New guy with 1884 Myers Osborn parlor stove

Nband

Post by Nband » Wed. Jun. 09, 2021 6:05 pm

Hi. New to the group but have been reading the threads here for some time to learn as much as I can prior to getting something. Just got this Myers Osborn Co., Cleveland, OH stove which also has the markings “No 6” and “1884”. Hoping to restore for use in a small camp. It’s the best one I’ve come across after looking for a while so went out on a limb here without knowing as much as I probably should. Any feedback or info on the stove is more than appreciated.

All 3 vents on the front, both doors and the grate lever open, close and move with ease. The ash box appears solid although there was no tray. Also put a light inside the fire box and turned out the light to check for cracks…again after reading that suggestion on this forum. No cracks except some light coming thru the seam along the back.

I do have a few questions for anyone out there…

My guess from reading about the different types is that it’s a direct vent, coal burning parlor stove? Can anyone tell me if it’s hard or soft coal or if that even matters and if wood could be used as well? The grate does rattle and tip using the lever on the right of the stove. The grate appears to be in good shape.

I’m assuming that is the liner in the stove that looks like a flower pot? It appears to be in the worst shape as the front section looks like half of it is missing. Any suggestions on how or where to find a replacement?

Lastly, does anyone have any info on the Myers Osborn company? Been searching the internet for a while but only come up with some trading cards on eBay that they had back then.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

E92F6918-7682-4088-B87C-819DB7EE1785.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.1MB | E92F6918-7682-4088-B87C-819DB7EE1785.jpeg
BE8CEB9C-12D3-4B4A-8892-F46704BC481C.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.3MB | BE8CEB9C-12D3-4B4A-8892-F46704BC481C.jpeg

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”