Need advice on a possible jamesway

Smalley79

Post by Smalley79 » Sat. Feb. 13, 2021 6:18 pm

So I came across this little stove on facebook marketplace while looking for an affordable stove for a tiny house build. Had huge trouble identifying it until i came across this forum and seen a few similar models. Trouble is it has no makers marks and it needs a complete resto. To top that? Im not entirely sure how id put it together or if its missing anything. If someone out there could give this newbie some info it would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

20210207_103128.jpg
.JPG | 474KB | 20210207_103128.jpg
20210207_102901.jpg
.JPG | 500.3KB | 20210207_102901.jpg

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 4:48 pm

Is that like a livestock stove or brooder stove?

I seem to recall other stoves like that that had some sort of draft control using an interconnecting lever, perhaps that stove may be missing that. If so, I wonder if it can be manually controlled.

What size is your tiny house? The size house that comes to mind when I read 'tiny house', a stove that big might make the place uncomfortably warm. There are a number of miniature stoves, I have two of them, but I don't have enough experience with them to know if they are any good for overnight burns.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 5:30 pm

I saw one of these on a local online sale and when I was web searching info I found some old magazine ads in an image search that told the size. I think they were brooder house heaters.

Isnt there a member here using one of these in a shed?

Whats the diameter of the grate? I can compare that to my Chubby for sizing it.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 5:43 pm

Wonder what the apparatus on the side is?

Smalley79

Post by Smalley79 » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 6:57 pm

I believe it is a brooder stove and the long piece you see i believe is the venting section for draft control or for dampening as it does have a flap in it that opens to allow more airflow. But you may be right that it could be missing a rod or something. I would really like to restore this to usability but am unsure where honestly i would begin as ive never done a resto on a stove before lol
gardener wrote:
Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 4:48 pm

I seem to recall other stoves like that that had some sort of draft control using an interconnecting lever, perhaps that stove may be missing that. If so, I wonder if it can be manually controlled.

What size is your tiny house? The size house that comes to mind when I read 'tiny house', a stove that big might make the place uncomfortably warm. There are a number of miniature stoves, I have two of them, but I don't have enough experience with them to know if they are any good for overnight burns.

Smalley79

Post by Smalley79 » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 7:02 pm

Thank you warmimn for the reply. I believe the grate ( just a quick eyeball guess) is maybe 12 inches in diameter or less by an inch or so. The whole thing is no taller than 2.5 ft or so and about 1.5 to 2 ft in diameter. As far as another member goes using one of these, there is one i seen with a similar model but not exact? I haven't had a chance to reach out to them yet because i work so much.
warminmn wrote:
Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 5:30 pm
I saw one of these on a local online sale and when I was web searching info I found some old magazine ads in an image search that told the size. I think they were brooder house heaters.

Isnt there a member here using one of these in a shed?

Whats the diameter of the grate? I can compare that to my Chubby for sizing it.

Smalley79

Post by Smalley79 » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 7:10 pm

I forgot to mention the size of the tiny house, it is about 190sq.ft.? 20ft long by 8ft wide by 11.5 high. Its supposed to be a heck of a heater but its physical footprint is small so i liked it alot
gardener wrote:
Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 4:48 pm

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 7:35 pm

Smalley79 wrote:
Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 7:02 pm
Thank you warmimn for the reply. I believe the grate ( just a quick eyeball guess) is maybe 12 inches in diameter or less by an inch or so. The whole thing is no taller than 2.5 ft or so and about 1.5 to 2 ft in diameter. As far as another member goes using one of these, there is one i seen with a similar model but not exact? I haven't had a chance to reach out to them yet because i work so much.
I recall seeing one on a thread on here with the automatic feature and lever arm. I did a search and the one I am recalling has the thread heading "Old Sears Stove", skip to the last few posts in the thread.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 8:03 pm

It sounds roughly the same size as my Chubby jr or maybe a little bigger. It should heat that building fine if you fix it, depending on insulation. If it is too warm you can open a window and still heat cheaply. It would use anthracite coal.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 8:56 pm

Found some pics. It looks like it might be some kind of bi-metallic set up. Maybe? Interesting little stove for sure. I bet the chickens only perched on it just one time.

Looks like jamesway is still in business making incubators.

Here’s another mention on CP.

An Old Coal Stove I Found for Sale

Attachments

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 9:16 pm

It looks like the Jamesway brooder stove Freddy picked up quite a while back.

I used my Buckeye brooder stove to heat our greenhouse two years ago.
Mine uses two wafer thermostats and in mild weather it could go 24 hours between tendings.

Paulie

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 9:26 pm

fig wrote:
Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 8:56 pm
Found some pics. It looks like it might be some kind of bi-metallic set up. Maybe? Interesting little stove for sure. I bet the chickens only perched on it just one time.

That stove uses a single wafer thermostat. The thermostat is similar to a miniature accordion. When heated the air trapped between the wafers expands the accordion closing the primary air and giving the stove over fire air. As the stove cools down the wafer thermostat contracts, and the linkages close the over fire damper and opens the primary.

Paulie

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Feb. 17, 2021 5:44 am

Yup... I kept a sheep shed from freezing for a couple of years with my Jamesway. I no longer have it, but I think I could go see it if need be. It had a bi-metal thermostat that opened and closed an air flapper to keep the heat output how you wanted. I would fill and ash it every 12 hours & walk away, it worked well.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Feb. 17, 2021 10:25 am

fig wrote:
Tue. Feb. 16, 2021 8:56 pm

Known as a "bellows thermostats " by the company that made them. They were used on many 1920s and 1930s automobiles to control the shutters in front of the radiator and later on the water flow in the engine block. They were often filled with alcohol - or another type of liquid with a different boiling point, to match the operating temperature range needed. Some were mounted directly to the radiator's top tank. Some, like the aircooled engines I work on, it was mounted next one of the engine cylinder's cooling fins.

Up until recently a man who worked for the original company that made them was rebuilding them for auto restorers. Not sure if he's still rebuilding them, but here's his contact info.

Jim Otto.
10700 Alameda Drive,
Knoxville, TN 37932
865-256-4774

Paul

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Wed. Feb. 17, 2021 11:04 am

Or go to Tractor Supply,Rural King they have the waffle accordion baffle, not sure about arms and cables.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”