Hutch BPM stove

Popi44046
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Hitzer model 75
Baseburners & Antiques: Hutch BPH
Coal Size/Type: Nut / anthracite
Other Heating: Propane gas forced air furnace

Post by Popi44046 » Thu. Jan. 28, 2021 6:56 pm

So I finally fired up my Hutch BPM. Let's just say it took off like a rocket ship. I have no damper manual or Bero. I have a masonry chimney clay tile lined less than10 years old on the outside of a two-story story 1932 farmhouse.

I'm thinking I should probably have barometric damper and and a MPD. Primary burn anthracite nut. But I'm a burn wood from time to time

It looks like the doors could have gaskets anyone know? This could be part of my overfire.

Attachments

16118781444275667270560521223435.jpg
.JPG | 360.4KB | 16118781444275667270560521223435.jpg

RT Hauling
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: alaska stoker II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: florin foundry 810
Coal Size/Type: rice and pea

Post by RT Hauling » Fri. Jan. 29, 2021 6:05 am

Having a manual damper will stop the stove from overfiring. I often close the manual damper completely on my hand fired stove. There is a hole in the damper so when it is closed there is still some draft.

Popi44046

Post by Popi44046 » Sat. Jan. 30, 2021 10:35 am

I installed an MPD yesterday. Stove still too hot with damper shut firepit 700f t0 800f body 550f+ stovepipe 330f

I ran an an antique Railroad caboose cast iron stove on same hearth / chimney setup no issues.

Thinking Steve doors require gaskets?

Anyone have documentation on the hutch bpm?

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Jan. 30, 2021 11:39 am

ash pit door not sealing is most likely problem. close a dollar bill in the door in places all the way around and try to pull it out. if you can move the bill you need the silicone and wax paper trick.

the load door is above the grates and top of fire it won't effect over firing, but anything leaking above the fire could cause carbon monoxide to escape into the house, not good either.

Popi44046

Post by Popi44046 » Sat. Jan. 30, 2021 6:57 pm

Update:
I bought some quarter inch stove gasket and some cement this afternoon and installed gaskets on both doors.

Firing it up as I'm writing this and already major difference. I kind of figured the gaskets would do the trick with all the knowledge and research I have done. Basic principle of coal fire plus common sense tells me too much air going through the fire bed and I needed to slow the air flow down

Everything in life is a learning experience I live by the motto what doesn't kill you makes you stronger LOL but there's a backstory does that.

I'm okay with the MPD and I have a CO detector installed where it should be. For me the MPD is for burning wood and it now appears with a properly gasketed Ash door sea air flow knob control will properly regulate the heat of my stove. I still plan to get a good barometric damper because I suspect with fluctuations in temperature outside and high winds that we get that will be a necessity so we will see I'm also thinking about a wind turbine generator but that has nothing to do with heating my house or does it?

I have the hitzer model 72 in the basement with that by metallic thermostat thingy and that seemed to do a pretty good job at keeping that old stove kooking evenly. It's nice to have the second stove for those days it gets down below 20 in this drafty old 1932 house although insulation is high on my list of priorities and I know it will cut down the cost of my coal purchases

Thanks for all the input and I will continue to post my experiences with this handsome old stove. I did purchase an old gemer hot blast 216? I think that's the number that stove in my Saloon on the back of my property. Currently only burning wood in it have to scrounge up the proper coal grate as the prior owner made a makeshift grate. That one's coming completely apart hopefully for a full restore the best part is I got it for $45

Huf
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Hutch BPM & Hitzer 50-93

Post by Huf » Tue. Feb. 23, 2021 11:09 am

I also have a Hutch. It is heating my 120 year old farm house well. I can get around 24 hours off a 40 bag of nut coal. I lined it once I got it and put seals around the doors. Here is vid of lining the firepot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayott0fFtpQ&t=116s

The grates are a bit hard to grind down the ash. After about 3 days of keeping the fire going it seems it is better to let it go out and start a new one. I scrape the tops sometimes with a hot poker to break up the burnt coals, but if I do not watch it closely the fire goes out because of the ash. I think I may try poking the sides of the pot with hot poker to get more ash down before I shake it. Now it's near end of season I will not get much more practice. I usually only need to fire it up when temps get in low 20's as I also have a gas well. The stove could heat the entire original farm house though.

I start it with charcoal. I bought a smaller charcoal chimney that fits in the stove. So light it outside and bring it in to place in stove and turn it upside down once it is inside the stove. Then just place some coal on top and around to get it going.

I read they where making these between the 1850's to 1923 -- can anyone confirm this?

One questions is , how are you maintaining the fire? Any suggestions for this type of stove on how to maintain it for many days? I think this one was made for bituminous and I am burning anthracite. Anyone find a manual?

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”