Florence 53

R. Theriac
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Fire Power furnace
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ward’s gravity furnace
Baseburners & Antiques: Florence 53
Coal Size/Type: Stoker
Other Heating: Hard wood

Post by R. Theriac » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 8:34 pm

I wanted to ask if anyone on here would be able to inform me on how the internal gas ring on a Florence 53 works and perhaps direct me to a link I could view one and read more about. I’ve found some articles on C. Emrich but nothing really on the Florence cylinder stoves themselves.
Thank you

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 9:16 pm

Some info here.

Florence Hot Blast Tricks

Try archive.org C. Emrich.

R. Theriac

Post by R. Theriac » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 11:52 pm

Thank you, I’ll look into that.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 9:55 am

Here is a bit of info and a modification if burning anthracite.

I believe there is also a weighted flapper on the door that allows air into a channel that is directed to the over fire air ring.

R. Theriac

Post by R. Theriac » Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 12:47 pm

Thank you, I watched the video and did find it useful and informative. I restored a 53 for a individual 2 years ago and it had all the parts. However it is not in use so I can’t watch it work to really see how it functions. I have a 53 of my own also but the previous owner did it no favors and removed parts such as the gas ring for reasons I will never understand. I know the flapper you spoke of. Mine is gone, now covered by a small square plate of metal. I was told by a reliable source that the flap is to be able to stick a poker rod through there and stir the coal bed. Makes sense but I don’t know for sure so I ask these questions. I like to learn as much as I can and appreciate any correct information i can receive. The other night while using the 53 I noticed a nice solid draft of warm air coming up through the rear channel that exists behind the over to round smoke outlet. I was impressed on the ingenuity and wondered how much better it could be had i had all the parts such as the gas ring and just how the ring really worked.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 1:54 pm

I think the gas ring is only beneficial during the initial phase of the burn. Once the volatiles burn off it may longer needed. That’s probably why the guy in the video stuffed the port.

I’m not really sure how much heat is actually added while it’s burning the volatiles. I guess some burning gas is better then no burning gas.

It could also be that it helps improve turn around time when reloading. Maybe it lights off the gasses quicker instead of waiting for them to build up to the point they are lit off by the hot coals in the bottom of the bed. It may also keep them burning. I know sometimes I think the blues are going good only to open the door 10 minutes later to complete darkness, of course that’s in a Clayton with no over fire air.

fig

Post by fig » Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 2:12 pm

Your comment about the flapper got me curious so I went down and looked at my 77. It does, indeed, appear to be a port to access the pot. I always thought it was channeled to the fire ring and allowed more air to it as the flames increased. Boy, was I wrong.

I’ll have to go out and look at the round oak I have with the fire ring now. I thought the same thing with it. It doesn’t have the flapper but a twist type manual vent on the front of the door. I always thought that was channeled to the fire ring as well.

mntbugy
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 2:19 pm

The gas ring is more important burning Bituminous coal and wood. Extra super heated air will burn the gases off better than without.

Florence,Red Cross,Coles are just a few stoves with adjustable gas rings, many other brands are fixed/non adjustable.

Gas rings for Anthracite is needed mostly at the beginning stage of fire, then almost closed till next feeding.

Ebay has a set of rings if some are needed,but not cheap.

mntbugy

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 2:31 pm

Fig, your Round Oak has just a liner. It protects the jack/sheetmetal barrel from red hot coals in fire pot from burning holes in sheetmetal. Not a true gas ring.

Round Oaks kind of suck at burning coal even with the coal basket option. A good wood burner though.

fig

Post by fig » Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 2:38 pm

It appears to be an actual fire ring. Also, if you look at the front of the pot there are two ports that are covered by a plate on the inside of the door when the door is closed. The spinner on the front of the door actually is channeled to those ports via the plate on the inside of the door. That’s why I was thinking the Florence did the same thing.

Attachments

mntbugy

Post by mntbugy » Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 3:13 pm

I'd call that a gas ring, but its not independent from something else.

More like a GW,Flo,or a RCO.

Just like the saying: Primary air, Secondary air and Dairy air.
Last edited by mntbugy on Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R. Theriac

Post by R. Theriac » Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 11:12 pm

Thanks for this info guys, it really helps. Someday I’ll restore the 53 and I’ll have a understanding of how it works. But for now it’s in use because I don’t want to swap out with the warm morning 523 I restored. It looks too good. Now that was a great project I learned a lot about. Simple stove but looks very effective the way they are designed. I’ll save that for another time. And post pictures if I can figure out how to.
Thanks again for the info and have a great weekend

fig

Post by fig » Sat. Feb. 13, 2021 2:50 pm

I re did a 523 a few years ago. Very nice heaters. I’d like to see some pics if you have any.

R. Theriac

Post by R. Theriac » Sat. Feb. 13, 2021 11:28 pm

I’d be glad to post some tomorrow if I can figure out how. I will ask for the wife’s help.

R. Theriac

Post by R. Theriac » Sat. Feb. 27, 2021 8:47 am

Here’s is the 523

Attachments

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”