Not sure what I have here…

CHAOS

Post by CHAOS » Sun. Jul. 11, 2021 1:34 pm

Not sure what I have here. I have it placed in the house approximately where I’d like it to go but still have to build a surround for it and am not sure on clearances and/or materials. Professional installers won’t help because of it being a tiny home and not subject to inspection where it’s located. I had an old parlor stove that I was originally going to go with, but members informed me it was far too big for the space, now approximately 480 sq feet. I sold it and found this one, only markings show NO 68.

Dimensions are top 20 inches wide, 14 deep. Height from floor to top is 20 inches. Legs make up 7 inches of that. The barrel part in the middle is approximately 9 inches in diameter.

I’m hoping this size is more appropriate for the space. Thank you!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jul. 11, 2021 5:48 pm

The low height, and the angled loading door just below stove top, makes it a canning or laundry stove. They were built lower than other types of stoves so that women could reach into tall "water boilers" for canning, and/or, deep tubs for heating water for laundry.

Using the search feature for laundry or canning stoves will bring up other threads about that type stove.

Paul

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Jul. 12, 2021 9:47 pm

Yep, that's it and a nice example too.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”