke !!!! Don’t know what the government is thinking , these companies are already making millions of pounds, and then increase it ! No wonder pensioners are freezing in there homes over winter as they can’t afford to put there heating on 🤬🤬🤬.

Blackburn

Post by Blackburn » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 8:38 am

Ridiculous isn't it? But would have been a lot worse if this winter was colder than normal. Gas goes up again in April, and then potentially 30% this coming October, I believe.
Could be a nightmare next winter.

I'll be buying in a large supply of Anth nuts during the summer, just in case coal follows suit. Plenty of folk out with chainsaws at the moment, too, after the high winds. Can't blame 'em really.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”