Coal is an art.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 5:25 pm

The saying, "Anyone can burn wood, but coal is an art" is evident in this video. The subtitles by the fireman point out that just dumping in coal in a firebox doesn't make the best use of it getting the most heat out of it. And each can be somewhat differant. OK, it's a big stove,... but I've noticed similarities to my range and my base heater when loading with different size coal talored to the varing heat output demands. ;)

And, it seems that last night's update for Windows 10 is once again allowing working links to You Tube videos. Yipee!

Paul

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Feb. 11, 2021 6:48 pm

I bet they’d all three be huggin that firebox on a day like today.

LeoinRI
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fonderies de Lion
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: J.S. Peckham Chicago #10, Weso, Our Glenwood 111, Sougland Excelsior 183

Post by LeoinRI » Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 6:11 am

My uncle's friend burned an extra ton of coal hauling freight ~80 miles from the German border to Bruxelles in the winter. Not sure what % went to heat loss and what % went to increased air/rolling friction.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 6:27 pm

Great video. My great Uncle was a fireman on trains during the 1940's. Said the end of his railroading career was when they had to bring a trainload of lumber out of the Adirondacks to Rouses Point in the winter. It was nearly -30F by the time they got to the station in RP. I can only imagine what it was like feeding that locomotive.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”