Back with another weird early stove Barstow franklin

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 11:09 am

Wal wrote:
Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 8:00 am
Fred , Posh is a British word for fancy . So if you went to a expensive restaurant, if you were working class like I am and not used to going to somewhere like that you would say you were off to a posh restaurant. In America you call your lounge a Parlor , so I said lounge was a posh word for Parlor. We all speak the same but sometimes our interpretations of words are different. Like you say hood on a car , we say bonnet 😂.
Now when you say parlor do you mean a drawing room or an American parlor? I live in an italianate style home from 1875 and I have a front parlor for guests with pocket doors separating it from a rear parlor which we use as our sitting room as a everyday room and for closer friends. Unfortunately the front parlor is the one with the fireplace that has just been butchered by a bad 1970s remodel. Originally it had a stove as i have outside air itakes for fresh air since they were all about "carbonic vapors" suffocating them.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 11:26 am

Interesting find today. See link below

It also appears your first two pictures are of a stove rehab’d by a shop in Littleton Ma. and your stove are the final photos?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/306099514069509/

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 12:50 pm

Holdencoal wrote:
Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 11:26 am
Interesting find today. See link below

It also appears your first two pictures are of a stove rehab’d by a shop in Littleton Ma. and your stove are the final photos?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/306099514069509/
Interesting, i hadn't noticed that stove restorer on marketplace. The one that is available is for sale more or less locally and has been installed in the their family home down east since about 1860 when the home was built. I have room for at least two more stoves and i do have a thing for the older less efficient ones 😅

gardener

Post by gardener » Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 3:20 pm

Cdon2948 wrote:
Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 10:58 am
Funny enough i had read that article before I found this stove. I agree that it would most likely take large stove size pieces. I think it would operate like those coal grate fireplaces you see in British victorian era homes. I would also imagine it would heat up pretty quickly with all the air in the world bring drawn up through the coal bed.
Might be wrong, but
if you had the upper cover on, and if you could reach behind the stove, you could still have a manual pipe damper.

Cdon2948

Post by Cdon2948 » Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 4:34 pm

gardener wrote:
Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 3:20 pm
Might be wrong, but
if you had the upper cover on, and if you could reach behind the stove, you could still have a manual pipe damper.
I use both a rear damper and the front draft controls on my 1880s Penn Franklin and i can tune her pretty well that way.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Mar. 03, 2021 4:46 pm

I have a parlor. It was once my kitchen but I moved my kitchen and had to call it something so its a parlor. Its not posh though... maybe if I had one of these stoves it would be! 8-)

All the stoves are real lookers!

Wal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Deville 600 , Colombian stove works morning star nu22
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross garnet mica baseburner double heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite / smokeless ovoids
Other Heating: Gas central heating / antique cast iron radiators

Post by Wal » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 3:33 am

Sorry lads , when I said lounge was a posh word for Parlor , what I should have said was it’s a alternative word for Parlor . We also call the lounge the living room in the uk 🇬🇧. So I suppose it’s got lots of names . Just to be clear posh can also be said about people , restaurants , or big houses. Anything that is expensive and probably out of reach for the working class man. And just to be clear I’m the furthest from posh you could ever get !!! Working class welder/ fabricater, worked on building sites , out in all weathers , worked hard for my money , everything I own is by my own sweat /blood/tears. Old now nearly retired. Furthest from posh you could get . 🤣🤣🤣😂

gardener

Post by gardener » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 4:24 pm

Wal wrote:
Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 3:33 am
Sorry lads , when I said lounge was a posh word for Parlor , what I should have said was it’s a alternative word for Parlor . We also call the lounge the living room in the uk 🇬🇧. So I suppose it’s got lots of names . Just to be clear posh can also be said about people , restaurants , or big houses. Anything that is expensive and probably out of reach for the working class man. And just to be clear I’m the furthest from posh you could ever get !!! Working class welder/ fabricater, worked on building sites , out in all weathers , worked hard for my money , everything I own is by my own sweat /blood/tears. Old now nearly retired. Furthest from posh you could get . 🤣🤣🤣😂
With that beauty of a baseburner you got, I think you are a little closer to posh than you think :lol: good choice for a stove, I know you are enjoying it, and glad you are sharing photos with the rest us :clap:

Wal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Deville 600 , Colombian stove works morning star nu22
Baseburners & Antiques: Red Cross garnet mica baseburner double heater
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite / smokeless ovoids
Other Heating: Gas central heating / antique cast iron radiators

Post by Wal » Thu. Mar. 04, 2021 4:29 pm

😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣 I wish !

stovehospital

Post by stovehospital » Sun. Apr. 11, 2021 6:31 pm

Barstow was the largest foundry in New England in 1850. They made an endless variety of stoves including the Gothic Franklins in the photos. There were several types---wood, coal, and some with an oven built into the top. They are fairly common in my area and we have had many over the years. They also made one called the Orient which is very pretty and another called a portable grate. Barstow also made stoves for other companies. Michigan stove company had several models made here as it was cheaper than shipping individual stoves.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Apr. 12, 2021 8:37 am

Well! Thanx to everyone for some fine reading! I've always enjoyed Our Coal Burnin' Pals from outside the United States! Keep it going,Gang!

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”